Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 can't boot into recovery mode, need help asap

Hi guys, I'm a bit nervous right now. I successfully rooted my Galaxy S3 i9305 a few hours ago. I tried installing a custom rom after choosing the Wipe Data / Factory Reset option from the CWM screen, and then I did Wipe Cache Partition. I tried installing the rom but it failed so it was aborted. I then rebooted my device and it loaded up the stock rom (as you would buy it new, asking me to enter details etc)..After I set it all up I installed Rom Manager and clicked Reboot To Recovery from the app, once it rebooted it was stuck on the Samsung boot logo, and now it's always doing that. I cannot enter recovery mode at all, I can only access ODIN mode. Once I enter ODIN mode my phone isn't detected by the Odin program.

Can someone please help me as I'm quite worried. Eagerly awaiting your responses! Thanks man.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: S3 can't boot into recovery mode, need help asap

Quote Originally Posted by ffss View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a bit nervous right now. I successfully rooted my Galaxy S3 i9305 a few hours ago. I tried installing a custom rom after choosing the Wipe Data / Factory Reset option from the CWM screen, and then I did Wipe Cache Partition. I tried installing the rom but it failed so it was aborted. I then rebooted my device and it loaded up the stock rom (as you would buy it new, asking me to enter details etc)..After I set it all up I installed Rom Manager and clicked Reboot To Recovery from the app, once it rebooted it was stuck on the Samsung boot logo, and now it's always doing that. I cannot enter recovery mode at all, I can only access ODIN mode. Once I enter ODIN mode my phone isn't detected by the Odin program.

Can someone please help me as I'm quite worried. Eagerly awaiting your responses! Thanks man.
    Stop worrying , i never suggest using Rom manager first off.... to get odin to work try rebooting your pc and using a different USB port. let me know if it works
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks man. Odin is working now. I just installed Foxhound ROM via CWM Recovery, after installing it it still gets stuck on the S3 boot screen. I'll wait for your advice.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thanks man. Odin is working now. I just installed Foxhound ROM via CWM Recovery, after installing it it still gets stuck on the S3 boot screen. I'll wait for your advice.
    I dont have your device, so help me out by giving me the link to where you got this rom
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I got it from

I don't mind flashing anything right now as long as I can get my phone working. So if you recommend anything I'll do it!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I got it from

I don't mind flashing anything right now as long as I can get my phone working. So if you recommend anything I'll do it!
    what carrier is your device?.... try going into cwm recovery, factory reset, wipe cache partition and go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache and reboot
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It was T-Mobile but I unlocked it and am on O2.

I cannot access CWM recovery anymore, even when flashing it again. Once it gets PASS on Odin my phone reboots and gets stuck on the boot screen. This wasn't happening before I flashed using Foxhound rom.

Is there anything similar to CWM that I can try flashing? Can I try flashing a rom directly via Odin? Like the stock rom or something?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I just managed to get into CWM recovery! I'll try what you said.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

It was T-Mobile but I unlocked it and am on O2.

I cannot access CWM recovery anymore, even when flashing it again. Once it gets PASS on Odin my phone reboots and gets stuck on the boot screen. This wasn't happening before I flashed using Foxhound rom.

Is there anything similar to CWM that I can try flashing? Can I try flashing a rom directly via Odin? Like the stock rom or something?
    close odin, reopen it then uncheck auto reboot, when recovery is done flashing, disconnect remove the battery and use the button combo to boot into recovery..... did you make a nandroid backup before you flashed?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It still gets stuck on the boot screen. Which ROM shall I try flashing?

Yes I did make a nandroid backup. Where is that backup and how shall I restore it?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

It still gets stuck on the boot screen. Which ROM shall I try flashing?

Yes I did make a nandroid backup. Where is that backup and how shall I restore it?
    You need to use CWM to restore it,,,is this the CWM you are using?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I'm using the one here:

I just restored my backup. It gets passed the boot screen but now gets stuck randomly on the moving logo (that blue beam that wizzes around the Samsung text). It's as if something in my backup is corrupt and so it makes my phone get stuck.

Do you think I should try flashing the stock rom? Where can I download it from? Thanks for the help by the way.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hey dude it's working now! I'm in. What shall I do now to keep everything safe? I want to install the Omega rom. Shall I do anything before I flash that rom?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I'm using the one here:

I just restored my backup. It gets passed the boot screen but now gets stuck randomly on the moving logo (that blue beam that wizzes around the Samsung text). It's as if something in my backup is corrupt and so it makes my phone get stuck.

Do you think I should try flashing the stock rom? Where can I download it from? Thanks for the help by the way.
    The problem is that if you flash an odin stock rom you will need to unlock the phone again..
    try using the cwm i posted and let me know if it works any better

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Hey dude it's working now! I'm in. What shall I do now to keep everything safe? I want to install the Omega rom. Shall I do anything before I flash that rom?
    download goo manager from the market, open it , hit menu button, then choose install openrecoveryscript. boot into recover and do a new Nandroid backup
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Done, next?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

By the way when I rooted my phone using this method:

I forgot to run the Remove-boot-recovery.p.zip, was that necessary? What does it do?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

By the way when I rooted my phone using this method:

I forgot to run the Remove-boot-recovery.p.zip, was that necessary? What does it do?
    boot-recovery.p.zip reinstalls the stock recovery as soon as the phone boots up, if you dont remove it directly after flashing cwm recovery the next time you boot the phone you willl have stock recovery again
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Oh, so shall I do it then? Is it done by installing it from within CWM Recovery?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Oh, so shall I do it then? Is it done by installing it from within CWM Recovery?
    You need to use root explorer or some other root file manger find that file and either delete it or rename it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

DroidXcon, having some trouble. I need to transfer some files to my device but usb connection is no longer doing anything after I recorded this nandroid backup. It makes the sound of connection, but no icon appears in the top left of my device like "Connected as a media device". How would I transfer files to my device?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

DroidXcon, having some trouble. I need to transfer some files to my device but usb connection is no longer doing anything after I recorded this nandroid backup. It makes the sound of connection, but no icon appears in the top left of my device like "Connected as a media device". How would I transfer files to my device?
    hmm, did you try rebooting your pc and using a different usb port or different cable?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Yup, it's definitely something wrong with the phone, because it says insert network sim too. I guess my only way would be to transfer a rom via wifi? Shall I wait until is back up and download the stock rom so I can reset everything? I'll forget about the root for now.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Yup, it's definitely something wrong with the phone, because it says insert network sim too. I guess my only way would be to transfer a rom via wifi? Shall I wait until is back up and download the stock rom so I can reset everything? I'll forget about the root for now.
    since i dont have your device and you have it flashed to a different network i think you should ask for help from developers with your your device, i feel like somewhere along the way you flashed something that was incompatible. i would start by asking for help here . if you flash samfirmware file you may loose your unlock if you have not done so already.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I have not flashed any stock rom yet. I unlocked my phone via an official unlock code from Samsung. so if i install the stock rom will my phone lose its unlocked status?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast