Voice Navigation doesn't work when Blue Tooth is on

fishingdude

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread- I'm here because I have a similar issue. The facts are:
-2013 Tundra with Bluetooth (no nav).
-GS3 phone (JB 4.1.2), paired with Tundra, which shows as "Car Multi-Media".
-Trouble with Google NAV audio (blue arrow) with certain truck audio inputs as listed below.
-When phone is connected to truck via bluetooth, and selecting the AUX audio input (phone), music plays, NAV audio DOES INTERRUPT music (just what I want).
-When phone is connected to truck via bluetooth, and selecting other inputs (XM, radio, CD, etc), NAV DOES NOT interrupt audio, and also does not play through phone speaker.
-If I turn off bluetooth, I get nav audio through phone (duh), but now it competes with truck audio.
I did uncheck the "media audio" as listed above, and still have the scenario listed above.
Any ideas on how to get GS3 NAV audio to interrupt all truck audio inputs (XM, radio, CD, AUX, etc) using bluetooth?
Thanks in advance.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Send me your truck for a couple of weeks (I'll provide my own S3) and I'll either get it working or return the truck with no charge ;)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

nivlacasura

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem . I drive a 2013 mazda 3 . I use google maps nav. I only hear the directions when the car is in BT mode. When I switch to am/fm radio station i don't hear. But I swear it use to interrupt the station before to play the directions . Idk what happened.
I even downloaded mapquest navigation app and it does the same thing.
I've try deleting paring , clicking media and call audio and it don't work.
Please what's the solution lol

hfsonpda

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 Ford Focus with Sync and a Samsung Galaxy S3. When Google Maps is turned on and a route is started, it speaks in the house and stops immediately on entering the car. It gives no voice turn-by-turn navigation...does not speak a word, until I exit the car. Then it starts talking. I have read other comments. I do not see any gear to the right of SYNC on the phone. I am totally frustrated.
Also, my voice recognition works good, but my husbands Galaxy S3's voice recognition does not work at all for making phone calls with SYNC, He is totally frustrated.
Can you help us?

tulips920

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
If you are still having this problem please follow the instructions that beesee posted. I had the same problem for the longest time and no one in Verizon was able to help me. I happened to find this forum and I did what beesee said and it's all good now.

criminal_chris

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am having similar issues to the ones described but I want my google maps voice nav to interrupt the radio. Does anybody know how to get this to work on a ford my touch sync system. I have followed people advice on the forum and I can get the andriod to have voice nav through the phones speakers.. but I don't want that.

Please help.

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am having similar issues to the ones described but I want my google maps voice nav to interrupt the radio. Does anybody know how to get this to work on a ford my touch sync system. I have followed people advice on the forum and I can get the andriod to have voice nav through the phones speakers.. but I don't want that.
Please help.

Try the trial period of SoundAbout on Google Play to see if it works for you. Results can vary for different phones/cars as stream media through a Bluetooth phone device is not "normal".

Instructions:

- Open SoundAbout
2 - Click on "Text-To-Speech behavior..."
3 - Set "Audio output..." to what you want. (example: Bluetooth (mono))
4 - Google Navigation will request ALL of the directions at the beginning of the trip. This won't work as we need to switch the audio dynamically when the direction is needed.
To help this, I set "Max utterance per request ..." to 1 or 2.
5 - If using Bluetooth mono, you may need to set "Delay utterance (secs)" to 1.5 or 2. This will allow time for the audio to switch to Bluetooth mono, which is slow to switch over. If you don't, you may miss some of the directions.
6 - Click on the "Android TTS settings..."
7 - You will see some TTS engine choices. Choose "SoundAbout TTS".
8 - Click on "Listen to example" to see if audio comes out of the desired output.

Comp625

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth is kind of b0rk3d to begin with in Jelly Bean. :(

Although this thread is from the T-Mobile S3 forum, multiple users there have other carriers. There is a wide variety of Bluetooth problems -- some folks have issues with media streaming while others have calling issues. I don't know if sharing this thread will help your case specifically, but fyi anyways.

Danitegue

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
BT mono; SoundAbout; Mono Bluetooth; AudioRouter; SuperMono BT; I've already proved all these programs but THEY DOESN'T WORK WITH FORD SYNC. When I send any audio by mono channel of bluetooth (not a2dp streaming) the car screen shows like an incoming call, but no sound is heard through car speakers.

Is sync blocking audio?
Any specific app for sending interrupting audio to sync?
Please only responses related to FORD SYNC system.

redwolfdm1

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. Bluetooth paired with phone and turn by turn works when Im not near the Bluetooth but when Im in the car where I need it - the voice does not work with the GPS. Frustrating.

xristosalonika

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I tried beesee's suggestion and managed to listen to vocal directions through car's speakers using bluetooth.Thing is that now my BT unit indicates that is always on a phone call and no music comes through radio. So to sum up, it all comes to what I want to hear. Music or gps.Can't find a thing to work like my iPhone did.Which was, cutting off radio for gps instructions and then resume.Anyone else had better luck? I'm using a galaxy s5 and my BT is a parrot mki 9100. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

gbohner

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I have same bluetooth problem with 2014 Chevy Malibu and Droid Turbo. I just disabled Media in Bluetooth setup and will see if that helps.

Paul Timothy Mason

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I have discovered that if the bluetooth is turned on in by Motorola Razor Max, The navigation audio no longer works and the navigation audio does not connect to bluetooth. Is this normal? Is there a fix? Is this only normal for this phone? And, finally are there other android phones available that do not have this issue?

Dixie Burge

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, i.e., when my Samsung S3 was paired via Bluetooth to my Ford Escape's Sync I could no longer hear Google Maps Navigation voice directions from either the car speakers or the phone speaker.

If I turned the phone's Bluetooth OFF I was then able to hear the voice directions through my phone's speaker.

By trial and error I finally fixed the problem. I went to my phone's Settings > Bluetooth and found SYNC as a Paired Device. I tapped on the gear icon to the right of the word SYNC and noticed both the Call audio and Media audio Profiles were checked.

I unchecked Media audio and now I can still make calls and play my iPod through voice commands using Sync Bluetooth AND I can also hear Navigation voice directions through my phone speakers.

With this method I cannot stream audio from my phone to my car's speakers but I never did that anyway.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, beesee! Someone finally came up with the solution to my problem! I was able to get the voice directions in Google Maps on my phone only when I wasn't in my car, which made no sense to me. Since going into my phone and turning off "media audio" under my Hyundai's pairing settings I am now able to get voice directions on my phone in Google Maps. Now I'm one happy chick!

Tammie Smith

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, i.e., when my Samsung S3 was paired via Bluetooth to my Ford Escape's Sync I could no longer hear Google Maps Navigation voice directions from either the car speakers or the phone speaker.

If I turned the phone's Bluetooth OFF I was then able to hear the voice directions through my phone's speaker.

By trial and error I finally fixed the problem. I went to my phone's Settings > Bluetooth and found SYNC as a Paired Device. I tapped on the gear icon to the right of the word SYNC and noticed both the Call audio and Media audio Profiles were checked.

I unchecked Media audio and now I can still make calls and play my iPod through voice commands using Sync Bluetooth AND I can also hear Navigation voice directions through my phone speakers.

With this method I cannot stream audio from my phone to my car's speakers but I never did that anyway.

Tammie Smith

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! thank you!....I have a 2015 Ford Edge and I have not been able to hear my Google maps with my Note 4 .. thanks to your directions I can now hear them from the phone!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane