Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 Screen Not Working?

My Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen is not working..PLEASE,i need help,what will be the problem?..
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 04-15-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Title change.

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Screen Not Working?

Please provide some more information. Does the phone appear to work (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black? Or does the phone not work at all? What model of S3 do you have (a carrier branded version, or the international one)? If it's carrier branded, what carrier?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

All of them are working except the touch screen.. the screen also working but everytime i touch the screen nothing will happen..maybe the digitizer is not working?..this is crazy..

Quote Originally Posted by John Kervin Agustin View Post
    All of them are working except the touch screen.. the screen also working but everytime i touch the screen nothing will happen..maybe the digitizer is not working?..this is crazy..
    Ah. I thought you were saying the screen was just black. It does sound like it could be the digitizer. If you haven't already, do a battery pull, wait a few minutes, then restart and see what happens. It could be a software glitch. If that doesn't help, I'd try a factory reset. With the phone off, boot into recovery by pressing the power, volume-up and home keys at the same time. Release all three buttons as soon as the Samsung logo appears. (If you release too early or too late, it will boot normally. Try again.) In recovery, you'll see several items, one of which will be factory reset. Use the volume keys to select that option, then press home to select it. The phone will wipe all your data and apps, but you can reinstall the apps from the playstore, and your contacts and calendar info are, hopefully, backed up to Google.

If this doesn't fix it, then I think it's time for a warranty repair or replacement.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

it's not just your phone in the last two days my phone'sdoing the exact same thing did you update anything because my phone automatically updated its been doing it ever since at some point it takes over and quakes applications and move them around I even went to put a password unlock because I could not swype the front lock screen when I did this the phone literally typed a password in the box its crazy and we shouldn't have to factory reset I lose all my phone and all my applications and takes forever to download it all so its not your phone and you don't need a warranty Samsung or Google messed it all up.

Lisa, are you asking for help or just blowing off steam?
    If the former, have you tried restarting the phone since your problems started?
    What kind of update did your phone receive?
    Did you install any apps around the time the problems started?

If you prepare ahead of time a Factory Reset won't take an inordinate amount of time to recover from:
    - be sure your contacts/calendar are synced with Google
    - if you're not using a custom launcher like Nova, take screenshots of your Home screens
    - make a backup of things like your Call Log, SMS/MMS, etc (if you care about any of that) - you can try something like:
    Call Logs Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id...gBackupRestore
    Carbon: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup
    Easy Backup: http://market.android.com/details?id...pps.easybackup
    MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id...id.MyBackupPro
    SMS Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id...SBackupRestore

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    rxgadget likes this.

Lisa, I completely agree that you shouldn't have to factory reset. Unfortunately, that may be the only solution. Is a factory reset worse than not being able to use your phone?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

i already did the factory reset but still not working..
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

i didnt do anything its just suddenly my S3 became like this..

I would suspect a broken digitizer or touch screen controller, but usually
    a failed root or Flash would cause this.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Or a Dropped phone.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram

John,
    If a Factory Reset didn't change the behavior then it's time for a warranty replacement - you have a hardware problem.

Lisa,
    Have you tried any of the provided suggestions?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for the help guys..

Mine just did the same thing out of nowhere! I'm going to unroot and go back to stock to see if that helps at all but if not what are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by John Galindo View Post
    Mine just did the same thing out of nowhere! I'm going to unroot and go back to stock to see if that helps at all but if not what are my options?
    You haven't told us what you've already tried. If non of the suggestions in this thread work, and a factory reset doesn't work, and going to the stock ROM doesn't work, then I think you have a hardware failure. If the phone is less than a year old, contact Samsung about a warranty repair (return the phone to stock, unrooted before you send it to them.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

What is stock ROM?

Stock is the way your phone came from Samsung and your carrier. The ROM contains all the code that makes your phone work before you start adding programs. It contains the operating system (Android), certain basic applications (email, Internet, settings), and sometime a bunch of apps added by the carrier (often called "bloatware" or "crapware" by people who don't want it).

There are phone hobbyists who take this code as it comes on your device, and modify it to remove bloatware, add additional features, change the look, and sometimes run faster. The then package this modified code up into a modified ROM. If you "root" your phone, you can then install ("flash") these modified ROMs to change the way your phone operates in certain ways.

Sometimes the modifications in these ROMs aren't thoroughly tested or debugged, and cause problems with your phone or with other software. When that happens, going back to the "stock" ROM will often resolve them. Since I don't think you've loaded a custom ROM, you're almost certainly running the stock ROM.

On a different note, who's the young lady in your avatar? She is very, very cute!

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thanks for the info again. ohh,thats my girlfriend..Thanks agen..

Hi, my phone is doing exactly what you described (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black!! Whats do i need to do?
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Maude Nolet View Post
    Hi, my phone is doing exactly what you described (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black!! Whats do i need to do?
    Thanks for your help
    Maude, have you tried anything suggested in the above posts yet? If not, the first thing I'd do is a battery pull. Leave the battery out for several minutes, reinstall it and power back up. Any change?

If not, I'm afraid this is probably a hardware problem. Take it back to your carrier, or go to Samsung's web side and see what you should do to get warranty service.

So if the screen is black how is a factory reset done? I can't do anything with the screen at all but everything else is fine. I've pulled the battery several times and still nothing.

I am having the same issue today. I was able to call my phone from my husband's (screen on my phone remained black), and I swiped where the answer bar would have been. I was able to answer the call and everything worked peachy. There's just a black screen no matter what I do. No root, nothing customized, nothing. :o/

anhayes3183/dsmusicbox,
    If you pull the battery, wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and then power on and don't see anything on the screen, but you hear the normal power up sounds, your hardware is toast - take it back to your local carrier or call their support line for a replacement.
    If you don't have insurance, and the phone is out of the initial exchange period from your purchase place, then you'll have to contact Samsung for warranty repair.
    It is POSSIBLE that you could use something like Kies to try to restore a Factory image, or you could boot the phone blindly in Recovery mode and try to perform a Factory Reset (get someone with a working S3 to walk you through the steps), but frankly you shouldn't have to go to those lengths (unless you rooted your phone, in which case all bets are off).

hi, i dropped my phone today and now the screen is black. everything works just fine. i can get phone calls and text messages, all the buttons light up and the phone still vibrates, i can also unlock my phone the screen is responding to touch. it just wont show anything. can you help me?

hey i have the same problem my screen show i get lights and sound but no touch wat do i neeed to do
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast