EMERGENCY!!

anon(5850889)

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I was using my S3 in the bath tub ( I know, I was being stupid) and it slipped out of my hands and some water got splashed on to it (the phone was not completely submerged). Being my stupid self, I dried it off and continued playing with it, as nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The speakers worked and the phone turned on as normal.

About 1 hour later, I tried to call a friend. For some reason, my friend couldn't hear me. I could hear him though. After this incident, I took out my battery and SIM card and put the phone into a bowl of rice, as I heard that dried out the water. About 4 hours later, I took the phone out of the rice and tried to call someone again, but alas I had the same results as before, and they couldn't hear me. How long should I keep it in the rice, and is there anything else I can do? Such as factory resetting?

Thanks a bunch!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Probably not too much more you can do outside of what you have tried " placing in rice ". I doubt a factory reset will resolve anything, sounds like you have a hardware issue related to the water involving your mic.

Cross your fingers that the water indicators inside the phone didn't trigger and you can get it fixed under warranty (if you have one).

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Well for the rice thing, 4 hours is not that long, a lot of people leave devices in for a week or two

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe your supposed to leave it for two weeks in the rice

If I were u, if your phone isn't rooted, just take it to your carrier and see what they say

Sent from my SPH-L710 running Liquid Smooth RC2 4.2.2 stable

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
24-48 hrs. minimum...as Paul627g stated, check and see that the water indicators inside the phone didn't trigger.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The experts recommend you NOT use a blow dryer directly onto the open back which can blow water droplets back into places you don't want them. Instead try using a vacuum cleaner to suck the water TO you. You can actually see water film come out and get picked up. Do that for at least 10-20 minutes. It then took me three nights in rice (in air-tight container) before all the water streaks disappeared from under the screen. That was with me using the phone during the day so don't give up if the first rice treatment doesn't get it all. BUT I turned the phone off and removed the battery and cards as soon as I recovered it (from the clothes washer--I?m told the look on my face when I discovered it wasn't in my pocket was priceless--luckily the agitation hadn't started)--not turning it off may be a killer.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
And don't attempt to remove or bleach them back to white.. Good repair tech knows when something has been tampered with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12