Galaxy S3 rebooting by itself

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
this just started happening today...
My S3 has been in bootloops most of the day,
I had a call over skype and then it started rebooting.
I have taken out the SD card, and it still reboots. I updated some apps this morning, and saw a later updated to one of those apps and installed the update too, but it sill loops
Any suggestions?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Try a batter pull. Leave it out for several minutes, then restart and see what happens.

Are you rooted? I see you also posted about the phone freezing. Did you install any new apps before that started happening?

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,
I am not rooted, I am running the samsung stock 4.1.2
The issue that was happening before, the freezing is not happening now. It looks like that was a bad app, got updated and was working fine.

I dont know if now its the same deal. If I leave the mobile data off and wifi off, the phone works fine. (though its not really the point of having one of these phones)
As soon as I connect to wifi or mobile data, it reboots.
I plugged it into the Kies suite on the computer, and it can see it, but when I try to perform a back up of the phone, it reboots.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Some people have reported the Chrome app or Facebook app causing reboots and freezes. If you have either or both of those, try uninstalling them.

Otherwise, try uninstalling all your third party apps, and rebooting. See if it works OK with no apps installed. If it does, then install a couple of apps at a time, wait and see if the problem starts again. If not, install a couple of more apps. When the problem re-occurs, you'll be able to pinpoint what app was causing it.

If none of that helps, I think a factory reset is called for.

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I have Chrome but havent really been using it... I uninstalled Facebook and the problem persists.
The strange thing is that if i go into app manager, it reboots. Just as it does when I try to run a back up from Kies suite.
I am copying the info on the phone to the pc, and will reinitialize the software. Think that could work?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If by "reinitialize" you mean a factory reset, then yes, that will probably resolve it. Make sure to test test the phone before installing any software. If it works normally, I'd suggest installing only really important apps, and see if the problem reappears. If so, it's one (or a combination) of those apps. If not, install other apps only 2 or 3 at a time, use the phone for a day or two, and then add 2 or 3 more. If the problem recurs, you'll know what set of apps triggered it.

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
It says it will wipe any settings and data... so I guess its a factory restore.
The Kies suite gives the option. Doesn't really say "factory restore" though

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can do a factory reset from the phone itself. I'm not sure what Kies does. In settings, go to "Back up and reset" and tap "Factory data reset."

Stephen Gowdy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Same thing started happening to me yesterday. Did you figure out what caused it?

I'm not sure but my phone may be hotter than normal near the bottom.

Did your phone also get fixed for the death issue?

mharf

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I concur. Do a factory reset. Backup your phone via Kies and Helium first before you do that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

David Buen Abad

May 14, 2013
Visit site
last month i start with freeze and reboot problems. last week i clean complete my s3 -reset default settings- All was ok for 6 days until i upgrade chrome and install facebook app. I believe one or this 2 apps make this problem.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Some people do seem to have issues with these apps. I have both on my phone (though not the latest version of Facebook, and don't have any problems. I have Facebook syncing and notifications turned off, and Chrome sync to desktop turned off, so I wonder if the problem could be related to those features.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't all these phones run chrome as their browser from factory?

Nope. Most come standard with "Internet" as the browser. Chrome needs to be downloaded from the play store.

(I think I just invented time travel. My response to swagless "appeared" before his question. And one hour before I actually wrote it. :) )

Last edited:

swagless

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone has recently also developed this issue and I of course have facebook (face plant) I updated that app recently and the more I think about it the more im thinking the issue started shortly after said update. Don't all these phones run chrome as their browser from factory?

Cralicek

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I am just not sure it's an app problem. I literally just took a new S3 our of its box, haven't installed anything, except for the newest SW upgrade and it's rebooting every 3-5 minutes, constantly.

I tried a factory reset, just to make sure, got a new sim card from the provider over lunch (the original was just cut and I thought that might be the problem), even tried killing wifi and mobile data.

Any ideas before I send the phone back to the shop?

Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Boot into Recovery mode and clear the cache.
Also do a battery pull.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

SBPabloP

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second S3 after month 3 warranty replacement. Totally lost the digitizer over one weekend. However, that phone used to reboot occasionally. I guess it was infrequent enough that I thought it was systematic, especially since my new S3 does this as well!

I guess the question I would like answered is: Is a self reboot ever normal, or is it always indicative of something awry?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
A self-reboot is usually a sign of a problem: probably in a poorly coded app, but perhaps just some strange interaction between apps that don't play well together. You'll have to keep an eye on what apps you've been running when it decides to restart. Also be sure to read the reviews of the various apps to see if any are suspect.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

loonie01

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
The mo motherboards are might be going bad on them. My power button started to get wonky. Sent it in fit warranty

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

its1110

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I must insist that application bugs SHOULD NOT... NOT cause system reboots.
It is the place of a COMPETENT Operating System to isolate and manage Aplications.
An App crashing a system is the fault of a BUGGY OS... in this case Android!
I suggest that Google get with the program before I (and others) become disillusioned w/ them.