Email/inbox count = "-1"??

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I searched around and couldn't find anyone having posted this anyplace...

For the past couple of days, when I have either opened or deleted all my new email, instead of thinking I have 0 new messages to open, the phone thinks I have -1 new emails. I am not sure how this happened or how to get it to reset itself. There was one night when I did a bunch of deletes, and the messages seemed to need to come back and have to be deleted again, so maybe there was one I deleted twice? It's very peculiar. It isn't causing any harm, but it's beginning to annoy me because I know it's not possible to have a negative number of new messages... I turn off the phone every night and it's remained -1 over the past couple of mornings with a fresh start.

Stock/unrooted phone on AT&T...

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to reset the Email app.

Settings (gear icon) -> Application Manager -> (Sidescroll to ALL) -> (DownScroll to Email) -> Select Email -> Clear Cache and then Clear Data

You may wish to try clearing Cache first, exiting out and seeing if that solves it before clearing data.

You will probably have to set your email/options again but that resolved all email related issues for me.

Note: I don't use the Gmail app, I just use Email for my gmail. So you may have to clear your Gmail app data in the manner described above too.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's too late for you now but next time you can search for "unread" mail in gmail and it will help you find the dreaded unread mail. I use to do the clear data thing too until I read about this trick.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Really? I was in the stock email app and it was saying I had -1 new messages... are you saying I should have searched for unread mail in gmail and it would have fixed my stock app saying I had -1 new messages? Sorry... not sure what you are recommending... the problem wasn't an unread message I couldn't find, it was that it said I had a negative number of unread messages...

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of minus 1 mail. Anyways when you have a number, you can usually go into Gmail labels and it will tell you which label that the number belongs to.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Serge tkint

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here:
I have 6 inboxes and the "-1" was not on the GMail but on one of my own domain.
There were no more message to read.
Deleted all msg's in inbox, resync and etc... nothing helped.

Only thing to do was to delete that account and recreate it.
:-\

shawn88882003

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Email/inbox count = "-1"??

WHAT WORK FOR ME WAS DOWNLOWN APP sms counter. The 1 went away from my messaging. I uninstall all is well! NOTE 2!

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT WORKK FOR ME WAS DOWNLOWN APP sms counter. The 1 went away from my messaging. I uninstall all is well! NOTE 2!