Well got a charging cord question. And other concerns

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well hopefully they will have my phone in stock next week (they already do but my grandmother told me to wait)

I posted this in another thread with no answers kinda disappointing oh well...

Ok i have a iphone charger 10watt power supply 6' in length (the end that plugs in the wall) will it harm the S3. Any any way?

And how long do the chargers last? I have had 7 apple chargers and one truck charger (off brand(lasted the longest)) (plus one to each if i didn't switch phones) (all broke at the same place where it plugs in the phone (never pulled it by the cord) Kinda upsetting, since apple brand is $20 a piece. Hope better results with the new phone.

Off topic, but what is with the screen cracking issue? Is it a hit and miss or what? Really wish i didnt see that thread this morning i can deal with the sd card issue

The 4s has seen a fair share of abuse and the otter box defender broke (piece on the back that holds the phone in). Not a scratch or crack on the phone. I am hoping the same results same case also.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Never had a micro-USB cable like the S3 fail like that.
But I also have spares for various reasons. They are less then $2 off of Amazon.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well hopefully they will have my phone in stock next week (they already do but my grandmother told me to wait)

I posted this in another thread with no answers kinda disappointing oh well...

Ok i have a iphone charger 10watt power supply 6' in length (the end that plugs in the wall) will it harm the S3. Any any way?

And how long do the chargers last? I have had 7 apple chargers and one truck charger (off brand(lasted the longest)) (plus one to each if i didn't switch phones) (all broke at the same place where it plugs in the phone (never pulled it by the cord) Kinda upsetting, since apple brand is $20 a piece. Hope better results with the new phone.

Off topic, but what is with the screen cracking issue? Is it a hit and miss or what? Really wish i didnt see that thread this morning i can deal with the sd card issue

The 4s has seen a fair share of abuse and the otter box defender broke (piece on the back that holds the phone in). Not a scratch or crack on the phone. I am hoping the same results same case also.

Chargers should last forever. I've never had a charger crap out on me from any of the three devices I've owned. The Samsung cable that I got with my S3, though, was kinda spotty. I have to make sure it's twisted enough in a certain direction, otherwise my phone won't charge. My HTC cables have been great. The one I have now is even ripping near the microUSB connector (not the cable's fault; my cat chewed on it while I was gone one day), and it's still more reliable than my Samsung cable.

As for the screen cracking issue, it must obviously be a rare fluke issue, otherwise you'd see it a lot more often than just in a couple obscure threads on an internet forum.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can use any USB charger to charge the S3, including the 10 watt Apple one. Chargers don't "push" current, the device draws it, and the GS3 won't draw more than about 800 milliamps (mA), according to one forum member who says he's tested it, no matter what the maximum output of the charger is. All USB chargers should put out 5 volts. (If one doesn't, it's defective.)

But there is a caveat with regards to Apple chargers. A little background: The USB standard was designed for computers, and calls for a maximum output of 500 mA. Many of today's devices can draw much more than that. My Galaxy Tab, for example, can draw up to 2 amps (2,000mA). Letting that device try to pull 2 amps from a computer's USB port could damage the computer. So device manufacturers had to find a way to let the device know whether it's hooked up to a computer (limit the current draw fo 500 mA or less) or a charger (allow higher draw). Most of the industry chose one way, Apple (surprise!) chose another.

So if you use a USB data cable with an Apple charger and a non-Apple device like the GS3, that device will think it's connected to a computer and charge more slowly. You can get around this by buying an inexpensive USB charging cable. You can't use these to transfer data between phone and computer, and you don't want to plug them directly into your computer's USB ports, but they'll let you charge at the faster rate with an charger designed for Apple products.

You can buy these inexpensively from Amazon and monoPrice. If you have a number of Apple device chargers, it's probably worth picking up a few.

re: Screen cracking. Agree with the post above. This seems to be rare. As in nearly unheard of, except when the phone has been dropped. I think the larger the screen, the greater the likelihood of damage when you drop it, but it really comes down to luck: exactly how did the phone land, and how hard. If you're really worried, put an Otterbox on the S3, too.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank yall for the great advice. Turns out tomorrow i will be getting the phone. (EDIT, may not depending if the check comes in (snail mail))
I was concerned about the apple charger since its made for ipad. Thanks to the great answer i am not worried using it when needed. (It was worth the extra $$.

