HELP! My Galaxy S3 boots up but only have black screen
06-23-2016 01:12 PM
- seems my screen isnt working...like i turn on the phone and i dont get a boot animation or anything just a black screen..nothing ever shows up..also the touch screen was working when i first restarted the phone because i heard the phone unlock with the water drop sound on the lock screen...but since i restored the phone in odin (with the black screen) even when i boot into recovery and download mode its still a black screen
i have never dropped my phone nor has it ever been water damaged
so i have no idea why this happened...i was using the camera app and the screen just went black on me
so anyone got an idea whats wrong or how to fix it??
here is a video of what happens
03-31-2013 09:44 PM
- I recently broke the screen on my s3. Instead of paying the money to have it replaced I did it myself with the kit from ebay. During the removal of the old screen I nicked the menu button and after replacing screen it refused to work properly. While trying to find a soft key app for my rooted phone which would take over the menu function I edit a script following a MOD instruction. I rebooted and was stuck on boot just after the samsung screen. All my phone would to was give little vibrations every 10 seconds or so.
I was able to boot to recovery, however stock recovery would not fix the boot image.
I have heard of similar problems with booting and thought I would post my fix.
I downloaded a clockworkmod v6 .img file.
I downloaded Odin v3.
I downloaded the S3 usb drivers from samsung website.
I already had a back up made with a previous version of clockwork but I know you can find the stock version of your S3 for download if that is the course you need to take.
NOTE: Odin will not flash .img files. I edited a .tar file with the name clockworkmod.tar and inserted the .img file i downloaded for the S3 into the .tar using Ubuntu on my laptop. If you do not have Ubuntu i know you can find the .tar of clockwork but i just got tired of searching for it. The .img file has to be named recovery.img inside the .tar in order for odin to flash it. I found that out the hard way getting multiple errors.
Using windows XP on another computer (Odin wouldn't flash using VirtualBox inside ubuntu) I first installed the usb drivers for the S3.
Then I started Odin. At the right hand side of the screen you will see PDA. Click that and browse until you find you clockworkmod.tar file and open it.
Uncheck the box at the left of the screen that says Auto REBOOT. if your phone doesn't boot properly (like mine did not) then when Odin reboots your phone you will lose the recovery that you just flashed to the phone. Leave f.reset checked.
Put you phone in download mode by holding down the volume down, power and home keys. When the warning prompt comes up then press volume up to continue. Your phone will will go into download mode.
Connect your phone to the computer and wait for all the windows nonsense about device drivers loading and so on to happen. You should then see that, in Odin, the little rectangle box in the upper right, just underneath the big square box, will turn either blue or yellow depending on your Odin version. Inside the comment box it will also say ADDED! If the box doesn't turn a colour then you need to check that the usb drivers installed properly and repeat the above steps.
Hit Start. It should only take about 10 seconds and then in the comment box it should say RESET OK.
Unplug your phone from computer and remove the battery... Replace the battery. DONT LET IT TRY TO BOOT YET! Mine tried to boot and I had to pull the battery out real fast twice before it finally just black screened.
Enter recovery by holding the volume up, power and home keys together.
You should now see clockworkmod as your recovery agent. If you get the stock recovery prompt or you don't get a recovery prompt at all have no fear. I had to do the steps three times before I got it down perfectly and was able to boot into clocworkmod.
Use clockworkmod to format your sd card. (obviously back up any data that you want to keep off it first) volume keys navigate up and down and the power key is the execute button. Navigate to mount/storage and select. Format is at the bottom of the next screen. There are many tutorials on how to navigate clocworkmod.
Pull out the battery after you have formatted. Pull out the sd card and pop it ino your computer. Place the backup that you have downloaded or had stored on the sd card.
Again, I had multiple backups already but you can find stock .img files out there.
Replace the sd card and boot back into recovery mode. Again, if you miss recovery mode and your phone starts to boot then you will most likely have to start over in Odin to re flash clockworkmod.
In recovery mode scroll down to restore from ext sd card. If the backup file is good you should then see it. Click on the file... Click on Yes. Hopefully in about 3 minutes it will finish and say SUCCESS!
Reboot. If your backup was good you should be all set.
I really hope this helps you.04-21-2013 11:45 PM
- 04-27-2013 08:21 PM
- I have the same problem! I wanted to connect my phone to my laptop so I could save all the important stuff from my phone, but the problem is I have a password on my phone and im unable to unlock it due to my black screen! Is there a way I can connect my phone to my laptop without going through the password?? please help!07-04-2013 10:15 AMLike 1
If you boot the phone in Recovery mode or Download mode is the screen still black, or do you see the normal screens shown?
Have you done anything to the phone (rooted; loaded a different ROM; etc.)?
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 407-04-2013 11:57 AM
- I just had the same thing happen and sent it to Samsung... any word on what the fix was? They told me it will take 5-10 business days to get it back... unfortunately I am going to Europe next Sunday so if I don't get it back by Friday I'm gonna have to use the HTC One loaner until I get back...
I was also using the camera app when the screen turned fuzzy with green and then went black... I'm such a dummy too.. after all these years I still didn't realize that my contacts weren't backed up... ****ty deal... and it's otherwise so easy to do with google... anyhow I hope they fix it fast!07-08-2013 03:07 PM
- So with my Galaxy S2, it was dropped in a sink of water, fully submerged. I immidiately turned it off and took the battery & sim out. I dried out the phone using the oldskool method of placing it in a bowl of rice then wrapped it in a towel and placed on the radiator at low heat for a day. I then went to boot the phone back up and it worked fine for about a day, then as I went to use the camera function, the phone spassed out, and went fuzzy green/red colours before it went to a black screen. I had problems previously with snapchat using the main camera to record a video, then the phone shutting itself down.
After several reboots the phone wouldnt work, but fully functioned, I could answer calls made to the phone, I could swipe to answer/unlock but the screen remained black.
After a bit of research I have come to the conclusion it is a hardware failure, apparently you'll need a new screen assembly07-15-2013 09:30 AM
- I have the exact same problem. Never dropped it. Never been in water. BUT the screen will not stay on...can't see to answer or text. Then it is after either taking battery out and waiting a few minutes EVERYTIME I want to use it....or by pushing the power button several times...it might come on.
Has anyone else experienced the Black Screen? If so what did Samsung do about it.....like they told me operator error..HA.! I have had several people tell me the same problem and I believe it is a defect but Android doesn't want to fulfill the warranty obligation. What to do??
Go back to IPHONE?07-30-2013 04:13 PM
What happens when you take the battery out? Does the phone boot normally after that (ie. you can see the screen)?
When does the screen go black - only after using it for awhile? At random?
Have you already tried a Factory Reset?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta07-30-2013 08:22 PM
I haven't done it myself but there's supposed to be a way that you can go to the Samsung website and unlock your phone.
Then you could use the Kies software on your PC to backup your information (contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, etc.) without having to see the screen on the phone.
Edit: you can try http://findmymobile.samsung.com - looks like you'll have to setup an account first.
Edit 2: Looks like only certain models are supported, and from what I can see you have to have enabled your Samsung account on the phone first, as well as enabling Remote Controls.
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 208-12-2013 02:33 PM
- First thing to try is a battery pull - leave it out for a few minutes before putting it back in and trying to power on.
Next - does it sound like it's making the normal boot up sounds?
Third - if you think it might be on, have someone call it to see if it rings.
Depending on your answers it may be that the connection between the screen and motherboard just came loose.
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 208-24-2013 04:37 AM
- I rooted and flashed CM 10.1 on my S3 4.1.2. I was looking and it said that the process failed for gapps, keyboard failed, and set up failed. When I pull the battery and try to restart in download mode or CWM it flashes like it will go into recovery but goes to a black screen and then stays black and does nothing. Please help!?08-29-2013 06:53 PM
- If you can't get into Download mode (Volume Down + Home + Power) then you're SOL. I've seen some guy that advertises JTAG service - that's about the only way out that I can think of. You could try purchasing a JIG on Amazon - they're only a couple of bucks and you've got nothing to lose at this point.
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 208-29-2013 09:11 PM
- Sorry to jump in here but I bricked my VZW Note 2 trying to return it to stock. I have the black screen of death. I get the Samsung logo but nothing after that. My back and menu buttons light up but do nothing. I can get into download mode but my phone is still showing clockwork mod info and I can't send it back to Samsung for repairs because of this. I was running CM 10.1 prior to trying to return to stock. I bought the phone rooted and stupidly did not do a backup as I assumed the phone was backed up when I bought it. Any help fixing my phone will be greatly appreciated!!!09-09-2013 04:32 PM
- Golfdriver97Ambassador Team LeaderSorry to jump in here but I bricked my VZW Note 2 trying to return it to stock. I have the black screen of death. I get the Samsung logo but nothing after that. My back and menu buttons light up but do nothing. I can get into download mode but my phone is still showing clockwork mod info and I can't send it back to Samsung for repairs because of this. I was running CM 10.1 prior to trying to return to stock. I bought the phone rooted and stupidly did not do a backup as I assumed the phone was backed up when I bought it. Any help fixing my phone will be greatly appreciated!!!
From an Illusion S309-09-2013 05:09 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
HELP! My Galaxy S3 boots up but only have black screen
- By ggBatterySaver in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 13Last Post: 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
- By DijahP in forum Sprint Galaxy S IIIReplies: 0Last Post: 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
- By Popcorn5 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 4Last Post: 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM
- By datboyjfresh86 in forum Sprint Galaxy S IIIReplies: 6Last Post: 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
- By gojira35 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 0Last Post: 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD