Muting and Vibrate Settings NOT WORKING

bambam7777

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My boyfriend and I both have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and are having the same problem. When we put the phone on vibrate and mute it switches back to sound within a minute or two. Does anyone have a fix for this?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How are you doing that? Are you using the volume keys on the side to set it to vibrate only, or are you enabling a sound profile, or using a 3rd party app?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

bambam7777

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm simply grabbing the volume (sounds) setting from the top of the screen menu that you pull down. I change it to to mute or vibrate and leave it alone. Not touching the phone. Then in a minute or two it goes back to sound. I've even tried adjusting the volume manually by pressing down the top button on the left side of the phone. Nothing seems to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the side buttons AND from the drop down menu on the top of the screen. No 3rd party apps at all.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't know what to tell you - I just tested both of those scenarios and they both worked as expected:
1. Used the volume down rocker on the side to put the phone in vibrate mode
- watched the screen for 3 minutes (amazing, Smart Stay actually worked like it's supposed to!) and the phone stayed in vibrate mode
- stopped watching the screen and let it time out by itself, waited 3 minutes, pressed the power button on the side to wake it up, and it was still in vibrate mode
2. Repeated the above, except this time using the volume rocker to put the phone in silent mode - same results.

I'm running 4.1.1/Verizon in case that makes any difference.

It sounds to me like you both either have 4.1.2, or you've both installed some app that's causing this behavior. I'd suggest that one of you perform a Factory Reset and see if it corrects the problem - if it does, then the other person needs to do the same.
Without playing 20 questions to see if we can narrow down what app or settings might be causing this, the Factory Reset is the most straightforward way to get to the bottom of it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

SexiLexi08

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar problem and I'm pretty sure it's one of the 3rd party apps that I use causing the issue so I haven't really thought much about it. I think it's probably handcent, as I notice that when I put it on vibrate but receive a text, the phone reverts back to the normal sound profile instead of vibrate, but only sometimes.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Be aware that a factory reset will erase all your apps and data. Make sure your data is backed up, or synced with Google, before starting.

And, when you restart after the reset, and enter your Google account info, the phone may ask if you want to reinstall all your apps. Be sure to answer "no," or you'll be right back where you started. It might be easier to just delete your third party apps, and see if that resolves the issue. If so, re-install 1 or 2 at a time until the problem re-occurs. That should narrow down what's causing the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara