Voice Navigation doesn't work when Blue Tooth is on

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal that voice guidance doesn't work when Bluetooth is enabled? It doesn't on my Galaxy S3 and I have Voice turned on in the settings menu.

It took me days to figure out why I could hear sounds for everything but not Navigation when in the car. I hope there is a fix for this because it seems counter productive not to be able to use your phone via Bluetooth and use Navigation for directions.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
When my GS3 is connected to my cars' BT, i still get voice nav through the phone speaker or the 3.5" jack. I don't get voice nav through BT.

Make sure media volume is turned up while you're navigating. That's a different setting than ring or in-call volume.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
media volume is turned up while you're navigating.

It is turned up as high as it can go. Voice navigation really doesn't work when Bluetooth is on. I will call Samsung the beginning of the week. I'll share whatever I learn.

Robert White1

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal that voice guidance doesn't work when Bluetooth is enabled? It doesn't on my Galaxy S3 and I have Voice turned on in the settings menu.

It took me days to figure out why I could hear sounds for everything but not Navigation when in the car. I hope there is a fix for this because it seems counter productive not to be able to use your phone via Bluetooth and use Navigation for directions.

Be sure your bluetooth device (not the phone) is A2DP protocol capable. Call the supplier or read the manual if it has a spec sheet.
A2DP is REQUIRED in order to have navigation or audio OTHER THAN PHONE CALLS to be heard using the device.
If it's not A2DP compatible, then it's just a "hands free" device, and ONLY PHONE CALLS will have sound piped to it.
Good Luck & Aloha

syncS3

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but let me be more specific.
When I use navigation and my phone is connected to the vehicle through bluetooth there is no instruction from the phone.
If I disconnect the phone from the bluetooth device then the nav instructions come over the speakers of the vehicle.
If I uninstall the phone as a paired device then then nav instructions come from the phone.
Interestingly when I first start the nav app the first instruction comes over the vehicle speakers and then nothing from then on.
Thre is definitely a conflict between the phone and the app. I have tried google maps and Navigator and the act exactly the same suggesting it is the phone.

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I am unsure of what exactly is causing your issue but i can share my experiences .

I have a 2012 VW and i use the bluetooth connection everyday and it works perfectly with Google navigation, music and phone. When my phone and media player are paired i can play music with the navigation on and when a verbal direction is given the music volume is reduced and the direction is said and then the music returns to normal. If I recieve a phone call it switches over to the call and when i hang up it goes right back to the music.

I used to use a cable with my old iPhone and it worked well but since i switched back to Android i have been using bluetooth to connect to my car. When i had my razr maxx i would hear a wierd ticking noise through the speakers when using bluetooth so i started using an aux cable with it to improve the audio quality. Once i purchased the S3 i connected via bluetooth and there was no ticking nose and the audio quality has been excellent so i no longer use the aux cable and i have been very happy ever since.

My wife on the other hand has a 2012 hyundai and the bluetooth connectivity in her car is poor while on a phone call and intolerable when listening to music so she uses my old aux cable in her car this is both with her razr maxx and my s3. The audio quality is slightly better with my s3 but totally unacceptable to listen to on a regular basis. Not to mention the navigation crackles and delays so you have a hell of a time trying to understand the directions. So it seems that the head unit or transceiver in the vehicle makes as much or more of a difference than the phone. At least from my experience.

Unfortunately your head unit may be your issue unless you have used other phones successfully in your car. If you have then their is something defective with your phone. If you have not tried other phones with your car that would be a good place to begin troubleshooting. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
syncS3 - you don't say what model/year Ford product you have, but if you do some reading you'll come across a bunch of issues with bluetooth and vehicles, and some of those problems are solved by getting the firmware in the car updated (and some of them aren't; or there's no firmware update available - bummer).
OP - it should work. I have an older car, so I use the Motorola Roadster 2, which is a bluetooth device that you can use directly (you'll hear any audio through its own speaker) or you can use it to broadcast an FM signal and listen to any audio through the car stereo (tuned to the frequency that the Roadster 2 is broadcasting on). In both cases Google Maps navigation audio comes through the selected target just fine. I've even just used a normal bluetooth earpiece before and the navigation audio came through that. Not sure what to tell you - what carrier/software is your SGSIII on? Perhaps a Factory Reset will clear up this mess.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

syncS3

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The phone Galaxy S3 was recently updated to jelly bean the problem was there with the old op system. The vehicle is a 2010 Ford F150. Phone provider is Wind but I don't think this has anything to do with this issue.
I can say it is obvious the instruction is being routed to Bluetooth but it is not being picked up and therefore no instruction. Even if I could have the phone broadcast the instructions it would be fine but that is not happening. With the phone paired the GPS app automatically tries to broadcast to Bluetooth. I have changed all the audio options but the result is always the same.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ha! The dreaded "it was recently updated to Jelly Bean" story.:banghead:
Actually, since it apparently didn't work correctly when your phone was on ICS, the update obviously doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but just be aware that it's generally a good idea to perform a Factory Reset after a major update like that.
You should contact Ford to see if there's updated firmware for your vehicle's bluetooth setup. I only know what I've seen from other posts about this topic, but you need to make sure the bluetooth profile for the vehicle is set correctly (if you search for the term MAP, you should find some other posts that are about similar issues).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

beesee

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, i.e., when my Samsung S3 was paired via Bluetooth to my Ford Escape's Sync I could no longer hear Google Maps Navigation voice directions from either the car speakers or the phone speaker.

If I turned the phone's Bluetooth OFF I was then able to hear the voice directions through my phone's speaker.

By trial and error I finally fixed the problem. I went to my phone's Settings > Bluetooth and found SYNC as a Paired Device. I tapped on the gear icon to the right of the word SYNC and noticed both the Call audio and Media audio Profiles were checked.

I unchecked Media audio and now I can still make calls and play my iPod through voice commands using Sync Bluetooth AND I can also hear Navigation voice directions through my phone speakers.

With this method I cannot stream audio from my phone to my car's speakers but I never did that anyway.

Carla Vario

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 vw jetta using an LG Optimus9 through t mobile. My Bluetooth works, my audio on a call crackles and the first time I used navigation it said 3 commands through the car speakers since then if I am hooked up to Bluetooth no commands through navigation on either the car speakers or the phone. I since noticed that if hooked up through Bluetooth I no longer get notification sound for email to texts through either car speakers or phone...this stinks.. Anyone have a solution? Is it vw or is it the phone? I am very frustrated!

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, i.e., when my Samsung S3 was paired via Bluetooth to my Ford Escape's Sync I could no longer hear Google Maps Navigation voice directions from either the car speakers or the phone speaker.

If I turned the phone's Bluetooth OFF I was then able to hear the voice directions through my phone's speaker.

By trial and error I finally fixed the problem. I went to my phone's Settings > Bluetooth and found SYNC as a Paired Device. I tapped on the gear icon to the right of the word SYNC and noticed both the Call audio and Media audio Profiles were checked.

I unchecked Media audio and now I can still make calls and play my iPod through voice commands using Sync Bluetooth AND I can also hear Navigation voice directions through my phone speakers.

With this method I cannot stream audio from my phone to my car's speakers but I never did that anyway.

This cured the issue for me in my Volvo S60 and my Note 2. Thanks for leading me thru the maze of settings and their affects to cure my issue.

Gary V

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It's easy...just download the MonoBluetooth Application....then you can hear your music and Navigation through your earpiece/bluetooth. Happy Days!

TinaBelle

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever find solution?
I have same situation. I got Samsung S4. Pairs fine with Subaru bluetooth for phone calls, but no navigation sound either through car/bluetooth or the phone when bluetooth is on. When I turn the bluetooth off within a couple minutes the navigation voice comes from the phone again.
(My previous phone a Motorola Droid X would work with the phone sounds coming/going through the car/bluetooth and the navigation sound coming out of the phone speakers.)
Verizon said the problem is a "known issue" and connected me to Samsung customer service. Samsung rep told me it was issue with Subaru's bluetooth software. I have not contacted Subaru yet. Someone else told me I could get another navigation app that would be compatible with the bluetooth. I also read somewhere that the settings for the navigation could be set to use bluetooth, but I don't see how to change the settings in my navigation app. I'm using what I think is Google (blue arrow). There are thousands of others to choose from...so would another actually work any better?:p

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
S3 to my boombotix2
grey-front_1024x1024.jpg

while riding my bike and listening to music. Turn by turn etc. works great!

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
In Google Play, search for SoundAbout. It lets you route audio in various ways and also has a setting to route Text-To-Speech audio separate from media audio. You can route Text-To-Speech audio to Bluetooth Mono or A2DP.

senorcat

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

This cured the issue for me as well on my Toyota Sienna 2012 Van. In my Van I found "multimedia" as a paired device. Tapped on the gear and noticed both call audio and media audio checked. Unchecked Media Audio and now voice navigation works from the phone. Thank you.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance