Do iPhone users have battery life issues? If not, why not?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There is no way I am switching to an iPhone but there is one in my household. I couldn't stop it from entering the family. Anyway, the user of that phone never seems to have any issues with battery life and he uses it all day, not for calls though. See question in subject line. :)

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There is no way I am switching to an iPhone but there is one in my household. I couldn't stop it from entering the family. Anyway, the user of that phone never seems to have any issues with battery life and he uses it all day, not for calls though. See question in subject line. :)

Of course they have battery issues. Google battery life issues after 6.0.2 and more recently 6.1.3 is having issues. There isn't anything special about a iphone battery

Hear no Napoleon, Hear No Snowball. Just hear yelling, over the old ravens whispers

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Of course they have battery issues. Google battery life issues after 6.0.2 and more recently 6.1.3 is having issues. There isn't anything special about a iphone battery

Hear no Napoleon, Hear No Snowball. Just hear yelling, over the old ravens whispers

You're right they do have battery issues that appear after some firmware updates, but the iPhone battery seems to last longer overall compared to the low battery life to any android phone.

Shanghaichica1

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Not really but that is because their phones don't do as much as android devices and therefore the battery isn't taxed as much. On android devices apps are always running in the background and widgets are updating themselves etc, you don't have this on the iPhone so the battery life is better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not really but that is because their phones don't do as much as android devices and therefore the battery isn't taxed as much. On android devices apps are always running in the background and widgets are updating themselves etc, you don't have this on the iPhone so the battery life is better.
Other issues are that the iPhone typically has a smaller screen so that consumes less battery and there is no OEM skin. And prior to the iPhone 5, no iPhone was a 4G LTE device.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Battery life issues? Two and soon to be three of my sisters use the iPhone 4S running the latest software, and they haven't been complaining about battery life at all. From what I have observed, the battery life on their iPhones is better than the battery life on my Nexus 4.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Battery life issues? Two and soon to be three of my sisters use the iPhone 4S running the latest software, and they haven't been complaining about battery life at all. From what I have observed, the battery life on their iPhones is better than the battery life on my Nexus 4.
What is the difference in screen size and battery size?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like the screen and LTE are probably the culprits in battery consumption differences. The iPhone in my house is a 4S... no LTE. Much smaller screen than my GS3.

Thanks for the discussion!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
In addition to that, Android and iOS handle multitasking completely differently. You can see an example of this by opening up a browser, typing a URL, then immediately (before the page loads) pressing the home button to go back to the home screen. Wait 10 or 20 seconds then go back to the browser.

On Android, the page will have loaded in the background, while on iOS the page will have stopped loading when you went back to the home screen, and will now continue once you go back to the browser.

So it's a bit of a trade off...Android actually has 'true' multitasking while iOS only does for some things (like you can play music and do other things, but as you can see above, it doesn't work for everything).

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the screen and LTE are probably the culprits in battery consumption differences. The iPhone in my house is a 4S... no LTE. Much smaller screen than my GS3.

That's a huge part of it... But they do have problems if you use them heavily.
A coworker early adopter kept his iPhone in the charger on his desk at work all the time because he ran out of battery by the end of the day without it.... LTE sucks the life out of any phone except the RAZR Maxx...

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

Other issues are that the iPhone typically has a smaller screen so that consumes less battery and there is no OEM skin. And prior to the iPhone 5, no iPhone was a 4G LTE device.

In addition to that, Android and iOS handle multitasking completely differently. You can see an example of this by opening up a browser, typing a URL, then immediately (before the page loads) pressing the home button to go back to the home screen. Wait 10 or 20 seconds then go back to the browser.

On Android, the page will have loaded in the background, while on iOS the page will have stopped loading when you went back to the home screen, and will now continue once you go back to the browser.

So it's a bit of a trade off...Android actually has 'true' multitasking while iOS only does for some things (like you can play music and do other things, but as you can see above, it doesn't work for everything).

Smart posts right here! Take notes people!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the discussion!

That's a huge part of it... But they do have problems if you use them heavily.
A coworker early adopter kept his iPhone in the charger on his desk at work all the time because he ran out of battery by the end of the day without it.... LTE sucks the life out of any phone except the RAZR Maxx...

This. Screens and LTE definitely will affect a battery but since it's a iPhone 4S it won't have to worry about the LTE part. As for the person in your house do they heavily use it? If not then their battery will last a long time. If i use my s3 only here and there I can stretch 3 days out of it.. But that's extremely rare because I use my phone alot :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Real life experience...

Last fall, went to a football game with a group of friends. We left home around 9am and didn't get home until after 7pm, so it was an all day affair. Of the 4 of us, the phones were as follows: 1 Samsung GS3 on Verizon (mine), 2 iPhone 5's, 1 iPhone 4S. To best of my knowledge, all 4 of us started the day with a full battery.

None us were using our phones very heavily throughout the day, as we were preoccupied with our own tailgate and the football game, but we all were texting here and there, checking fantasy scores and stuff like that. I remember that I was checking my score a lot because I badly needed a win to make the playoffs in my fantasy football league, so I was watching scores closely.

Long story short, by the end of the day after the game had ended and we were getting ready to drive back home, all 3 of my friends had either dead batteries or <10% remaining. 2 friends had to borrow my phone to call their wives...and were shocked to see that I still had around 50% battery remaining. I even pulled NFL Mobile app on the drive home so we could see the end of the late NFL games.

It was pretty awesome as this group of guys I was hanging out are all very much pro-iPhone and would joke with me about owning Android...but they weren't laughing when they had to borrow my phone because theirs was dead after a being away from a charger most of the day!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Were they on Verizon, too? If not, different signal strength between their carriers and yours could make a huge difference. I'm no Apple fan (far from it), but I think it's true that, in general iPhones get better battery life than our phones do, under the same conditions. Some of the reasons have been discussed in this thread. I also think that because Apple has much tighter control on both the hardware and software than Google / Samsung do, their hardware and software is better integrated, and better able to optimize use of the hardware.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually many of my friends with Iphone 5s complain about battery life to me. They claim that it is horrible and barely lasts throughout the day. Granted these are heavy users. I also have a note 2 so when my battery is still remaining and their iphone dies, it may just be because of the note 2's awesome battery life.

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Not scientific by any means, but I do see my friends with iPhones always scrambling for a charger, whereas those with android phones, not so much. Other than me that is :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol