Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Aquila
  • 2 Post By cyanogen-man
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By johnith
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default your phone has been modified software updates not available message popup

When i select software update on my phone a message pops up and says your phone has been modified software updates not available how can i fix this issue?.

Global Posts
    11,022 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: your phone has been modified software updates not available message popup

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Garrett View Post
    When i select software update on my phone a message pops up and says your phone has been modified software updates not available how can i fix this issue?.
    If you have custom firmware, you absolutely do not want to fix this issue (assuming "fix" means find a way to accept an OTA update). If you are rooted and/or have an unlocked boot loader with a custom recovery installed, an OTA can be at best dangerous and at worst create a soft-brick situation for you. If neither of those are true, I have no idea what that message is getting at.
    geekymcfly likes this.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Default Re: your phone has been modified software updates not available message popup

Yea if your rooted stay the Hell away unless it's a Rom download that's pre rooted updated version otherwise it's a death sentance

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums
    Aquila and indhirap like this.

So, assuming you're rooted, you have a couple of choices:

1. unroot, accept the OTA, reroot
    2. Look in the carrier specific forum for your device and see if anyone has created a version of the updated ROM that you can flash via recovery
    3. check out the Rootkeeper app in the Play store. This is supposed to allow you to temporarily unroot so you can accept OTAs, and then easily return to rooted status. I've never used it.

What carrier are you on / which version of the S3 do you have?
    Aquila likes this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Garrett View Post
    Hi,

I had the same problem on my un-rooted Galaxy S4. After a few factory resets and no solution, the solution turned out to be simple: turn off the phone, remove the SD card, and turn it on again. Now my firmware is being updated. Neat!

Hi guys
    Need some advice please.
    I'm having the same issue with a galaxy S4.
    I tried to update the software and it comes up with: your device has been modified. Software updates are not available, and there is no SD card in the phone.
    My question is, does this mean the phone has been flashed with a third party software?
    Can I reset the phone to factory settings? Or will the phone be bricked if I do that?
    Thanks in advance

This is the S3 forum, but where did you get the phone? Sounds like you have no idea of its previous history.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    This is the S3 forum, but where did you get the phone? Sounds like you have no idea of its previous history.
    Hi, sorry, by the time i posted, i realised it was the S3 section, and it was too late to delete my post.
    The phone was a present to my friend, but she prefers iPhone, so she asked me to sell it for her, and when i wanted to update it i saw that error.
    So yes, i have no history of this phone, the seller must have modified the software, or maybe unlocked it, i don't know, and i'm not an expert with Android

Quote Originally Posted by m3mpower View Post
    the seller must have modified the software
    It looks like the phone just got corrupted when you tried to do the update - it's all too common.

You'll have to reload the firmware, which you can do using the Kies software or a tool called Odin.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    m3mpower likes this.

Below are the steps I had to do to get the phone back to a condition where OTA updates are again functional:
    1. Un-mounted the inserted SD card.
    2. Restart the device.
    3. Go to Android recovery mode by pressing the Power + Volume down button.
    4. Select the "Wipe cache partition".
    5. Restart the device after successful wipe.
    6. Continue the normal steps for OTA android update.
    After the above steps, I was able to successfully solve the problem and update my device. I re-inserted the SDcard, but did not face the error again.
    m3mpower likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    It looks like the phone just got corrupted when you tried to do the update - it's all too common.

You'll have to reload the firmware, which you can do using the Kies software or a tool called Odin.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Hi
    Thanks for your post.
    I did watch a video on YouTube about unrooting the S4 and they used Odin, so I might do that.
    But one thing I'm worried about, is if the phone was software unlocked.
    If I reload the firmware, will it cancel the unlocking ? ( that's if the phone was unlocked before )

Thanks