Galaxy S3: Incoming calls not ringing through and no notifications of missed calls

Mary R 54

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone was working great but then it started to act up. The following problems are sporadic. First the phone would ring 2 times and would go direct to voice mail. Some calls do not even ring through and there is no notification that a call was missed. Also sometimes when I make a outgoing call it will ring 2 times and then call ends. Ay thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Incoming calls not ringing through and no notifications of missed calls

Most obvious thing, but have you rebooted the phone, and done a battery pull? If not, try that first.

If that doesn't resolve it, are you rooted / running a custom ROM, or have you frozen/disabled any apps? When calls don't ring through at all, do they go to voicemail, or do they not come through at all?

I've had calls go straight to VM occasionally, and think it's just carrier / tower glitch, but if it's happening to you frequently it may be something else.

In the phone app's settings, make sure Call rejection isn't on. In Settings, make sure Blocking mode isn't on..Go into Application manager, scroll right to the All tab, scroll down to the Phone app, and clear cache. If that doesn't do it, try clearing data.

Actually, as I reread your post, this could be a carrier issue. You say it's sporadic, and if it's happening to outgoing calls that doesn't seem likely to be your phone. I'd call you carrier and discuss the problems with them, too,

If all else fails, you can try a factory reset.

Mary R 54

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

I will try this thank you. Cell provider wants to do a factory reset but I want that to be my last option.

duck383

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

this issue has been posted many times (that i have read) and not to sure of a clear answer im running T-mo JB 4.1.1 and it happens about 3 times a week even on wifi at times at first i thought it was a (new) router issue i was having but as i Googled it i found many others with the same issue. A battery pull will cure the issue temporarily but it always seems to come back eventually

duck383

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

this also happens to me, when im on wifi and not on wifi / just stating what i have encountered!

april5878

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem + some w./y Galaxy S4 sporadically-
1) phone rings and when I try to receive the call there is no one there.
2) after this I will try and call out and it looks like a call is going through but I can't hear anything.
3) I restart phone and it will work again fine, exept then sometimes it doesn't ring audibly but I can actually answer it (had this issue on my HTC Thunderbolt too)
4) lastly, the alarm app does not always sound, even when set correctly. this is an app, but I think it may be relevant because it is a sound issue. Obviously i have made sure sound it on, not in airplane mode etc. Overslept today because of it. I travel with the phone for work so now I feel I need a travel alarm, which is another thing to carry.

I am within my 30 days until July 22. Should I try another Droid or an iphone. I am reading about a lot of reception problems with this phone too. I had a job interview and they called me three times and I could not hear them and I could not call back. So embarrassing. I had to reboot and then call. To me, the phone needs to function like a phone first and foremost. Verizon wants to do a factory reset, which is what their script tells them. Advice?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

If they want you to do a Factory Reset you should go ahead and do it just to get it off the checklist. Be sure your contacts, calendar, etc are synced with Google or otherwise backed up. If you care about your Call Logs, SMS, etc you can try:
Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos
Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro
I'd suggest NOT reloading all of your apps from the Google Play Store after the Factory Reset - there's a setting in the Play Store app that automatically does that so be sure to turn it off - that way you can be sure some app isn't causing your problem.
Finally, when you adjust the sound level using the Volume rockers, select the gear icon that shows up and be sure all of the independent volume levels are turned up.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

codee

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

WiFi has nothing to do with phone calls.

That isn't true at all. Most of T-Mobile Android phones have the WiFi calling feature where it makes all calls and text over WiFi and turns off the cellular radios. It also seems helps battery life out greatly. Why are you claiming WiFi has nothing to do with phone calls?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I wasn't aware of that feature of T-Mobile. Aside from that, only t-mobile has that feature, and the OP didn't say he was on t-mobile. Even then, that's not the default method of calling, and only works if you're connected to WiFi. For the typical user, my statement is correct.

Why are you assuming that everyone is on T-Mobile and using the wifi calling feature?

Jenny Egrie

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

I had my second S3 (I have five phones...) for three days until calls stopped coming through or were cut off mid-sentence. Uninstalled Call Guard app and all is okay...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781