1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Getting poor reception with Galaxy S3

Just got the phone two days ago and, while I like it, I'm not impressed with the phone quality or reception. I've read several reviews that they get poor reception, calls dropped, etc. Anyone else have these types of problems and, if so, any solution? I do boost the sound when talking and, while it helps a bit, it does little for improving reception. Thank you.

Default Re: Getting poor reception with Galaxy S3

What carrier are you on? Samsung devices have had a history of not having good CDMA radios, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue with the S3. Do you have another phone you can compare in the same location?

If you're consistently getting poor reception in locations where other phones don't have a problem, I think I'd take it back and ask to try another one.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02-20-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

Sorry, but your experience echoes mine. I went from an HTC to this Samsung and noticed almost immediately that the signal reception was worse. Some folks I know have Droid Razrs and they get MUCH better reception that I do with my SGS3.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What carrier are you on?
    Verizon.

As to my previous phone, the reception wasn't much better. Most of the problems are when I'm inside, not outside. Haven't had enough time to test Bluetooth when I'm in my car.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by WAWood8 View Post
    Some folks I know have Droid Razrs and they get MUCH better reception that I do with my SGS3.
    Well, the primary reason I got it is to use as a phone!

I have to admit, the device is making me rethink whether or not I really need a tablet (I have a google nexus 7). But it's of little use if I don't have a decent phone.

Did you keep your Galaxy 3 or get a different phone. I have about 10 days if I decide to return it. But, what do I get?

Not sure what to tell you - I am also on Verizon, but haven't really had any issues with reception. Admittedly, I generally only have 2 or 3 bars when indoors, but haven't had a problem with dropped calls or poor call quality.

I'd probably suggest the Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Motorola has had a good reputation for their radios, and with that whopping battery you're sure to get a full day use.

I'm not impressed with Verizon's selection of HTC phones at the moment, which is too bad since I never had any troubles with my Thunderbolt. If the new One ever makes it to Verizon it might be worth looking at, but that won't do you any good.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Not sure what to tell you - I am also on Verizon, but haven't really had any issues with reception. Admittedly, I generally only have 2 or 3 bars when indoors, but haven't had a problem with dropped calls or poor call quality.
    My daughter, who has an iPhone, tells me she has a reception problem too inside. So maybe it's the location. I was talking on the phone outside yesterday and reception was fine until I walked in the house; then the call dropped. I have a little over a week that I can return it; so I'm going to really test it inside and out, and on bluetooth in my car.

Iphone and s3 are both having this problem with sprint. S3 is worse with call drops. It is a phone issue. Through experience and reading forums that is obvious. My brother's Htc Evo and my Motorola Photon on sprint work in the same areas with perfect clarity and 0 dropped calls. I wanted an s4 upgrade when contract is up soon but I will be sticking with Motorola. Doesn't matter the carrier, they always come through. Samsung has been dropping the ball alot lately. With tv's too but that's for another forum. I have completely lost faith in samsung products with terrible experience in multiple phones and tvs. If you don't own either, google for yourself and you will see.

I don't get dropped calls on att GS3. I had H+ no bars and was able to web surf quickly and make a call before it dropped down to 3g same no bars.

. Its mainly the location since I live in the Texas hill country, a dropped call is expected here. My iPhone 4s was bad about service (I didn't move the phone and it said searching for service) gs3 no problem
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2
    old phones- Blackberry curve-> iphone 3gs->iphone 4s->galaxy S3->galaxy S4

I'm not sure there IS an answer in weak areas not since everybody went to internal antennas. I'm in the country west of DFW. Since moving to smartphones we've had the HTC Pure, BB Torch, Motorola Atrix2 and Samsung S3. All on AT&T. The BB was best--never lost all bars inside. The Pure was worst. Between the S3 and the Atrix2 there's not much difference--both will bounce from a couple of bars to no signal going through the house and oddly usually NOT at the same time. My old StarTAC would have blown away these modern things. Plays havoc with battery life. We use a reseller so can't get a microcell (requires MyATT for setup). Only solution is to put up a yagi antenna on a tower and use a repeater(s). Silly expense for something the carrier and manufacturers should be handling themselves. Sorry--rant mode off :-)

I have GS3 and I have noticed poor reception for calls ( more dropped calls ) and much slower internet. I live in the Pittsburgh area and have Sprint, but do not get 4G LTE service like so many. If I didn't know any better I would say that cell towers in my area have had the signal strength turned down. My battery life is reduced greatly because the phone is searching for a signal more and I get dropped call where I never did in the past. I was told by Sprint ( but do not know if it is true ) that my GS3 will be slower than my old Samsung Epic 4G phone because the GS3 relies more on LTE. Sprint told customers back when my old Epic 4G was released that you must pay an extra $10 for the 4G phones. I never received 4G service at my house but was told I would. I am not happy that I am paying for another new cell service ( 4G LTE ) that I do not receive yet again. What new technology for cell phones will we pay for next, that we do not get? I am sorry this is so long and jumps around a bit, but I am frustrated with the money that I am paying for poor service. Maybe it is Sprint but I think it may be all cell phone companies, but I could be wrong. I have had Sprint for many years now because of the unlimited internet but I am beginning to think what good is unlimited slow internet !!!!

Just to be clear, Sprint charges the $10 fee for all smartphones now, whether they have 4G or not. When they introduced the Evo they said it was for WiMax, but before too long they changed that. Smartphone buyers use a lot more data than feature phone users, and Sprint is charging for that. No, I don't really like it either, but Sprint is still a better deal for me than any other carrier. At least that $10 gets you unlimited data
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Hello,
    Yes, I agree. I bought the Galaxy S3 phone on Sunday 5/26/2013 and just returned it today. I was too impressed with the cosmetics and the picture quality, but when making phone calls, it wouldn't connect in certain areas, that I normally never had any problems with my previous droid phone. People were leaving messages on my home phone stating that they could not get a hold of me b/c the calls were going straight to voicemail. I couldn't even make any calls from my home with the Galaxy S3, which I was able to do with my droid. Hope this helps. I bought the i phone today, and now have reception in my house and the areas that I couldn't get service with the Galaxy S3, that says a lot about the phone

Last week we got two S3 and out of the box we began to have problems with poor call reception/ dropped calls in our home where for the last 6 years we could talk anywhere in the house with mere basic phones. After new SIM and plenty of time on the phone with Verizon (who were prompt and friendly) and Samsung wiping this and rebooting that, we took the phones back. Really hate doing so because we like all the features of the Samsung, but sadly it became just a fancy peace of technology failing to do what it was supposed to do - be a reliable phone. We refused to pay the 35.00/phone restocking fee, Verizon accepted.

So now we have two Motorola Droid mini and we are back to business, but do miss the S3.

As you found out, Motorola just has a better product where reception is concerned.
    One alternative if you live in an area with marginal coverage (at least as far as Samsung phones go) is to get a network extender - they have them for voice-only or voice + data. I don't know what the cost is but IIRC it was a reasonable one-time cost.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4