1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Signal connection

I just recently purchased a Galaxy S3 after having a Blackberry Storm, the first one and an Htc Thunderbolt. I love everthing about the phone with the exception of a signal issue. Very rarely do I ever get over 2-3 bars, every so often I'll get 4 bars but it doesn't last very long. There are times when i have no signal at all and this has been happening from day 1(I've had the phone for about a month now). I never had this issue with either of my previous phones. Is something that's common with the GS III or is it possible that I have a defective phone? Is there some way to possibly boost my signal reception? Thank you in advance for any help that anyone offers.
    BFBrazier
    Banned

Default Re: Signal connection

Is it on a cdma based carrier? (verizon, sprint) the cdma radios in the s3 aren't very good, and that could explain the bad signal. And there's nothing wrong with the phone, it's just the radios probably

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
    Is it on a cdma based carrier? (verizon, sprint) the cdma radios in the s3 aren't very good, and that could explain the bad signal. And there's nothing wrong with the phone, it's just the radios probably
    I have to disagree with that. Poor CDMA radios have long been an issue with Samsung, but it doesn't seem to be true of the S3. I have mine on Sprint, and the radio is about the same as my prior HTC phone. At work, the signal is very poor, and the Samsung does as well as the Evo did.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I have to disagree with that. Poor CDMA radios have long been an issue with Samsung, but it doesn't seem to be true of the S3. I have mine on Sprint, and the radio is about the same as my prior HTC phone. At work, the signal is very poor, and the Samsung does as well as the Evo did.
    You have a point, but the cdma radios still aren't that good. Granted they have gotten better over time and that can definetly be seen in the s3 they still aren't the best. A lot of people with the cdma based s3 have been complaining about the signal quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
    You have a point, but the cdma radios still aren't that good. Granted they have gotten better over time and that can definetly be seen in the s3 they still aren't the best. A lot of people with the cdma based s3 have been complaining about the signal quality.
    Where do you get "a lot"? I spend quite a bit of time in the Sprint GS3 forum, and while there are lots of people complaining about various things (just as there are in all the other forums), I see almost no one complaining about the radios.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Some of the original batches of S3 did have known reception problems. Thousands were replaced. It seemed that most of the issues were on CDMA networks and typically in fringe, or less than great reception areas. If you pull your battery and read the label on the phone where it says 16GB the replacement stock was indicated with a -B or -BR following the 16GB. I went through 2 phones before getting one that was workable, reception wise. It seems like current stock is not affected at the levels of the early phones.

U.S. Cellular is exchanging S3s starting 10/1!
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Where do you get "a lot"? I spend quite a bit of time in the Sprint GS3 forum, and while there are lots of people complaining about various things (just as there are in all the other forums), I see almost no one complaining about the radios.
    Not on these forums, but in general the problem has been seen in the original batches and people have noticed the problem. I'm on a lot of forums, not just this one. It has shown up a few times on a lot of the others.