GS3 Screen Timeout & Battery Issues with new JB update

moosepaws

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the new Jelly Bean OS, and so far, I HATE it. The biggest problem is the screen timeout. I can go into Settings > Display > Screen Timeout, and my options range from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. I've tried each one, and have hard-reset the phone, but no matter what, the screen turns off and Locks after 5 seconds. On ICS, if the screen turned off, and you caught it right away, you could just hit the side button, and it would come back, or hit the side button and swipe the screen (now I don't remember!). It wouldn't lock unless you turned the screen off manually, or if it turned off itself, and wasn't "caught" within 5 seconds. I have a Power Controls app, and can make the screen stay on unless I turn it off manually. However, if I leave that feature on, and I bump a button in my purse/pocket, it won't turn off, and it kills the battery. There's a new pup-up, too, when I choose a screen timeout that says "

My battery life on JB is crappy vs. ICS as is. I have a workout app that requires GPS and would take ~20% battery life over an hour run on ICS. It now takes 90%+ in less than an hour. I can't even use it, since my phone will die before I'm done my run. I don't have any new apps, or different settings (other than the screen timeout problem) since upgrading from ICS to JB. So there's no reason it should suddenly have such a battery problem. I had a 3 year-old GS1 that had better battery life than my 6-month-old GS3 with new JB.

Failing a way to fix the screen timeout, anyone know how to get back to ICS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are dozens of threads from people who have / had issues after the JB update. The answer is the same in every case: back up your data and do a factory reset.

It's a nuisance, but the truth is that a major OS update like Honeycomb to JB affects so many things that impact, and are impacted by, the multitude of apps and customizations we have installed, that it's not surprising things get broken. If the update were applied to a bare, factory spec GS3, it probably wouldn't cause any issues.

blackeyepug

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
i had a simillar problem did the hard reset and all was good maybe your file got interupted during download but usually hard reset fixes all try one more time

moosepaws

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had three blackberries, and two androids, and have never had issues I couldn't fix with an occasional "hard reset", or just finding the right settings/app. I was under the impression that a "hard reset" was taking out the battery while the device is on. That's what I did, (on the advice of other threads I read here) but didn't see any changes. If that's not what it is, somebody please let me know! However, I don't know what a "factory reset" is. I wish I would have had a bare GS3 with a factory-installed OS. The fact is, I never wanted to do the upgrade, but due to the persistence of the "a new update is available" pop-up, and not telling someone playing with my phone to always hit "no/cancel", I'm stuck with a user-installed OS I can't stand.

Also, I don't know if it would matter, but I never had Honeycomb on this phone, just the factory installed ICS. I would expect issues if I skipped over OS's, but I just went from 4.0 to 4.1.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I said "factory reset," not "hard" reset. There is a difference.

The factory reset will return your phone to, essentially, like new, but with the new OS firmware version. All of your installed apps and data will be removed. It will be as if you bought a brand new GS3 with 4.1.1 pre-installed. That's why you need to make sure your data is backed up first.

To do a factory reset, go to Settings / Back up and restore / Factory data reset.

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think i may be having a similar issue with my battery since the update including a short delay with the screen timeout after clearing my ram. If i do a factory reset will my saved data be altered in any way?

I'm on 4.1.2 btw and its the international version.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think i may be having a similar issue with my battery since the update including a short delay with the screen timeout after clearing my ram. If i do a factory reset will my saved data be altered in any way?

I'm on 4.1.2 btw and its the international version.

As stated in the post immediately above yours:

I said "factory reset," not "hard" reset. There is a difference.

The factory reset will return your phone to, essentially, like new, but with the new OS firmware version. All of your installed apps and data will be removed. It will be as if you bought a brand new GS3 with 4.1.1 pre-installed. That's why you need to make sure your data is backed up first.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest doing what Meyer said. We have seen this issue before and while factory reset do suck majorly.. It usually fixes these types of issues. So I'd try that if you want to fix it so you can then enjoy your phone again :).

To do this backup your data (contacts, photos, things of that nature) and then go to your menu button (at the bottom left of your phone) then go System Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset.

Again backup your data since this wipes the phone.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

moosepaws

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had three blackberries, and two androids, and have never had issues I couldn't fix with an occasional "hard reset", or just finding the right settings/app.

And sure enough... it was a SETTING! I was focused in Settings > Display > Screen Timeout since it was a Screen Timeout Issue. However, I found a setting I hadn't seen before!
Settings > LOCK SCREEN > Secured Lock Time. Changing the Secured Lock time to any time setting at all made both the Secured Lock Time and the Screen Timeout settings operational. Any setting on either, and it works. No other changes. It's like the new Secured Lock Time customizable setting needed to be "activated" or something. Weird, but fixed!

mtmorrissey

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
OMG. I have been fighting the screen timeout issue for over a week. It was a setting under Lock Screen. Somehow it was set to 30 seconds and Display Timeout was set to 5 minutes. Couldn't figure out why my display timed out after 30 seconds when it was set to 5 minutes. It was the Lock Screen setting. Thanks for the lead. Technology, sometimes it sucks, but I couldn't live without it!!!

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
OMG. I have been fighting the screen timeout issue for over a week. It was a setting under Lock Screen. Somehow it was set to 30 seconds and Display Timeout was set to 5 minutes. Couldn't figure out why my display timed out after 30 seconds when it was set to 5 minutes. It was the Lock Screen setting. Thanks for the lead. Technology, sometimes it sucks, but I couldn't live without it!!!

That hasn't fixed my screen timeout issue. My display remains turned on, even when locked. I have to push the power button to turn the display off. Display timeout is set to 1 minute (have tried all settings) and the Screen Lock is set to Swipe with no security. It seems to be temporarily fixed when I restart the device, but will begin acting up again in another 3 hours or so.

Oddly enough, this appears in conjunction with the problem with my sound-- Volume turned all the way up, but no notification sounds at all. Again, can be fixed with a power cycle, but will occur again in a few hours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney