Separate Work and Personal Data and Apps - Samsung Commercial?

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I saw a Samsung commercial about a month or two ago, and I am almost positive that there was something in it showing someone with what looked like a Blackberry for work, and an iPhone for personal, and someone who had a Galaxy S3 walked by and mentioned that they didn't have to do that with the Galaxy, that they could have both Work and Personal stuff on their phones, and keep it separate. It sounded kind of like what Blackberry is doing with their new Z10's, called Blackberry Balance or something like that. So I asked the Samsung rep at the mall the other day about that, because I'd also like to get away from carrying two phones, and be able to keep the stuff separate. I'd like to make it so that if I allow work email and work apps on my phone, that I can shut down that partition or turn off notifications for it once I leave work if I want to. The rep at the Mall had no clue what I was talking about, and had never heard of this on the S3 or any other phone for that matter. I am just wondering if I was just imagining this on this commercial or what, I only saw it once. Maybe I was dreaming? Does the S3 have this functionality built in? I have a Blackberry right now, but I am not likely going to be moving to the Z10, or any other BB for that matter right now. I think I'm done with them, so don't go suggesting that I go with the Z10, because after doing a LOT of research on it, I have found it just won't meet all my needs completely at this point.

capT

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that commercial is saying the Samsung SGS3 and Note 2 have seperate work and personal profiles like the new Blackberries. What that commercial is showing is that Samsung devices aren't just for fun... they are also capable of doing work related tasks as well (ie. you seeing the guy working on a spreadsheet on his Note 2).

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that commercial is saying the Samsung SGS3 and Note 2 have seperate work and personal profiles like the new Blackberries. What that commercial is showing is that Samsung devices aren't just for fun... they are also capable of doing work related tasks as well (ie. you seeing the guy working on a spreadsheet on his Note 2).

Yup.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Is this the commercial you are referring to?

Yep, that's the one. And now that I watch it again, it really doesn't seem to say that at all... Owell. I do like the idea of having that feature, maybe one of these days it will get to Android? Owell, that's what happens when you only watch it once I guess.

capT

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There was another commercial with a young woman with a Galaxy, and an older woman with a BB and (I think) an iPhone. The young woman says "you know that with the Galaxy...." and the older one says something like "respect my system."

Anyway, you can keep your personal and work stuff separate, for the most part. I use the regular mail app for my work email (Outlook EAS) and Gmail for my personal email. But you can have two (or more) separate accounts in the standard email app and view them separately or merged (and switch how you view them at any time. You can also set the notifications in the mail app by time, and have your work account not notify you of emails during non-work hours.

I put my personal calendar events on Google calendar, and my work events on Outlook EAS calendar. I display them both in the same calendar on my phone, but if you used two different calendar apps I think you might be able to display Google events on one and Outlook events on the other, by configuring which accounts sync with which calendar app Actually, now that I think about it, that probably won't work, as there's only one calendar database But.if your work calendar only has events for work hours, it won't notify you after hours.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to segregate work and personal contacts, though.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a way if your work uses Outlook Exchange. The Touchdown app, I believe, will segregate your EAS information completely from your personal stuff.Separate calendars and contacts, as well as email.It's not free, or even cheap, but if you really want to segregate your accounts this should do it.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
There was another commercial with a young woman with a Galaxy, and an older woman with a BB and (I think) an iPhone. The young woman says "you know that with the Galaxy...." and the older one says something like "respect my system."

That was the same commercial we are talking about. Watch the commercial I posted above. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I just looked at the beginning and thought it was a different one. Anyway, it is possible to mostly segregate work and personal accounts, if you want to.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There apparently seem to be several things that do this. After doing some research, I found that AT&T has something called "Toggle", Samsung apparently has something called "Knox", Citrix has something, I think it was called XenMobile, there is an app from Divide.com... I suspect there are others as well, but those were the ones I found. Each of these are ways of actually partitioning off a section of the phone for work, keeping personal separate. Looks like my company is looking into the Citrix application. So I should be ok I guess.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I use my S3 primarily for business but I only have one phone so personal use too. My MS Exchange server business email which runs through Outlook is on my phone with the Outlook calendar and I use Yahoo through the Yahoo email app & Gmail for personal emails and the Google calendar which is also on my phone. You have to change your calendar settings to switch from the Outlook calendar to the Google but that only takes a couple of seconds or you can have both calendars display to one on the phone (which I don't like as I don't want business clients viewing personal calendar entries when I'm scheduling appointments). For reminders the Google calendar sends emails to Gmail, the Outlook calendar both has it's own reminders and sends a daily schedule email to my business email. For contacts there are different categories they can be listed/displayed under. For instance you could have business contacts as the primary display under custom view and personal contacts under "Friends". I have 7 different categories contacts can be assigned to including my Zoho CRM. All the contacts can be backed up through various methods including the AT&T phonebook, Lookout Anti-Virus, to your sim card, to all of your email accounts and I'm sure there are others.

From a business users prospective using the right apps the S3 does everything you could possibly want a business phone to do. In my case I use ScanBizCards which imports contact info from a business card directly to my Zoho CRM (also scans the card as a picture and has a web sync feature to edit the info and export it but not to Zoho, that can only be done from the phone app). ScanBizCard also imports directly to Salesforce & Sugar CRM's. I use RingCentral's virtual PBX and efax so that's accessible on the phone from their mobile app. Quickoffice Pro for pdf, Excel, Word & Powerpoint manipulation. CamScanner to scan documents which imports to Dropbox so they're synced to all your devices and available from any browser. Carbonite's mobile app accesses everything on my PC's hardrives. My S3 is literally a mobile office and it doesn't interfere with any personal use because the personal use is different apps. Hope that helps.

KennethD

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
This thread was what I was looking for. I've found some good ideas here to keep work separate from personal. I was wondering if anyone has more suggestions? I know on ios you can toggle on and off your email accounts. Has anyone found a way to do this with android through apps or maybe with tasker?

Thank you.