1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default Stock messaging app issues: default to combined inbox, sluggishness issues

I have 4 email accounts: A, B, C and D. Let's say I receive an email sent to address C and I tap to open it. Now the next time I open the messaging app, it will take me to the inbox for account C. Is there a way to force the app to return to the combined inbox?

Also, I've noticed that the stock app is a bit sluggish to load, sync and delete emails (when I launch the app itself, not open an email.) Is this normal? Perhaps my expectation is a bit skewed since my other device is a BlackBerry, so I'd appreciate some perspective here. FWIW, my sync schedules are set to push x3, and every 5 minutes for the fourth account.

Thanks.

Default Re: Stock messaging app issues: default to combined inbox, sluggishness issues

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I have 4 email accounts: A, B, C and D. Let's say I receive an email sent to address C and I tap to open it. Now the next time I open the messaging app, it will take me to the inbox for account C. Is there a way to force the app to return to the combined inbox?

Also, I've noticed that the stock app is a bit sluggish to load, sync and delete emails (when I launch the app itself, not open an email.) Is this normal? Perhaps my expectation is a bit skewed since my other device is a BlackBerry, so I'd appreciate some perspective here. FWIW, my sync schedules are set to push x3, and every 5 minutes for the fourth account.

Thanks.
    Not sure about the stock messaging app, as I have been using Aquamail Pro for a while as my messaging app. I really like Aquamail, as it does exactly what you are looking for. It will combine all of your e-mail accounts into a "Smart Inbox" and you can color code each email account. And it is highly configurable with lots of other options, and it has two really good widgets.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Re: Stock messaging app issues: default to combined inbox, sluggishness issues

Thanks.
    Okay, I have the same issue because I found the stock app is the only one that handles push Exchange mail well, but got annoyed that it didn't always go to combined view. I did some playing and found some possible solutions.

1. Create a shortcut to your e-mail account, which then lets you default the shortcut to any of your accounts or to the combined view.

2. I use Nova Launcher, and since the e-mail count icon doesn't show up on the shortcut (not that I need it, but I like how it looks), I needed to find a different option. Instead of using the shortcut, I set up a swipe action on the regular e-mail icon, which is an option in Nova Launcher (by holding down on the icon and then pressing EDIT on the option dialogue). I pointed the swipe action to shortcuts, and then to Email Account, just like creating a regular shortcut, so that I could default it to combined view.

So now, using option 2, I can either tap the icon and hope I get combined view or pull up slightly on the icon and definitely get combined view.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    5,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by jwiesneski View Post
    Okay, I have the same issue because I found the stock app is the only one that handles push Exchange mail well, but got annoyed that it didn't always go to combined view. I did some playing and found some possible solutions.

1. Create a shortcut to your e-mail account, which then lets you default the shortcut to any of your accounts or to the combined view.
    Can you expand on this, please? How do I create this shortcut?

Unread messages counter isn't very useful for me anyways. It's not a 100% accurate.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Can you expand on this, please? How do I create this shortcut?

Unread messages counter isn't very useful for me anyways. It's not a 100% accurate.
    Press and hold on your screen to bring up the prompt, like you would to add a Widget. There should be an option in the list to create a shortcut too.

Select "Shortcuts" and then scroll down on the next list to "Email account". Select that and then choose "combined view", and it should make an e-mail icon on your screen.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

I don't see the option for creating shortcuts, just apps &widgets, wallpaper, and pages. Is adding a shortcut a Nova feature?

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Maaaaybe.... it's been so long since I haven't used a launcher that I can't remember if it's part of it or not, but I think it's normally built into Android. What version of Android are you running? I'm on Jelly Bean.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    5,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by jwiesneski View Post
    Maaaaybe.... it's been so long since I haven't used a launcher that I can't remember if it's part of it or not, but I think it's normally built into Android. What version of Android are you running? I'm on Jelly Bean.
    4.1.1 here.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Hmm, yeah, I dropped back to the stock launcher for 4.2.2 and couldn't do it either, so shortcuts must be a function of launchers like Nova, Apex, ADW, LauncherPro, etc...

Plenty of launchers to choose from, and if you just want to have the shortcut functionality, you wouldn't even need to get the paid versions.

Unfortunately, Email is not among the shortcuts on the Choose Shortcut menu within Nova Launcher (note: I do not have Nova Launcher Prime). However, when I drill into the Activities option on the shortcut menu, I can scroll down to Email heading, which has 15 sub activities I can point to. for instance setup wizard, settings, welcome screen. None of them prompt me to choose the box (or combined box) to be opened. The welcome screen activity opens the inbox just like the stock shortcut, landing in whichever box was opened last. Any thoughts? BTW, if it's any help, the options on Choose Shortcut are (not sure what these all have in common and why Email isn't included):
    Activities; AllShare Cast; Book; Contact;Direct Dial; Direct Message; Directions & Navigation; Gmail label; Music playlist; My call sound; S Bookmark; Settings shortcut,Visual Voicemail.