Battery getting drain overnight

Firerod

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and I have read that there are a lot of issues with the battery being short life, but I am just wondering if anyone have the problem of getting their battery drained overnight?

I uploaded some of the screenshot, can anyone help?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-39-42[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-39-42[1].png
    154.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-40-00[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-40-00[1].png
    78.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-40-28[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-04-26-07-40-28[1].png
    147.3 KB · Views: 26

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Even if maps were left running, that's extreme drain. I suspect you have a process running out of control. If you haven't rebooted yet, do that, and it will probably go away. If it continues to happen, you should load an app that will let you see in more details exactly what process(es) are using CPU and battery. My favorite tool for this is System Panel.

Firerod

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Would map really be able to drain from 100% down to 15% in like 7 hours?

Just turned off GPS, and downloaded Juice Defender.

What else should I do to make the battery last longer? I need it to survive at least throughout the day....

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree that Maps looks like the cause. Maps tries to update it's location every few seconds (to center yourself), moreso if you use Google Latitude. Possibly also, if it can't get a GPS fix from inside the house, it is trying more often, and/or using cell tower triangulation. Especially if one considers using Maps in a moving vehicle, how the blue dot updates it's position as you move. Well, if Maps is trying to update the location (even if you aren't moving, at home, at night), it still may be "checking" to see if you did move.

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Had same problem recently with maps. Used navigation that day and failed to disable GPS afterwards. After disabling GPS, problem stopped.
Left enabled, GPS is used as primary locator function on your device. If indoors, it fails to lock onto a satellite and continues to search, draining battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Had same problem recently with maps. Used navigation that day and failed to disable GPS afterwards. After disabling GPS, problem stopped.
Left enabled, GPS is used as primary locator function on your device. If indoors, it fails to lock onto a satellite and continues to search, draining battery.

That's only partially true. On Android 4.0 and above, the OS controls the GPS radio. Even if you have it turned on in settings, Android will only turn the radio on if an application requests it. I leave GPS on 100% of the time, and here's my battery usage from yesterday. The real answer is to figure out why an app is continuing to request GPS service. If you use it for navigation, and don't exit that app when done, it can keep the GPS active. Check in services (under settings in the Maps app) will constantly request location data, killing your battery. Some weather apps can do the same thing, if you have them set to update your location continuously.

In any case, since the OP hasn't returned or replied, I suspect he resolved his problem. Probably just be rebooting his phone.

Screenshot_2013-04-29-23-01-47.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo