how to transfer files from galaxy s3 with broken screen.

faho

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My screen cracked and my digitizer is broken but the phone itself is still working. I have bought a new S3 but want to get my files (pictures, memos/notes, etc) off my old phone. When I connect the phone to Kies it says that the phone is locked. I can't unlock the phone since the screen doesn't work.

Is there any way I can control my phone screen from my computer?

Or is there any other way to get my files off of my old phone without having to use the touchscreen.

Really appreciate your help with this, it's really important to me. :'(

FAHO

faho

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, tried that but my pc recognises the phone but displays no files. When I tried it on Kies it says that my phone is locked so I have to unlock it first before I can view my files. But I can't unlock the phone because my screen is broken hence my current dilemma.

Any other ideas? Do you think this is something a repair shop may be able to do?

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Kies will work when the phone is locked, but it has to be running on the phone first, which is the problem. Is there a way for him to start up Kies remotely? I remember seeing some developmental feature like that in the online dashboard for the Android Lost app. I don't remember if it works for newer versions of Android, however. Some of those features don't.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not enough of an ADB expert to provide step-by-step instructions, but I'm pretty sure you can use ADB to pull content off of the phone. I don't know offhand about being able to unlock the phone, but I'd wager that the folks over on XDA could provide some guidance.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

vvatts

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Get a usb on-the-go cable and use a usb mouse to unlock.

I just tested on my GS4 with a new cable... plugging it in while on the pattern lock screen worked fine. No need for a working digitizer as long as you can see where the mouse cursor is. You can navigate perfectly well with the home button and a mouse, bluetooth mice work fine too but you can't pair them from the lock screen or turn on bt from there. The awkwardness of using a mouse and loss of multitouch and the menu and back keys can cause some issues, but it should be enough to get you by and get a backup with Kies and maybe another backup tool while you are at it.

I'd buy from a US seller. Google led me to Amazon.com: Buying Choices: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter

I'd probably go with LTZmart because they have better feedback than the other cheap us sellers. Buy from 2 sellers if you want to get get going asap and don't trust them much.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Kies will work when the phone is locked, but it has to be running on the phone first, which is the problem. Is there a way for him to start up Kies remotely? I remember seeing some developmental feature like that in the online dashboard for the Android Lost app. I don't remember if it works for newer versions of Android, however. Some of those features don't.

KIES is different from KIES Air or one of the others.

Svensson

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I had the same problem with my S3 (broken screen, locked phone, Kies doesn't let me access it, etc).

Solution: Get another working S3 from a friend, take off the backs of both phones, take off some screws, take the motherboard out, put your motherboard in the phone, turn it on, back up, done).
Your data is saved on the motherboard, so you can just put it in another phone and back up from there.

Just go to youtube and type "Galaxy S3 board swap". It's easy and works.

Cheers.

cpierucki

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Can you elaborate on this process further. I'm not the most tech savvy person.

After I buy a usb on-the-go cable, will I then hook this up to the computer and navigate through that since the screen is broken?

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

mbell1988

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Kies will not let you access your phone unless you unlock the screen on the device, this can be done relatively easily!

Go onto the Samsung website and click the 'find my phone' button (or simply google this).

Log in and there will be an option on the left hand side of the screen to unlock your screen remotely, click this and when the progress bar filled it will say 'your phone is now unlocked'.

Connect with your USB Cable and Kies will allow you access to your files.

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I will try to explain further.

mbell1988

Posted via Android Central App

matt gun

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
can you elaborate please? Like you plug it in and then unlock it with your mouse??? how? you cant just plug it in and the cellphone screen displays on the computer, ya know. I just broke mine and have 17 days to send it back cause i got a new one. how do I do what your talking about? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

jeaniequeen

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi,
i had exactly the same problem, i just followed all the steps on the samsung website but it is saying my phone is offline. cause i cant see my screen i cant but my mobile data on....how can i put it online or is there no option now?
thankyou

Scott Gilbert2

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Kies will not let you access your phone unless you unlock the screen on the device, this can be done relatively easily!

Go onto the Samsung website and click the 'find my phone' button (or simply google this).

Log in and there will be an option on the left hand side of the screen to unlock your screen remotely, click this and when the progress bar filled it will say 'your phone is now unlocked'.

Connect with your USB Cable and Kies will allow you access to your files.

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I will try to explain further.

mbell1988

Posted via Android Central App

I am struggling to accomplish this as it appears I need to be able to use my touch screen to complete the registration process for 'find my phone'.

Scott Gilbert2

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I went with the Android SDK Manager method and that worked for me although I'm not sure at what point it did... I was ready to give up on the process but then I randomly clicked into Kies to see that something I had done had gotten it unlocked. I was then able to transfer the data off with Kies.

Being the lucky guy that I am, I actually have the same exact issue with my brand new phone right now, wherein the screen is cracked and the device is locked. I'm trying to pull the same trick I did last time, but I'm not exactly sure what I did within SDK that made the thing work.

rdworianyn

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You must have two phones (1 with a working screen) to successfully complete this process. You can use the new one that you likely got via your replacement plan, or borrow one from a friend. This should be a last resort and I should also mention that you need to be very careful so as to not damage the working device!
1) Take out the tiny screws from the back of phones (~10 in each).
2) Remove the plastic cover that is shielding the motherboard.
3) Unclip the display cable from both phones, as shown on the left.
4) Insert the cable from the phone with the working screen into the port on the cracked/locked phone, as shown on the right.
5) Boot it back up, and save all of your files after unlocking it.
4h31wwW.jpg

thisguy1234

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone still able to turn on? I was having the same issue as you until i remembered that the phone will be unlocked when you first power it up. So, if timed correctly, you can use Kies to get all the info you need off the phone.

Hoped this helped

Jeanine Alves

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Does it work only with same phones, like Galaxy SIII to Galaxy SIII? Because I have a Nexus S, which is the broken one, and I have access to a Galaxy Pocket.
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888