[Solved] Email app background color?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Am I hallucinating?

I could swear that before yesterday, the standard email app (not Gmail), showed black text on a white background. Now it's white text on a black background. I haven't [knowingly] installed any updates to either the app or to the system. And I can't find any settings to change the color scheme.

Has it always been white on black? What color scheme is your email? Am I losing my mind? :p

Last edited:

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Email app background color?

Seems there is a setting buried somewhere I've seen regarding inverse palette or such...

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

So you're confirming that, on your S3, the mail app is black text on a white background? At least I'm not going crazy.

Nope, I just wanted to see if I wanted it to happen. It hasn't though, don't have an S3 yet. Lol

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

The native email app on my S3 has always been white text on a black background. I was on 4.0.1 and now I'm on 4.1.1 and there was no change.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Not sure if this will help; In settings under "power saving" there is a setting that affects only email and internet backgrounds.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

The native email app on my S3 has always been white text on a black background. I was on 4.0.1 and now I'm on 4.1.1 and there was no change.

Well, maybe I am losing my mind then. :)

Not sure if this will help; In settings under "power saving" there is a setting that affects only email and internet backgrounds.

Thanks. I saw that. All it does is make the screen dimmer.

I guess it's supposed to be this way.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I have a T Moblie S3 and noticed that after the most recent update (bugfix) about a week ago that the stock email client changed from black text on white background to white text to a black background. I know that you used to be able to toggle that (in the mail client I believe) but now it appears forced (white text on black background)...possibly for battery savings.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

OK, I've figured out what made it change on my GS3. There is a file in [root]/system/csc called feature.xml. You need to be rooted to edit this file. Previously, I had edited it to change a camera setting to enable the Shutter Sound menu item, which for some reason Sprint disables on their phones. (see this thread if you're interested: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ow-turn-off-your-shutter-sound-2-minutes.html)

Anyway, recently (like on 2/14), I edited this file again, to try to enable the ability to take a picture while on a phone call. Another setting which Sprint, for some reason, disables. (see this thread, if you're interested: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/188817-unable-take-pictures-when-call.html)

So, I edited the file and rebooted the phone so the changes would take effect, but I still couldn't take pictures during a phone call. Not really a big deal to me, so I didn't think much of it.

Tonight, it dawned on me. Editing the file in ES File Explorer changes the permissions on the file. The system could no longer read the features.xml file at all. So I went in, changed the permissions to rw-r--r--, rebooted the phone, and now I can take pictures while on a call. What does this have to do with my email background, you're wondering? Patience, grasshopper. :)

Shortly thereafter, I checked my mail, read a new message, exited the email app, and went "Whoa!" Back into the email app, and it's now white on black again! So, back into the features.xml, file, scroll down, and down, and down, skimming through the entries, and all the way at the bottom come to a section labelled " <!--Email-->. Sure enough, one of the settings in there is "UseFixedBgColorAsWhte" and the value is True. With the read permissions messed up, the system couldn't read this value, and apparently defaults to black. I may try setting it to False and see if the email program then give me an option to set the background color.

Another interesting sounding option in the Email section is "EasDisableOptionSyncInterval" which is set to True. Setting it to false should enable that option, I think. Right now, the phone gives me 6 options for sync interval, including Push and Manual. I wonder what it will show if I set this to False. (Eas implies this is only for Enterprise Active Sync accounts.)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. If you're rooted, and adventurous, you might want to read through this file. There are a ton of options set there. I would strongly, very strongly, suggest making a backup before changing anything. And remember to make sure the file permissions are set correctly (rw-r--r--) before rebooting your phone. If you don't understand what this means, and don't have at least a vague familiarity with the syntax of XML, you probably want to avoid messing with this file.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Cool that you found it. Sorry it was self inflicted. People like you who take the time to dig into the innards and sort these things out pave the way for the rest of us propeller heads to more opportunities to tweak, twist and modify.

AndroidElite

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Solved] Email app background color? IT WORKED

Meyerweb... YOUR AWESOME!!

My AT&T Galaxy S3 stock email has always been white background with black text.

Last night i installed a custom rom and now the email app is black with white text which is annoying.

I could NOT find a single setting alowing me to change background to white. I gave ES File Explorer superuser access, closed email app and cleared cache and data. Went into phone root/system/csc. Opened features.xml using a note text editor with super user access.

Sure enough down near the bottom I saw this:

<!-- Email -->

<CscFeature_Email_UseFixedBgColorAsWhite>false
</CscFeature_Email_UseFixedBgColorAsWhite>

I changed false to true. Saved file. Opened email app and walla its white.

jksmalls

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

OK, I've figured out what made it change on my GS3. There is a file in [root]/system/csc called feature.xml. You need to be rooted to edit this file. Previously, I had edited it to change a camera setting to enable the Shutter Sound menu item, which for some reason Sprint disables on their phones. (see this thread if you're interested: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ow-turn-off-your-shutter-sound-2-minutes.html)

Anyway, recently (like on 2/14), I edited this file again, to try to enable the ability to take a picture while on a phone call. Another setting which Sprint, for some reason, disables. (see this thread, if you're interested: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/188817-unable-take-pictures-when-call.html)

So, I edited the file and rebooted the phone so the changes would take effect, but I still couldn't take pictures during a phone call. Not really a big deal to me, so I didn't think much of it.

Tonight, it dawned on me. Editing the file in ES File Explorer changes the permissions on the file. The system could no longer read the features.xml file at all. So I went in, changed the permissions to rw-r--r--, rebooted the phone, and now I can take pictures while on a call. What does this have to do with my email background, you're wondering? Patience, grasshopper. :)

Shortly thereafter, I checked my mail, read a new message, exited the email app, and went "Whoa!" Back into the email app, and it's now white on black again! So, back into the features.xml, file, scroll down, and down, and down, skimming through the entries, and all the way at the bottom come to a section labelled " <!--Email-->. Sure enough, one of the settings in there is "UseFixedBgColorAsWhte" and the value is True. With the read permissions messed up, the system couldn't read this value, and apparently defaults to black. I may try setting it to False and see if the email program then give me an option to set the background color.

Another interesting sounding option in the Email section is "EasDisableOptionSyncInterval" which is set to True. Setting it to false should enable that option, I think. Right now, the phone gives me 6 options for sync interval, including Push and Manual. I wonder what it will show if I set this to False. (Eas implies this is only for Enterprise Active Sync accounts.)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. If you're rooted, and adventurous, you might want to read through this file. There are a ton of options set there. I would strongly, very strongly, suggest making a backup before changing anything. And remember to make sure the file permissions are set correctly (rw-r--r--) before rebooting your phone. If you don't understand what this means, and don't have at least a vague familiarity with the syntax of XML, you probably want to avoid messing with this file.

Hi there, thanks for your help so far! I got my phone rooted, downloaded ES file explorer, turned on my root explorer, changed permission to read/write, read only, read only ...but when i go into device, system, csc..there are no options for features.xml

only see customer.xml, language.xml, others.xml, sales_code.dat, default_workspace.xml

What am i doing wrong?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Really?

Here's what I have on mine:

Screenshot_2013-09-15-21-33-48.png

Do you have a Galaxy S3? Are you running stock ROM? What version of Android, and if not stock what ROM are you running?

Make sure you're in the root directory (device) and use the search function to look for feature.xml (note, no 's' on feature), and see if it's located somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21