Galaxy S3 Screen Not Working?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Please provide some more information. Does the phone appear to work (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black? Or does the phone not work at all? What model of S3 do you have (a carrier branded version, or the international one)? If it's carrier branded, what carrier?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
All of them are working except the touch screen.. :( the screen also working but everytime i touch the screen nothing will happen..maybe the digitizer is not working?..this is crazy.. :(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
All of them are working except the touch screen.. :( the screen also working but everytime i touch the screen nothing will happen..maybe the digitizer is not working?..this is crazy.. :(

Ah. I thought you were saying the screen was just black. It does sound like it could be the digitizer. If you haven't already, do a battery pull, wait a few minutes, then restart and see what happens. It could be a software glitch. If that doesn't help, I'd try a factory reset. With the phone off, boot into recovery by pressing the power, volume-up and home keys at the same time. Release all three buttons as soon as the Samsung logo appears. (If you release too early or too late, it will boot normally. Try again.) In recovery, you'll see several items, one of which will be factory reset. Use the volume keys to select that option, then press home to select it. The phone will wipe all your data and apps, but you can reinstall the apps from the playstore, and your contacts and calendar info are, hopefully, backed up to Google.

If this doesn't fix it, then I think it's time for a warranty repair or replacement.

lisaleezei

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
it's not just your phone in the last two days my phone'sdoing the exact same thing did you update anything because my phone automatically updated its been doing it ever since at some point it takes over and quakes applications and move them around I even went to put a password unlock because I could not swype the front lock screen when I did this the phone literally typed a password in the box its crazy and we shouldn't have to factory reset I lose all my phone and all my applications and takes forever to download it all so its not your phone and you don't need a warranty Samsung or Google messed it all up.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Lisa, are you asking for help or just blowing off steam?
If the former, have you tried restarting the phone since your problems started?
What kind of update did your phone receive?
Did you install any apps around the time the problems started?

If you prepare ahead of time a Factory Reset won't take an inordinate amount of time to recover from:
- be sure your contacts/calendar are synced with Google
- if you're not using a custom launcher like Nova, take screenshots of your Home screens
- make a backup of things like your Call Log, SMS/MMS, etc (if you care about any of that) - you can try something like:
Call Logs Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore
Carbon: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup
Easy Backup: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mdroidapps.easybackup
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro
SMS Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Lisa, I completely agree that you shouldn't have to factory reset. Unfortunately, that may be the only solution. Is a factory reset worse than not being able to use your phone?

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I would suspect a broken digitizer or touch screen controller, but usually
a failed root or Flash would cause this.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
John,
If a Factory Reset didn't change the behavior then it's time for a warranty replacement - you have a hardware problem.

Lisa,
Have you tried any of the provided suggestions?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine just did the same thing out of nowhere! I'm going to unroot and go back to stock to see if that helps at all but if not what are my options?

You haven't told us what you've already tried. If non of the suggestions in this thread work, and a factory reset doesn't work, and going to the stock ROM doesn't work, then I think you have a hardware failure. If the phone is less than a year old, contact Samsung about a warranty repair (return the phone to stock, unrooted before you send it to them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Stock is the way your phone came from Samsung and your carrier. The ROM contains all the code that makes your phone work before you start adding programs. It contains the operating system (Android), certain basic applications (email, Internet, settings), and sometime a bunch of apps added by the carrier (often called "bloatware" or "crapware" by people who don't want it).

There are phone hobbyists who take this code as it comes on your device, and modify it to remove bloatware, add additional features, change the look, and sometimes run faster. The then package this modified code up into a modified ROM. If you "root" your phone, you can then install ("flash") these modified ROMs to change the way your phone operates in certain ways.

Sometimes the modifications in these ROMs aren't thoroughly tested or debugged, and cause problems with your phone or with other software. When that happens, going back to the "stock" ROM will often resolve them. Since I don't think you've loaded a custom ROM, you're almost certainly running the stock ROM.

On a different note, who's the young lady in your avatar? She is very, very cute! ;)

Maude Nolet

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my phone is doing exactly what you described (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black!! Whats do i need to do?
Thanks for your help

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, my phone is doing exactly what you described (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black!! Whats do i need to do?
Thanks for your help

Maude, have you tried anything suggested in the above posts yet? If not, the first thing I'd do is a battery pull. Leave the battery out for several minutes, reinstall it and power back up. Any change?

If not, I'm afraid this is probably a hardware problem. Take it back to your carrier, or go to Samsung's web side and see what you should do to get warranty service.

anhayes3183

May 27, 2013
Visit site
So if the screen is black how is a factory reset done? I can't do anything with the screen at all but everything else is fine. I've pulled the battery several times and still nothing.