Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 rebooting by itself

Hi,
    this just started happening today...
    My S3 has been in bootloops most of the day,
    I had a call over skype and then it started rebooting.
    I have taken out the SD card, and it still reboots. I updated some apps this morning, and saw a later updated to one of those apps and installed the update too, but it sill loops
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Galaxy S3 rebooting by itself

Try a batter pull. Leave it out for several minutes, then restart and see what happens.

Are you rooted? I see you also posted about the phone freezing. Did you install any new apps before that started happening?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks,
    I am not rooted, I am running the samsung stock 4.1.2
    The issue that was happening before, the freezing is not happening now. It looks like that was a bad app, got updated and was working fine.

I dont know if now its the same deal. If I leave the mobile data off and wifi off, the phone works fine. (though its not really the point of having one of these phones)
    As soon as I connect to wifi or mobile data, it reboots.
    I plugged it into the Kies suite on the computer, and it can see it, but when I try to perform a back up of the phone, it reboots.

Some people have reported the Chrome app or Facebook app causing reboots and freezes. If you have either or both of those, try uninstalling them.

Otherwise, try uninstalling all your third party apps, and rebooting. See if it works OK with no apps installed. If it does, then install a couple of apps at a time, wait and see if the problem starts again. If not, install a couple of more apps. When the problem re-occurs, you'll be able to pinpoint what app was causing it.

If none of that helps, I think a factory reset is called for.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have Chrome but havent really been using it... I uninstalled Facebook and the problem persists.
    The strange thing is that if i go into app manager, it reboots. Just as it does when I try to run a back up from Kies suite.
    I am copying the info on the phone to the pc, and will reinitialize the software. Think that could work?

If by "reinitialize" you mean a factory reset, then yes, that will probably resolve it. Make sure to test test the phone before installing any software. If it works normally, I'd suggest installing only really important apps, and see if the problem reappears. If so, it's one (or a combination) of those apps. If not, install other apps only 2 or 3 at a time, use the phone for a day or two, and then add 2 or 3 more. If the problem recurs, you'll know what set of apps triggered it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It says it will wipe any settings and data... so I guess its a factory restore.
    The Kies suite gives the option. Doesn't really say "factory restore" though

You can do a factory reset from the phone itself. I'm not sure what Kies does. In settings, go to "Back up and reset" and tap "Factory data reset."

Same thing started happening to me yesterday. Did you figure out what caused it?

I'm not sure but my phone may be hotter than normal near the bottom.

Did your phone also get fixed for the death issue?

I concur. Do a factory reset. Backup your phone via Kies and Helium first before you do that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Angry Re: Galaxy S3 rebooting by itself

last month i start with freeze and reboot problems. last week i clean complete my s3 -reset default settings- All was ok for 6 days until i upgrade chrome and install facebook app. I believe one or this 2 apps make this problem.
    Jessie Kish likes this.

Some people do seem to have issues with these apps. I have both on my phone (though not the latest version of Facebook, and don't have any problems. I have Facebook syncing and notifications turned off, and Chrome sync to desktop turned off, so I wonder if the problem could be related to those features.

Quote Originally Posted by swagless View Post
    Don't all these phones run chrome as their browser from factory?
    Nope. Most come standard with "Internet" as the browser. Chrome needs to be downloaded from the play store.

(I think I just invented time travel. My response to swagless "appeared" before his question. And one hour before I actually wrote it. )
    ScottsoNJ likes this.

My phone has recently also developed this issue and I of course have facebook (face plant) I updated that app recently and the more I think about it the more im thinking the issue started shortly after said update. Don't all these phones run chrome as their browser from factory?

Hello all,

I am just not sure it's an app problem. I literally just took a new S3 our of its box, haven't installed anything, except for the newest SW upgrade and it's rebooting every 3-5 minutes, constantly.

I tried a factory reset, just to make sure, got a new sim card from the provider over lunch (the original was just cut and I thought that might be the problem), even tried killing wifi and mobile data.

Any ideas before I send the phone back to the shop?

Thanks!
    bykerg likes this.

Boot into Recovery mode and clear the cache.
    Also do a battery pull.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on my second S3 after month 3 warranty replacement. Totally lost the digitizer over one weekend. However, that phone used to reboot occasionally. I guess it was infrequent enough that I thought it was systematic, especially since my new S3 does this as well!

I guess the question I would like answered is: Is a self reboot ever normal, or is it always indicative of something awry?

A self-reboot is usually a sign of a problem: probably in a poorly coded app, but perhaps just some strange interaction between apps that don't play well together. You'll have to keep an eye on what apps you've been running when it decides to restart. Also be sure to read the reviews of the various apps to see if any are suspect.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

The mo motherboards are might be going bad on them. My power button started to get wonky. Sent it in fit warranty

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I must insist that application bugs SHOULD NOT... NOT cause system reboots.
    It is the place of a COMPETENT Operating System to isolate and manage Aplications.
    An App crashing a system is the fault of a BUGGY OS... in this case Android!
    I suggest that Google get with the program before I (and others) become disillusioned w/ them.
    bykerg likes this.

Smile Re: Galaxy S3 rebooting by itself

If you are running live wall paper, it will cause the self reboot. Symptoms are:
    Self reboot, self-shutdown, sluggish responses, sluggish touch screen, crashes, slow app start, lock up.

Remedy: Change to static or regular wall paper.

My case: Galaxy S3, i9300, Android version 4.1.2 . I experienced the above symptoms until I changed to static (non animating or live) wall paper. Removing the battery and closing all running apps don't help.
    My wife's case: S3, SGH-T999, Android version 4.1.2. When waking her phone, it showed split screen: left side with Dandelion screen, right side with PIN entering screen. I changed hers to the regular or static wall paper, the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

I don't have live wallpaper and have the same issues on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

FishenFool,
    Without knowing any more about your problem it's difficult to make a suggestion:
    - How often does the phone restart itself?
    - Is there something common about the occasions when the phone restarts (ie it always does it when you're texting)?
    - What have you already tried to resolve the problem?
    If you haven't ever done a Factory Reset you may want to start with that - and don't reload the whole Play Store afterwards; just use it "clean" and see if the problem reoccurs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

+1 patient to your hospital.
    Stock S3 on 4.1.2, no root. First reboot happened when I launch Foursquare (reproduced 100% times), now occasional. But almost always when turn on WiFi or launch app manager.

Gents,
    I'm afraid that s3 is a waste of money. I'm facing the same reboot and freezing problems and tried all possible solutions in vain. Installed applications should never be the excuse of such issues, my friends have iPhone 4 since years without any problem. I'm really afraid that s3 is really a waste of money
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast