Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Exclamation EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Excessive is in all caps for a good reason. I rarely use Google+ and just got a bunch of warnings from AT&T saying I was approaching my data limit. I was shocked. Initially I thought it was my wife because she uses her phone quite a bit during the day. But nope, it showed almost 3/4 of the data use under my number.

So I did a little investigating and went into the phone data use settings after getting the warning notification and sure enough, Google+ was listed there at the top. It says "Foreground 11.90MB, Background 2.20GB"! How does that even happen? I've been trying to resolve this with AT&T tech support but they are clueless. Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Excessive is in all caps for a good reason. I rarely use Google+ and just got a bunch of warnings from AT&T saying I was approaching my data limit. I was shocked. Initially I thought it was my wife because she uses her phone quite a bit during the day. But nope, it showed almost 3/4 of the data use under my number.

So I did a little investigating and went into the phone data use settings after getting the warning notification and sure enough, Google+ was listed there at the top. It says "Foreground 11.90MB, Background 2.20GB"! How does that even happen? I've been trying to resolve this with AT&T tech support but they are clueless. Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks for the help!
    I never had that problem because I disabled Google + a long time ago. But im sure you have instant upload running. So google + is probably uploading all your pictures to its servers

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Default Re: EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Shut off Instant Upload and uncheck the photo sync settings. Log out out of g+ and if that doesn't fix it then get an app that limits the data usage by an app. G+ doesn't use that much data normally.

Do you by any chance have it set to automatically upload photos? In G+ settings, make sure Instant Upload isn't checked. And, in settings / Accounts / your email, make sure Sync Google Photos is unchecked.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Thanks for all the replies. I actually do NOT have instant upload enabled. Disabled that as soon as I downloaded the app. I'm usually pretty versed with what to do in this scenario. I'm just shocked this happened with Google+. When I called AT&T they said they had numerous calls in the past week for just this very issue. Background data with Google+ is now disabled unless connected to wifi. But an app should never pull 2.20GB worth of data in the background when I essentially have nothing turned on. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I actually do NOT have instant upload enabled. Disabled that as soon as I downloaded the app. I'm usually pretty versed with what to do in this scenario. I'm just shocked this happened with Google+. When I called AT&T they said they had numerous calls in the past week for just this very issue. Background data with Google+ is now disabled unless connected to wifi. But an app should never pull 2.20GB worth of data in the background when I essentially have nothing turned on. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    No, you're correct in assuming that. As long as it truly wasn't uploading your photos and videos, it sounds like a significant issue with normal Google+ syncing.