Send S3 to Samsung for screen repair, they send back refurb phone. Should I be angry?

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all. I sent in my S3 that I bought from Verizon (admittedly I bought a refurb off the site for $400 no contract) to repair the cracked glass. Screen was fine.

Well I guess Samsung won't just replace the glass and they charge me $135(+/-) to replace the whole screen. I send them the phone and they send me an email that it's gonna take a little while because they are missing a part (the screen I guess?)

I get the phone back a little over a week later and I can see right away that it's not the phone I sent them. I had one little dimple on the frame on the top from dropping it. That dent is gone and this phone is banged up around the corners. Also, the sticker under the battery (with the serial number) has obviously been replaced, the corner of it was peeled and it is dog-eared.

Does this sound sketchy to anyone else?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It sounds sketchy to me but I wouldn't know how samsung operates. I would be passed if I received a refurb

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's how almost all companies operate. If the device can't be easily repaired, it's replaced with a refurb. You sent them a broken used phone. You got back a working used phone. Do you really think they owe you a new one?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't if the glass was cracked. If my screen was messed up due to like manufacturing issues (dead pixels, messed up colors, etc.) then I'd expect a new phone.. Since that's their mess up..

But a cracked screen due to a drop or whatever? No. I wouldn't expect a new phone because that was caused by human handling.. Not a manufacturer defect.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
It's how almost all companies operate. If the device can't be easily repaired, it's replaced with a refurb. You sent them a broken used phone. You got back a working used phone. Do you really think they owe you a new one?

No, I absolutely don't expect a new one. I expect to get back the phone that I sent them, as they represent their service center to "repair" my phone, not replace my phone.

Please keep in mind that my perspective is that of a Fascinate owner that had to replace my phone on warranty no less than 5 times. When buying a discounted refurb phone, there is some trepidation that you are buying buggy hardware that was already returned by a dis-satisfied customer. I was happy to discover that the phone I bought was snappy and bug free. i don't want to have to roll the dice any more than I have to.

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
It's probably just easier and more cost effective for them if they just send you a whole new phone. They actually aren't able to replace just the glass because the glass and display are one entire assembly piece.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I just had my phone replaced, it's a refurb and I couldn't tell the difference either stock or rooted. So to answer your question, no....you shouldn't be angry.....

You said you bought a refurb in the first place, and they're sending you a "new" refurb.....did I read that correctly? Yes....definitely....you shouldn't be angry.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To the original poster... it's pretty standard for companies in general to send refurbished units to customers. It saves time in the whole process. You send them a broken phone that's a refurb... they pick a phone that has been refurbished to proper condition and send it back to you. That way you don't need to wait for them to actually repair the phone.

So don't get your panties in a knot!

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
To the original poster....

So don't get your panties in a knot!

In the OP's defense, if you're told that the broken screen on your phone will be "repaired", I think Samsung should either have repaired it, or asked him if he's alright with them simply sending him a refurbished phone. If he wasn't alright with it, Samsung should have sent the phone back to him, unrepairable.

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
In the OP's defense, if you're told that the broken screen on your phone will be "repaired", I think Samsung should either have repaired it, or asked him if he's alright with them simply sending him a refurbished phone. If he wasn't alright with it, Samsung should have sent the phone back to him, unrepairable.

This. And I most likely say to them "That's fine, just send me another phone" every time.

But:
1) If that's the policy, just say it up front and dont try and sneak it past me.
2) Many (if not most) swaps like that work the other way around: they ship you a replacement phone first then you send yours back so you aren't without a phone choir a week.

And lastly, while I found this policy to be dishonest and inconvenient at worst, extrapolate this policy to other facets of life and it shines a light on the problem: How would you feel if this happened when you sent your car in for a new transmission, or wanted to get a new roof on your house, or took your kid in to have their tonsils I out? :)

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing being "snuck past you"... as I said... this is just they way modern electronics companies operate.

I don't even understand the problem here. You send in a broken phone... and got back the same model phone in working condition. Do you miss the dents and scratches you had on your old phone or something???

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing being "snuck past you"... as I said... this is just they way modern electronics companies operate.

I don't even understand the problem here. You send in a broken phone... and got back the same model phone in working condition. Do you miss the dents and scratches you had on your old phone or something???

Thanks for the education on modern companies. I know how they work.
For instance, you call Verizon with a warranty issue. They say, "No problem, we will send you a different phone and you send this one back to us. We'll fix it then give it to someone else down the road"
Yes, that is how most companies usually work.

Samsung, on the other hand, said they would fix MY phone.
They took my phone and peeled off the serial number sticker and put it on the back of a different phone, one that had more dents than my old one (so YES, I miss the dent on my old phone)
They sent it back and said "Here's YOUR phone back. We fixed it for you!"
That is how "trying to sneak something past you" works.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
And lastly, while I found this policy to be dishonest and inconvenient at worst, extrapolate this policy to other facets of life and it shines a light on the problem: How would you feel if this happened when you sent your car in for a new transmission, or wanted to get a new roof on your house, or took your kid in to have their tonsils I out? :)
Apple does this. Since absolutely everything has to be given to them to be fixed. But just because I give them a used iPod doesn't mean I'm okay with getting back some other random used iPod. I want my iPod back with a new battery in it. We just took our 1998 Rav4 into Toyota for a new battery and alternator. I expect my Forest Green Rav4 when I pick it up, not some other 1998 Rav4 with a new battery and alternator.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's a BIG difference between getting a different iPod of the same type when yours is broken... and getting a new car when you take it in for an oil change.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
There's a BIG difference between getting a different iPod of the same type when yours is broken... and getting a new car when you take it in for an oil change.
You say that now. Let's see how this plays out in 15 years when it becomes the norm. :eek: Slippery slope.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I suspect if one were to actually read the terms of the repair agreement, it says "repair or replace at Samsung's option." That is pretty standard across all consumer goods industries. Few people actually bother to read what they agree to, but that's hardly Samsung's fault.

But:
1) If that's the policy, just say it up front and dont try and sneak it past me.
2) Many (if not most) swaps like that work the other way around: they ship you a replacement phone first then you send yours back so you aren't without a phone choir a week.

As I said above, I doubt they "snuck" anything past anyone.

Sorry, but these analogies are just silly. A car is both more expensive, and designed for the relatively easy replacement of parts. Phones aren't. (In reality, though, if you take your car in for a warranty replacement of the transmission, there's a pretty good chance you're going to get a rebuilt one.)

You say that now. Let's see how this plays out in 15 years when it becomes the norm. :eek: Slippery slope.

And that one's beyond silly.

There's a video on this site (search for it) of what's involved in replacing a screen. Watch that, and you'll understand why Samsung doesn't actually do that repair. The labor cost would probably be far more than most people would be willing to pay.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you buy it unlocked or through a carrier. I bought mine through a carrier, and every phone I buy through a carrier they always state that if a phone breaks, you always have a chance of receiving a refurbished product. Minus the data you had on the phone, all refurbished phones should be the same as they are all fixed to good condition (should be new to the eye.) I would not be mad because I already know this. In your case it's reasonable that you are mad, but Samsung did not do anything wrong in sending you a refurbished device.