Google Wallet alternative

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well if my 8 yo brother can root and jailbreak easy I can't fathom how an grown adult can that's all i was saying but if u shouldn't do anything halfway and nervous.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well if my 8 yo brother can root and jailbreak easy I can't fathom how an grown adult can that's all i was saying but if u shouldn't do anything halfway and nervous.

Well... I know plenty of youngsters that can do all sorts of things that I'm not comfortable doing myself. Regardless of how old or young someone is, it is always best to err on the side of caution when you are unfamiliar with something. No shame in it. We can offer encouragement, but ultimately, it is up to an individual to use their own best judgment as to how comfortable they are with doing something (or NOT doing something). :)

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying you rooted the phone and left it stock and side loading Google Wallet? Or did you root it and throw a ROM on there which had Wallet built into the gapps? If all you have to do is root it (and leave it stock) I'd be into that.

Rooted and used a 1 app click install.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well... I know plenty of youngsters that can do all sorts of things that I'm not comfortable doing myself. Regardless of how old or young someone is, it is always best to err on the side of caution when you are unfamiliar with something. No shame in it. We can offer encouragement, but ultimately, it is up to an individual to use their own best judgment as to how comfortable they are with doing something (or NOT doing something). :)

That's very true but it got me thinkin how times is evolving. When I was his age lil kids I knew was eating playdoe haha.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Its funny how the op asked a question about Google wallet alternatives and the thread turns into a root celebration.

Rooted: Tmo GS3: PacMan ROM : 4.2.2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Its funny how the op asked a question about Google wallet alternatives and the thread turns into a root celebration.

That happened because there are no real alternatives (that is, no practical available alternatives).

Furthermore, for those (such as the OP) that are using non-Nexus and/or carrier-branded phones (other than Sprint), the only way to get Google Wallet working is to root the device.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but once she said she didn't want to root that should've if been it. Not trying to jump down her throat with the root

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the quality or future of the Isis Wallet app that the carriers are pushing. I just know that it requires a special SIM card (with its own built-in secure element) and Isis is not available in enough places yet to make it a viable option at this point for most people.

Quite frankly, I trust Google more than the carriers. But that's just me. ;)

I'm in Austin and just activated my ISIS a week ago for testing. Setup required some ISIS customer service assistance, Verizon store was pretty clueless but tried to help. I do think that the main issue could have been related to the recent OS update. I had to completely reload the app and somewhat start all over from when I first bought the phone in November. After the service was set back up, it had some updating of its own to do too. I'm fairly tech minded and don't give up on things very easily but I really had to make an effort to get this thing going. They will have to work out some of the kinks before the mainstream consumer will adopt it fully. So the process hasn't been seamless but the results so far have been pretty cool. The service works fantastic at the vending machines at my work, McD?s down the street and basically anyplace that has an NFC reader. It doesn?t have to be just ISIS branded. I received my companion card in the mail that works everywhere else that doesn?t have NFC readers and I can use that at ATMs also. I only reload it with an amount I think I?ll need and loading from another card is easy and instant. I will summarize by saying in my case, getting starting had some hiccups but the ability to use my phone this way is very convenient and futuristic. I look forward to it becoming more mainstream but until then I will continue to impress my friends by paying by phone.

CHRISTEVAN

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got ISIS working on my VZW Note 2. I don't live in Austin, TX but really wanted to try it out here in So Cal. I talk to VZW customer service and asked for an NFC SIM card because I will be visiting family in TX soon. I wanted to be ready to have ISIS when I went out there. Customer service was cool about it and FedEx'd me the SIM with 2 day shipping. The card is free. After I got it, I activated the SIM and put it inside of my phone. No problems there. I then tried to activate ISIS but after 5 attempts it didn't work. I called customer support and they told me to reset the phone (basically turn it off then back on again). After that, activation went through without a hitch. I have been able to use it at a vending machine and McDonalds. I got 25 dollars free which was nice. I can't wait for my trip to Texas with ISIS all ready to go. ISIS will work anywhere there is that PayPass logo so you technically don't have to be in Austin or SLC.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly tech minded and don't give up on things very easily but I really had to make an effort to get this thing going.

I'm not very tech minded, especially when it comes to SmartPhones. So this is something I'm going to leave alone and, quite frankly, can live without. My credit card company sent me something to stick on the back of my phone so I can make charges but I'm not sure I'm going to play with that either.

Thanks everyone for your input.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well my isis has been the biggest pain in the **** it quit takeing my password, and I forgot the back up question (I dont write stuff down thats involves passwords) called the customer service off my phone (att) they didnt understand how to reset the code. Might stop by a store. (Do yall think that they will check my flash count? Last time I wasnt able to use triangle away (stock rom)

So I cant use it. how is Google wallet? I know you have to root it but is it worth it. I have been rooted then going back to normal for some reason. Thanks

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well my isis has been the biggest pain in the **** it quit takeing my password, and I forgot the back up question (I dont write stuff down thats involves passwords) called the customer service off my phone (att) they didnt understand how to reset the code. Might stop by a store. (Do yall think that they will check my flash count? Last time I wasnt able to use triangle away (stock rom)

So I cant use it. how is Google wallet? I know you have to root it but is it worth it. I have been rooted then going back to normal for some reason. Thanks

I can't speak to how well it works on other devices, but Google Wallet works great on my Nexus. No issues.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Changing the subject a little bit, but where does one actually use Google wallet? Not that I've paid close attention, but I haven't noticed any local retailers indicating they support it. Those of you who do use it, where do you use it? Any national chains that support it?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Changing the subject a little bit, but where does one actually use Google wallet? Not that I've paid close attention, but I haven't noticed any local retailers indicating they support it. Those of you who do use it, where do you use it? Any national chains that support it?

I believe CVS takes it, well at least in Maryland. McDonald's does & i think i seen the nfc thing at a Sunaco Gas Station

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

"Merchants who accept Google Wallet include: American Eagle Outfitters, Bloomingdales, Foot Locker, Jamba Juice, Macy's, RadioShack, Subway, The Container Store, Toys "R" Us, and Walgreens. In addition, Google Wallet works at other participating MasterCard PayPass merchants including 7-Eleven, BP, CVS Pharmacy, Dairy Queen, McDonald's, Office Max, Petco, Sports Authority, Sunoco, The Home Depot, Tim Hortons and other retailers.
NJ Transit also participates with Paypass and Google Wallet."

Google Wallet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo