Why is my phone stuck at Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selcect recovery mode in Kies & try again?

Malkum Brown

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
phone stuck at "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selcect recovery mode in Kies & try ag

soo i wanted to install a flash player on my fone. I had no idea what i was doing to begin with so i youtubed what to do and i eventually ended up downloading odin and samsung kies to try and i guess "root" my fone. Long story short, my fone is stuck on this screen with yellow cone and fone on one side cpu screen on other side and it says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selcect recovery mode in Kies & try again".. at this point i could care less about the flash player i just want to get my fone back to normal. I went to the samsung kies and selected recovery mode like the fone says but once again like i said i have NO IDEA what im doing!! lol.. If someone could PLEASE help, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: phone stuck at "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selcect recovery mode in Kies & tr

You really need to give us a little to go on. Tell us what you did. At least give us a link to the YouTube video, and tell us how far you got before it stopped working. If you downloaded anything other than odin and kies give us links to what you downloaded. And tell us what carrier your phone is on.

Sigh. I wish people would ask for help BEFORE they start modifying their phones, instead of after. It's not necessary to root to install Flash.

Malkum Brown

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: phone stuck at "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selcect recovery mode in Kies & tr

Galaxy S3 - Latest Jellybean 4.2.1 Update (Leak) - How to Flash/Install (Stock & Rooted) - YouTube

^^^^^ link to the video i used to download.
odin and samsung kies are the only programs i used
i got to abt 4:45 and mine did not pass. i think i realized i downloaded kies but it wasnt installed.. by that time my fone had come to the point where it was stuck on this screen.
i installed the kies restarted cpu. tried again.. didnt work. now im at this point

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

What carrier is your phone on? That video says it's for the i9300 only. That's the international version of the phone, sold in Europe and Asia. Is that what you own?

Malkum Brown

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

no my carrier is tmobile. like i sd i had NO idea what i was doing.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I would check this forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/

If you can still get into recovery and download mode, then this process might work, but I'd still ask folks over there before trying it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...82617-how-root-galaxy-t-mobile-galaxy-s3.html

I suspect, though, that you're going to need to flash a known good t-mobile ROM, and since I don't have a t-mobile phone I'm not sure where you would find that. The good news is that your phone isn't bricked. You will be able to recover it.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

no my carrier is tmobile. like i sd i had NO idea what i was doing.

Tmobile has two versions of the gs3 (well three now) but the device you have is most like the sghT999. What you might want to do is download the stock rom and reflash it. Using odin. Go to this site

http://theunlockr.com/2013/01/26/how-to-unroot-the-samsung-galaxy-s3-lte-i9305/

and follow the instructions word for word. Once you reflash it just OTA update it

Rooted: Tmo GS3: PacMan ROM : 4.2.2

Last edited:

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Man... people shouldn't mess with their phones on this level unless they know what they are doing. You don't need to do anything special to install Flash... you literally just download flash and click it to install.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Man... people shouldn't mess with their phones on this level unless they know what they are doing. You don't need to do anything special to install Flash... you literally just download flash and click it to install.

Beginner's mistake

Hear no Napoleon, Hear No Snowball. Just hear yelling, over the old ravens whispers

sambarnett78

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem as the person that started this thread. I was attempting to root my phone and got "FAIL" in Odin during the process and when I rebooted by phone I got the same message: "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Sprint.

I used this video link: How to: Root Samsung Galaxy S3- Jellybean 4.1.2 - YouTube

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Most important: Does your phone still work?

If you phone does still work, toss that video and follow this process. Read all the steps, then read them again. Then read the entire thread. Then read the first post a third time, and download all the necessary files. Then follow the instructions, step by step, carefully. The S3 is very easy to root, if you do it correctly

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...e-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html

OK, I hope there was something before that video, since that video doesn't seem to do anything but install SuperSU. Was there a part I video somewhere? If not, I'm not surprised it doesn't work, as that video doesn't seem as if it will actually root your phone. If there was a part I, please provide a link to it. Most importantly, though, what files did you download and try to flash?

If the phone doesn't work, what are the symptoms? Can you still boot into recovery or download mode?

The fool who created that video should be banned from every posting another one, as he is clueless. He may know how to root his phone, but he sure doesn't know how to explain it.

bluboy513

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

so.... I'm having a similar problem. Obviously I'm a "noob" but I was trying to root my vz galaxy 3 using odin. I downloaded the root file from this video How to Root Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535! | Galaxy S3 Root. my phone alternates between the samsung kies warning listed above but i can still get into the download screen using the wolume down, home and power key. But for whatever reason, the phone won't root. I've used different ports on my laptop it keeps sticking at system.img.ext4 it moves slowly but gets to the same part every time. right above the "d" in ID:COM. my reason for rooting in the first place was to put the multi view on here.

missy12334

May 23, 2013
Visit site

hi...can u plz help me as well..i was just uploading a pic on facebook on my s3 when the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue"sign appeared.please tell me how i can fix it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

so.... I'm having a similar problem. Obviously I'm a "noob" but I was trying to root my vz galaxy 3 using odin. I downloaded the root file from this video How to Root Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535! | Galaxy S3 Root. my phone alternates between the samsung kies warning listed above but i can still get into the download screen using the wolume down, home and power key. But for whatever reason, the phone won't root. I've used different ports on my laptop it keeps sticking at system.img.ext4 it moves slowly but gets to the same part every time. right above the "d" in ID:COM. my reason for rooting in the first place was to put the multi view on here.

I would suggest trying method 3 in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

hi...can u plz help me as well..i was just uploading a pic on facebook on my s3 when the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue"sign appeared.please tell me how i can fix it.

Did you accept an OTA (over the air) firmware upgrade from you carrier? This error shouldn't appear at any time other than during a firmware upgrade. What happens if you try to reboot your phone? What S3 version / carrier do you have?

Alysen Baddeley

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I also tried to "root" my phone and now I'm stuck on the "firmware upgrade encountered and issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again" screen. How do I get this off and just get by phone back to normal. I have a tracphone, samsung galaxy s3. I looked at several different videos so I have no clue on which one I actually used. I've only downloaded Kies and Odin. I reached the point with odin and it failed. Since then, I haven't been able to get off this screen. Help?! Thanks!

leejacky

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Help please!
I tried to get the 4.2.2 on my GS3 last night. But running Odin failed. Now it is stuck on the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"

I cannot get out of this screen. Restarting phone does not work, it just comes right back to the same screen. Does not see Samsung or anything, soon as I shut it off, it comes right back even if I don't press any keys. When I plug the phone into computer, it is not being recognized in Kies, or as a device in the computer. I want to try the advice above of downloading stockrom and reflash it, but can't do anything when I can't get out of that screen. Model is SGHT999V

Please help
P

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Help please!
I tried to get the 4.2.2 on my GS3 last night. But running Odin failed. Now it is stuck on the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"

I cannot get out of this screen. Restarting phone does not work, it just comes right back to the same screen. Does not see Samsung or anything, soon as I shut it off, it comes right back even if I don't press any keys. When I plug the phone into computer, it is not being recognized in Kies, or as a device in the computer. I want to try the advice above of downloading stockrom and reflash it, but can't do anything when I can't get out of that screen. Model is SGHT999V

Please help
P

Try flashing 4.2.1 again BUT go to your task manage and close anything related to kies.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Help please!

Please help
P

What was the rom you downloaded? Can you provide a link?

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3