s 3 won't download pdf or mp3 files since updating???

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
battery pull, reboot if your still having trouble you might want to make sure that your not set to "download over wifi only" for attachments.

try toggling airplane mode on / off also

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You didn't mention how you were normally downloading these files. Is it via an app, or a Web browser? Are you able to successfully download other file types using the same method?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I download from a browser. Attachments from email & mp3s from the converter flvto.com specifically.
Which browser are you using?
You access your email via the browser rather than an app?
These downloads appear to start normally?
- the Status/Notification bar shows the little download arrows progressing?
- What happens if you drag down at the Notification bar - do you see the actual size downloaded increasing?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Same problem... this is a file extension association problem!

In my case, I can connect the problem to the installation of Audible player (called them, no help)

After the installation of Audible, using "download app" to open an mp3 file resulted in "can't open file"

Finding any mp3 file using any "filemanager" app and selecting open, results in "open as" and when "audio" is selected, Audible launches but doesn't play the file.

When Audible was then uninstalled, the same action results in "Activity Not Found"

WORKAROUND

In my case, here's a far less than perfect solution.

UNINSTALLED AUDIBLE
UNINSTALLED POWERAMP
RE-INSTALLED POWERAMP (assume that any mp3 compatile audio player will work)

It's still not possible to launch MP# files from the "Download" app, but opening any MP3 file using a file manager now launches mp3 files using poweramp.

TIP, if your filemanager allows it, create a desktop shortcut to the downloads directory, trash the default downloads icon and use the shortcut instead to get to downloaded files.

Hope that this information is of value.
Beverly Howard

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ES FileExplorer has the ability to associate a file extension with a specific app.

Anyone who wants the steps, please ask...

I wrote out the exact steps, but this forum elected to discard the entire message and gave no recovery options.

Beverly Howard

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Michele,
What app are you using to download music?
What app are you using to watch videos?
Is your mobile data connection working normally? What about your Wi-Fi connection?
Are you getting some kind of error message when you try to do these things? Did anything happen around the time these problems started (phone received an update; you installed new apps; etc)?

Walter Griffin

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Im having very similar issues but when I download any files from any mp3 downloader app, it somehow sends it to the HTML viewer???? I can download videos from the web no problem. But any music app (and ive tried several different ones.) Just downloads the mp3 as a txt. File or something.?

Walter Griffin

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Is there a specific reason for this? And how is the "advanced download manager" going to alter where my downloads are sent? Obviously other people are having issues but no one mentioned the files being read as a text./text or worded document. The songs show up in the player yet say the file cannot be played. It only downloads about 7kb of the file which clearly means its not a mp3 file.(further more...the "advanced download manager" did nothing to change this problem.im pretty good with figuring modern tech out and this has got to be something internal or something to do with the servers in which all these apps are feeding from.?????

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
There are two different issues at play here...

The first is what chrome, gmail, etc do with files they cannot open directly... examples being that they generally know how to handle a few types such as pdf files, but don't know how to handle others such as gpx files used in mapping programs.

These "unknown" file types are simply downloaded to the "download" directory, and the second issue is selecting and setting the app that will open them when you access the file in the download directory. Android has some major gaps when it is confronted by many "standard" filename extensions.

When "Advanced Download Manager" is running and a file is downloaded, it intercepts the download and handles these issues without user input based on the filename extension and configuration by the user. Not perfect, and it takes some experimenting to learn the interface, but it works.

...for example, downloading an mp3 files to a specific directory then setting a default audio app when the download is finished by tapping the file in ADM's "finished" column.

You can set different download directories for each file type at the beginning of each download and set that directory as the default destination

Then, when you select the "finished" tab and tap the download, you can choose which app to open the file (as usual, "once or always")

Like everything tech, it ain't perfect but it's much better than the default handling of many file types.

As for your "partial download" query, insufficient data cap'tn Could it be that the free version has a size limit?

Hope that this clarifies, at least a bit.
Beverly Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma