1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Personal Hotspot - keeps trying to switch to WiFi?

UK S3, 9300?

When using personal hotspot, I keep getting a pop up telling me that switching to WiFi will turn personal hotspot off. I have the option to cancel or agree to switch to WiFi. If I do nothing, personal hotspot continues to work, and the popup remains...... So not a big deal but I am wondering if something is searching for WiFi, even if wifi is off? If so, it must be using battery?

How can I tell if something is searching for a wifi connection, even if I have WiFi turned off?

And how can I stop the popup, which is more irritating than anything else?

I'm guessing solving the first question will resolve the second

Many Thanks

Richard

Default Re: Personal Hotspot - keeps trying to switch to WiFi?

I have exactly the same condition, unfortunately with no answer. I look forward to the resolution.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dustini1948 View Post
    I have exactly the same condition, unfortunately with no answer. I look forward to the resolution.
    Looks like its not a common problem, so not much yearning for a solution. I can live with it - it doesn't seem to affect how the phone works.

I would think that some other app on your phone is trying to use WiFi. Does the i9300 have anything similar to Sprint's Connection Optimizer, which turns on WiFi periodically to check for available WiFi Access Points?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I have the same issue, the pop-up keeps coming back about every 5 seconds after I say I want to keep the hotspot open. I normally only use the hotspot at work (the work network blocks YouTube and FaceBook, so I use the hotspot to connect my laptop), and I never use the work WiFi with my phone.

Anyone find a way to turn the pop-up off?

Settings / Wi-Fi / Menu (button)/ Advanced

Make sure Network Notification is unchecked, and Check for Internet Service is unchecked.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Settings / Wi-Fi / Menu (button)/ Advanced

Make sure Network Notification is unchecked, and Check for Internet Service is unchecked.
    Both unchecked when I had a look, so not that?

Are you on Sprint? If so, make sure Sprint Connection Optimizer is turned off. If not on Sprint, and you have some similar capability, make sure that's off.

Otherwise, do you have any applications installed that might try to do something with network data? I know there are apps that will search for open wifi connections, for example. Anything like that could cause the problem you describe.