[HELP] Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 in water.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,

I also dropped my phone on water and not it dosent recognize SIM cards and has the imei null/null and baseband unknown problem. I didnt have a backup of the EFS partition but HX Tolls and EFS Pro lets me do a backup now which lets me to believe it is an hardware problem (corrosion under one of the chips on the mainboard). I ordered a SIM/SD tray replacement but my guess is it wont help.
Does anybody have ideas off what I can do to try and fix issue please?

Thank you.

Cheers

scottsdca

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi, my friend's son dropped his s4 in the toilet. He said he hit the power button and it made a shorting out sound. Apparently he put it in rice for a week or two, sent it in to Samsung and they said they couldn't do anything. I sold him my old s3 and bought an s4. He gave me his old s4 for the extra battery. Would it be safe to use the battery? Also I put the charger on his fried s4 and it vibrated as if booting up. The leds worked also as if turning on. I saw a red and blue one come on. It also vibrated a couple times more but no sounds at all. Then when I pulled the charger out it was like it shut off. Screen completely black the whole time. I tried repeating this with auxiliary chord to see if any startup sound would play that way. Nothing. Just wondering if there is any hope for this and also if its safe to use the battery as a spare. Thanks.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my friend's son dropped his s4 in the toilet. He said he hit the power button and it made a shorting out sound. Apparently he put it in rice for a week or two, sent it in to Samsung and they said they couldn't do anything. I sold him my old s3 and bought an s4. He gave me his old s4 for the extra battery. Would it be safe to use the battery? Also I put the charger on his fried s4 and it vibrated as if booting up. The leds worked also as if turning on. I saw a red and blue one come on. It also vibrated a couple times more but no sounds at all. Then when I pulled the charger out it was like it shut off. Screen completely black the whole time. I tried repeating this with auxiliary chord to see if any startup sound would play that way. Nothing. Just wondering if there is any hope for this and also if its safe to use the battery as a spare. Thanks.

I think you're OK the battery is Watertight.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
to Samsung and they said they couldn't do anything.
Pretty sad day when the manufacturer can't (or won't) repair it. And yet it still has some signs of life.

Oh well - too bad your friend didn't get the S4 Active - a trip into the toilet would be like a dunk in the swimming pool (sorta).

Edit: I think the battery would be OK as well...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Evidently rice resurrects people.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

It would probably cost more to repair a water-ruined phone than to just buy a used phone. Odds are both the mainboard and the display / digitizer need to be replaced. That's got to be at least $400 worth of parts and labor.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It would probably cost more to repair a water-ruined phone than to just buy a used phone. Odds are both the mainboard and the display / digitizer need to be replaced. That's got to be at least $400 worth of parts and labor.

Not always true. I thought my S3 was lost after swimming in the pool (didn't recognize sim cards, imei null and baseband unknown problem), everyone said that I was going to need a new main board but it only took 45 euros to fix.

rmhallman

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: [HELP}Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 in water.

Help! Dropped my S3 in water. Clean toilet water. Do I remove the battery, the little card, and the back and then put it in the rice or do I put the phone back together and then put it in the rice? right now it is the battery in the rice and the phone kind of together, the back isn't securely on, in the rice.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't really matter all that much. I'd put the back on, but not snap it in place, just to keep rice out of the inside.

And the sooner the better!!!

rmhallman

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I put the back on but not securely. I'm hoping this works, I cannot afford the replacement phone (well I can I guess, but paying for the protection plan AND having to drop over another 100.00 for a deductible is outrageous) and I have never EVER done this before. I am without a phone and no phone line and nasty weather, hoping to get to and from places without issues without a phone. :-\

Redx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I put the back on but not securely. I'm hoping this works, I cannot afford the replacement phone and I have never EVER done this before. I am without a phone and no phone line and nasty weather, hoping to get to and from places without issues without a phone. :-\

Just leave the phone off and in rice for 24-48 hrs

rmhallman

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Do I need to put the smart card in there too, or just leave that out? I have it wrapped in a kleenex right now and it hasn't been moved.