Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi Question

I have my own mobil hotspot on my S3. When I turn it on does it become useable as wi-fi for my own phone?

Also, when I switch my phone to wi-fi must I turn data off or does wi-fi automatically overide my regular connection?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Wi-Fi Question

Turning it on doesn't prevent you from using it yourself on the same device though both will be slower as you're sharing the connection.

You don't need to turn off Mobile Data though be sure it doesn't accidentally switch off if you're streaming or downloading a large file.

Quote Originally Posted by dustini1948 View Post
    I have my own mobil hotspot on my S3. When I turn it on does it become useable as wi-fi for my own phone?
    I'm not sure what you're asking here. Do you want to turn on the wifi hotspot on the S3, and then connect the same s3 to the internet using that same wifi hotspot? I don't think that will work, and even if it does it won't provide you any advantage. If that's not what you mean, please explain what it is you want to do.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by dustini1948 View Post
    Not for your phone. It is utilized for other devices to connect to the internet such as a laptop.

Also, when I switch my phone to wi-fi must I turn data off or does wi-fi automatically overide my regular connection?
    You do not have to turn data off when turning wifi on.

Thanks in advance.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No, you guys got my question correct. The hot spot is only good for other devices but not the phone itself. I was hoping that when wi-fi was not available to me out and about, I could use my own, but I guess not.
    Thanks everyone.

Even if you could, it wouldn't really do anything. I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that what you're looking for is to get a faster data connection by using WiFi. That won't happen. What the WiFi hotspot does it let other devices connect to your phone's WiFi, and use thereby use your cellular data connection. So it's only going to be as fast as your cellular radio anyway. Probably a little slower, since the data would be getting processed multiple times. Turning on the WiFi hotspot doesn't suddenly give you a 56K connection.

And since you'd be using both the WiFi and cellular radios, battery life would be worse, not better.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.