s3 Update Errors and System Modified

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
New to forum so I hope im posting in the correct area.
Ill try and explain my issue and hopefully someone can help me out.

I bought a new unlocked Galaxy S3. Wanted to have it update to JB but everytime I go to update it says, error while updating.
I tried through the phone and also connected phone to pc.
Everytime I try through the phone, "About Device", I get an error message.
I have tried numerous things I read on the internet from removing the battery to turning off some google app.
ALso did a factory reset on it.
I have friends and family with galaxys with the same service provider and they got the update months back.
My phone just refuse to not get an error.
Any ideas on what to do?????

Also, under about device it says "Modified".
After reading does this have anything to do with why it will not update? What does modified mean? Nothing has been done to the phone expect doing a factory reset.

Please help me update to JB and fix the update issue.
I'd rather not bring the phone to the store I bought it at it is just a small mall kiosk type store and far from me.

Thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'll assume your phone isn't rooted, since you didn't mention it.

If you have an SD card installed, remove it and reboot, and see if "modified" goes away. No, I don't know why this should make a difference, but it has worked for some people.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When you say that you bought a "new unlocked S3" what exactly do you mean - that it's been unlocked so that you can use it on a different carrier than it was intended for OR that the bootloader is unlocked (thus making it easier to root; flash a different recovery; etc)?
It sounds to me like your phone is already rooted - can you post a screenshot of your About page?
As you can see from mineuploadfromtaptalk1362720136033.jpgI have a different ROM loaded, and something like that (or even if your phone is just rooted with an alternate recovery loaded) would prevent you from loading the current update.
What carrier are you with?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I will try removing the card and rebooting it.

By saying I bought it unlocked(sorry if incorrect term) I mean yes, bought it outright not under any contract through a provider so I can use it with any provider.
The phone is on Orange..
I have no idea really what rooted is, I do know as far as I know, no one has made any change to the phone what so ever.

I will figure out how to post a screen shot of the about page and post it.
Thanks much for any help.

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
This is the info from the about page, sorry couldnt figure how to do screen shot and upload it here.
Also as far as the one comment yes the phone has a sd card in it, so I will remove it and try rebooting.

show status of battery, network and other.

Legal Information:
Model Number:
GT-I9300
Android Version:
BaseBand Version:
i9300xxlg8
Kernel Version:
3.0.15-928452-user
se.infra@sep-107#1
SMP PREEMPT Thurs Jul 26 12:06:08 KST

Build Number:
IMM76D.I9300XXBLG8.MGRP

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't honestly think this will help, but it's worth a try. Shut the phone off and pull the battery for about 5 minutes, then boot up and see what happens. Other than that, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the i9300 (unlocked, international) version of the phone. You might try posting in the forum specific to that model: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-siii-i9300/

Oh, and you might find this post helpful, in general, with getting to know your new phone and it's capabilities: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-you-wanted-know-about-your-galaxy-s3.html

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't honestly think this will help, but it's worth a try. Shut the phone off and pull the battery for about 5 minutes, then boot up and see what happens. Other than that, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the i9300 (unlocked, international) version of the phone. You might try posting in the forum specific to that model: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-siii-i9300/

Oh, and you might find this post helpful, in general, with getting to know your new phone and it's capabilities: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-you-wanted-know-about-your-galaxy-s3.html

Thanks for the link.

I did try removing the battery and such but no luck.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In your original post you noted that in the "About Device" screen it shows "Modified", but when you listed the information from the About page above you made no reference to that. What page is it showing "Modified" on, and what other information is shown there that might be useful?
You may want to give this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&token=ZqSx6dWt a try - once installed, it'll perform a check for root (modified) access when you run it. If it comes back showing that your phone is rooted, that would explain why it can't complete the upgrade.
If none of this pans out you could do one of a few things:
1. Take it back to your carrier and let them figure it out
2. Use Odin to restore the latest stock Jelly Bean ROM to your device
3. Use the Kies software on your desktop computer to initiate the update and see what happens.
Without more information I don't know what else to suggest.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GSDer, sorry didnt post the rest of the info, do you want me to post what is under the status section in about, this is where it says Modified.
Modified is showing on the about device screen under the expandable option for status (this area also has phone number, ip address, etc in it.

Ill give the link a try as you have suggested and let you know how I make out.
The carrier doensnt want to be helpfully as the phone wasnt bought through them. I dont mind fullowing instructions or doing what is needed to correct it myself.

Thanks again

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, you don't need to post that screen - there's private stuff there. I'm just wondering what the name of the field is that has "Modified" next to it.

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
GSDer, I didnt download the app like you suggested yet, because I have been going back and forth with trying to get Samsung support(nightmare keep getting transfered, finaly got through but they were closed, want to see what they say before I did anything more). Going to try today to see what they tell me. At this rate im on m own.

Ill run the app after I talk to them In the meantime I read this following thread here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/225977-device-status-modified.html
and my Current binary says custom and amount of times is 2 times.
Only thing I ever did was reset to factory.

So with the rate I have gotten support from samsung im going to assume im on my own with this. Now I read way to much so super confused myself here, so dont know what to do next.

Thanks for the help

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It sure sounds like that phone was rooted somewhere along the line. I don't know any other way the binary count would be set to two. If you truly haven't tried to root it, I think it's time to go back to that kiosk and tell them they sold you a used phone, and you want a brand new one.

Unless, maybe, you want to root it anyway.

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
we are going to go to the store today. I dont think the phone was used the box was sealed.
I know I didnt try rooting it as I dont know enough about it.

If the store doesnt help, then I suppose we will root it. In that case ill be here asking how.
Only concern, whats the odds it can brick the phone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm with meyerweb on this one - that phone has been modified, even if it's not rooted at the moment. It's certainly possible to flash a ROM but not root the phone. For all I know, your carrier takes the stock International phone and puts their custom build on it. Whatever the case, you should demand a brand new unmodified phone from these guys - there's no telling what has been done previously, and if you were to send it to Samsung for warranty repair they would very likely reject it as having violated the warranty terms.

We can get into all the specifics about rooting once you solve this issue with your provider - I'd much rather have you start with a known good setup, even if you decide to root at some future point.

PS. It is possible to return it completely to stock, and reset the counters, etc, but that should be a last resort.

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help.
We took it into the store and they handled it. Not really sure what they did as I dont understand the language where I am, but something about the way they set it up when we got it for international.
I have no idea at all. I do know and can say it was new and we never did anything to it.
Took them maybe 10 minutes to do whatever they did, phone updates, status is back to normal. They said any other problems just bring it back in.
Is there anything else I should check? Everything seems to be good with it.

jandcny

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I do kinda want to know for learning sake what the issue was and what they did. I know they hooked it to their computer, erased the whole thing and thats about it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like they used Odin (a software tool on the computer) to reflash the stock ROM and clear up the mess that was left behind. That was what I listed as the "last resort".

You should check the About page, and also put it in Download mode (Power + Home + Volume Down with the phone completely off) and recheck the information shown there.

Whew! Glad you got that straightened out.