1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Exclamation EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Excessive is in all caps for a good reason. I rarely use Google+ and just got a bunch of warnings from AT&T saying I was approaching my data limit. I was shocked. Initially I thought it was my wife because she uses her phone quite a bit during the day. But nope, it showed almost 3/4 of the data use under my number.

So I did a little investigating and went into the phone data use settings after getting the warning notification and sure enough, Google+ was listed there at the top. It says "Foreground 11.90MB, Background 2.20GB"! How does that even happen? I've been trying to resolve this with AT&T tech support but they are clueless. Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Excessive is in all caps for a good reason. I rarely use Google+ and just got a bunch of warnings from AT&T saying I was approaching my data limit. I was shocked. Initially I thought it was my wife because she uses her phone quite a bit during the day. But nope, it showed almost 3/4 of the data use under my number.

So I did a little investigating and went into the phone data use settings after getting the warning notification and sure enough, Google+ was listed there at the top. It says "Foreground 11.90MB, Background 2.20GB"! How does that even happen? I've been trying to resolve this with AT&T tech support but they are clueless. Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks for the help!
    I never had that problem because I disabled Google + a long time ago. But im sure you have instant upload running. So google + is probably uploading all your pictures to its servers

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Default Re: EXCESSIVE data being pulled from Google+ app?? Anyone else have this problem?

Shut off Instant Upload and uncheck the photo sync settings. Log out out of g+ and if that doesn't fix it then get an app that limits the data usage by an app. G+ doesn't use that much data normally.
    Last edited by galaxyboy; 04-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Do you by any chance have it set to automatically upload photos? In G+ settings, make sure Instant Upload isn't checked. And, in settings / Accounts / your email, make sure Sync Google Photos is unchecked.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for all the replies. I actually do NOT have instant upload enabled. Disabled that as soon as I downloaded the app. I'm usually pretty versed with what to do in this scenario. I'm just shocked this happened with Google+. When I called AT&T they said they had numerous calls in the past week for just this very issue. Background data with Google+ is now disabled unless connected to wifi. But an app should never pull 2.20GB worth of data in the background when I essentially have nothing turned on. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Thanks for all the replies. I actually do NOT have instant upload enabled. Disabled that as soon as I downloaded the app. I'm usually pretty versed with what to do in this scenario. I'm just shocked this happened with Google+. When I called AT&T they said they had numerous calls in the past week for just this very issue. Background data with Google+ is now disabled unless connected to wifi. But an app should never pull 2.20GB worth of data in the background when I essentially have nothing turned on. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    No, you're correct in assuming that. As long as it truly wasn't uploading your photos and videos, it sounds like a significant issue with normal Google+ syncing.