I kinda figured the screen issue was rare spent several hrs reading. Up to page 10 it didnt pop up again.

Last edited:

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
well topic switch. i downloaded kies today, long story short i got all my songs witch are apple branded they play well on kies (not sure if that has any thing to do with it) but will i have to convert to play them on the S3? i just it import iTunes playlist (off topic its not in (abc) order

another slightly dumb question but if i take pics with my iPhone and use them as a back ground for the S3 will it have any effect since the screen size is bigger. this is my first android and first phone, and that has a bigger screen.

update::::::: what format do i use (cant remember if its FAT or FAT32) for the micro sound card its a 2gb since it will be a long car ride home and i am planing on using the SD card Just for the pictures. i am putting 100 songs (to start out) (i have 635 total i close to 4gb) and my pics will also be a 100 based on the computer count, will i have to have folders? or am i am up a creek with out a paddle. and wasting my time? i will be upgrading to a 16gb (when i dont know)

thank y'all for the advice so far with this. i am hoping for the best this Saturday.

Last edited:

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
i just wanted to do a quick update on this thread for those that have helped me out with my some what silly questions and concerns

well my check came in for the phone today i was worried about it. but here is what i am getting a red galaxy S3 with an otterbox defender camo
i hope great things with the phone. reading the online forms every night about how to set it up, etc why i went with my 4s in the first place i dont know.

any info about the sound card? if i can throw it in and go. or do i have to format it first because i will be with out songs for the ride home.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Format the card as FAT 32, I think. But the simplest answer is probably to just stick in the phone and use the phone to format it. The phone will pick the right one.

When you select an image to use a wallpaper the SG3 lets you use a cropping tool to select what part of the image you want to use. If you select the entire image, the phone should scale it to fit the screen. The image recorded by the camera is much larger than either phone's screen.

Apple music files should play fine on the GS3 as long as they don't have DRM (copy protection). But I don't know if you can just copy a playlist. An iTunes playlist is really just a list of the songs to play, not the songs themselves. I'm not sure what Kies or the phone will do if you try to copy the playlist. You might have to copy the actual music files.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank ya the phone is great! trying. To type this message and cant see what I am typing I think I fixed It not sure how
I didnt otter box it has the ballistic max s3

I have It formated to fat32 but nothing shows up on sd card used pc for that

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The correct format is Exfat. You need a MS program to do it with the PC, but, why format it? I put my SDXC card in the phone and didn't need to format it.
I think formatting is the reason so many go bad in the phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The correct format is Exfat. You need a MS program to do it with the PC, but, why format it? I put my SDXC card in the phone and didn't need to format it.
I think formatting is the reason so many go bad in the phone.

He says it's a 2gbyte card. You don't need or want exfat on a card that small.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
topic change guys. well i am enjoying the new phone i am still adjusting

bat life seems ok i ran it from 100 to 60% with downloading and playing games on it with in 2hrs not sure if that is correct the screen is using up 90% of batt life (at 3/4 brightness) the pwr save isnt on wifi, blue tooth is off also

is there a way i can download the app i want off the play store to my pc i dont mind the ota download but it takes a good 10min for a small file 2g with 3 bars of service.

thank yall i wonder why my songs didnt pop up on the sd card when its in the phone (formatted it in phone) works now

edit i updated to the latest software for the phone via kies long story short my phone tells me a update is available but wont let me download it with out wifi

Last edited:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn the screen brightness down to almost nothing. Turn off auto brightness.
Just doing that has saved me a lot of battery life.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
well I found the problem low service area off network to one bar service. turned on airplane mode I was able to get 9hrs from 8-5

I am having @ problem with itunes it shows I have 675 songs my phone has 1000 s from the same file

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax