Battery, is it new or second hand

rosicky7

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I just bought a new S3 lte from a second hand dealer, I'm not too sure if the battery is a new or old one. I used the 4G network & check my mail & read the news & use facebook and from the time i switched on the 4G for about half an hour, there goes 10% of my battery life; 8 min for 1% if I'm using WiFi for heavy usage. Is this the normal performance of a new battery, pls enlighten me.

Screen 58%
voice calls 7%
android Os 7
refer to the attached img

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 32
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if that's normal but it sounds that way. I don't have a crappy 1800 mah battery anymore, and my battery drains differently, but I do remember that 3g used to drain the crap outta my battery, so 10% in a half hour sounds about right

My name is Soundtrack to Chaos, and I have a fetish for external chargers, big batteries, power outlets and extension cords and surge protectors... I need help

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the real answer is that half an hour isn't enough time to tell anything meaningful. I can't really see the details in that tiny image, but it looks like the battery indicator is below half, so the percentages you're seeing represent a much longer period than just 30 minutes. I would suggest charging the phone to 100%, taking it off the charger (which will reset the battery stats), and then see what your usage looks like over 3 to 6 hours.

One thing I've noticed is that the battery remaining percentage doesn't seem to be linear. My battery seems to "drop" much faster at the end of it's cycle than at the beginning, even if I'm using the phone more lightly at the end.

Another thing to note is that 100% doesn't always mean 100%. When you take your phone off the charger, the real battery state could be anywhere from 95% to 100%, and the gauge will still read 100. See here: Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing) - xda-developers

Finally, what variation of S3 do you have? I've never seen a battery stats page that didn't include a graph at the top, like this one:
Screenshot_2013-01-12-00-32-15.png

rosicky7

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi
The phone i'm using is a samsung S3 Lte (4G), version 4.1.2, 3.8v li-lion battery
I have actually tested it over for about 6 hours now, only this time i have installed juice defender and prevent the auto sync of data.
With heavy usage on the 4g network;1% of battery use for 4 min of use
Without heavy usage on the 4g network, leaving it idle ; 1% of battery use for 8 to 10 min of use

1.This was tested after doing a full charge not towards its end cycle
2. also i would like to ask is how useful is the background restriction on data is to battery life ?
3. So after reading that article on the link above is my decline in battery life, its rate considered normal for a new battery ?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Like I already said, 30 minutes isn't enough data to tell anything. 10 minutes is even less meaningful. I gave you some suggestions in my prior post, which you've ignored. No one can give you a specific answer based on what you've told us.

How big an impact restricting background data will have depends on how many apps you have that are doing background data syncing, how often, and how much data is being synced, and how weak or strong your signal is. There are just a ton of variables that affect battery use. 4G uses more power than 3G. A weak signal uses more power than a strong one. Transferring 10 MB of data uses more power than transferring 1MB. Read here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/278622-battery-life-tips-myths.html for more information on battery use.

The screen capture in your first post indicates most of your battery usage since the last full charge was from the screen. How bright do you have screen set? The higher the brightness, the more battery it uses.

As far as your battery, I can't begin to guess whether it's new or used based on what you've provided. I would tend to assume a used phone would come with a used battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49