Samsung Galaxy S3 won't boot up at all ! :(

zimo123

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I've had many problems with my phone (Galaxy S3 by Videotron) ever since I rooted it (5 days ago). It started by simply turning off on its own and taking a lot of time to boot back up. Today, it started doing bizarre things: for instance it wouldn't boot at all unless I tried many many times (it would get stuck at the Samsung logo). Also, when I managed to boot it, the touchscreen wouldn't work very well when I used the keyboard (i.e. if I pressed 'a', it would press 'n' for example and so forth).
So I decided I wanted to master reset it, but whenever I restarted the phone to get into recovery mode, I managed to get there but once it got stuck on the android icon. So I took off the battery and ever since began my huge problems. After that I just couldn't get it to boot back up (always getting stuck at the samsung logo). So I had to take off and replace the battery many times, and now there is absolutely nothing that makes it even get to the samsung logo. I tried the download mode, recovery mode, plugging it on the computer, taking off the battery and plugging the USB: absolutely nothing helps, it's as if the phone is just dead. At this point I have lost any hope :( If anyone has a suggestion on what I could do, I would be super grateful! And if it is impossible to get it back to work, please let me know also so I don't get any hopes.

TL;DR: Phone doesn't boot at all: nothing shows up when I try to boot it, even in recovery mode and download mode. Same thing if I try to plug it to a computer.

Thanks a lot

PS. Forgot to mention, the phone was charged before it stopped working.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not familiar with Videotron, but it probably doesn't really matter. If you can't get your phone to power on at all, I don't think there's anything you can do but return it to Videotron or Samsung for a warranty repair, if it's less than a year old. The good news is that since it's completely dead, they probably won't figure out you rooted it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If they can figure out it's rooted, then they might charge you. I'd say there's a high probability they just replace it with a refurb without ever checking it, but there's no way for me to know for sure. If they do repair it, they'll probably replace the entire motherboard, so once it boots up it'll have the stock ROM on it, not the rooted one.

What's your alternative, though? If it won't even power up, there's no way to change the firmware, and even the JTAG services won't be able to reload the software. If it's any consolation, this really does sound like a hardware failure, and not something your root caused.

zimo123

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok thank you very much for your time and help ! I will take it to videotron today and see what they can do ... You are right, at this point I have no other option :p

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you shouldn't root your replacement?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Chaitram

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my samsung galaxy s3 from T-mobile. i had the phone in my pocket and didn't realize that the battery went dead. i then tried charging it but all that came on was the battery icon showing that it was charging. after an hour charging i tried turning it on but all that would appear is the android icon and then the T-Moble icon followed by the samsung galaxy icon and after that it goes blank and then the battery charging icon appears. and it does the same thing every time i try to turn it on. can you give me some advise or solutions.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For starters, take the battery out, wait a couple of minutes and then put it back in.
Can you boot into Recovery mode or Download mode?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Chaitram

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I Tried leaving the battery out for a while and then putting it back in. but the same thing happens. No it don't boot in recovery or download mode.
Any other suggestions? Since i got the problem i have taken out the sd card along with the battery and left it like that for a day now. How should i proceed?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
all that would appear is the android icon and then the T-Moble icon followed by the samsung galaxy icon and after that it goes blank
Based on this description it would be strange if the phone won't boot into Recovery mode or Download mode. Are you sure you know how to boot into those modes? (Recovery mode - with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Up and Home and Power buttons simultaneously and release them all when you see the splash screen; Download mode - with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously and release them all when you see the splash.)

With the phone plugged in to the charger if the phone won't boot into Download mode then it's game over - time to get it repaired.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can boot into Recovery mode you can select the menu item to clear the cache (using the Volume rockers to navigate and the Power button to select). This should be your first step. If you reboot and things are the same then it's time to move on to Download mode.
For that you'll need to install the Kies software on your PC. The first time you run it, it'll update itself to the latest version. Then put the phone into Download mode, then connect it to your PC. The PC will install the necessary drivers - this can take several minutes. Once the drivers are installed you can use the Kies software to reload the firmware. Use the Tools menu and select the first item (Emergency something-or-other). You'll need to enter the model number and IMEI (both listed under the battery).

serhatsine

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi zimo123,

What is the latest on your side? What was the root cause? I'm having the same problem. My S3 all of a sudden shutdown and not booting up. Weird thing is, battery is not working, mobile device is not working. Totally dead I think. I put my friends working S3 Battery into mine S3, but that don't worked. And yes, my battery is not worked in his mobile, too.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
serhatsine,
What model do you have, and how long have you had it?

It sounds very much like 'sudden death syndrome', in which case all you can do is to send it to Samsung for repair. Unfortunately they'll have to replace the mainboard which means that you'll lose everything (except what is stored on the SD card or synced with the cloud).

With your friends' battery installed, if you connect it to a charger do you see the battery graphic?

It's an odd coincidence that your battery died when this happened - were you able to charge the battery in your friends' phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Myke Garraway

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
help please, anyone??? my Samsung galaxy s3 was working fine then I just looked at it one time and it was stuck on the Samsung galaxy 33 gt-i9300 screen, it will boot into download mode but not recovery mode (volume up + home screen button + on button) from the phone being off. I tried the methods from kies and entered s/n + model and followed the steps then plugged my phone into my laptop and waited the ten mins or so for it to do its thing then it came up with device not found/ recognised. the other ideas require putting the phone into debug mode which is a stupid idea as you cannot access anything but download mode. this device is rooted however my one (same phone, the one in question is my girlfriends) is also rooted and has suffered no issues as a result of rooting. can anyone help? I have no idea how to use odin but I attempted it and it said no phone found??

GEOYERR

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
did your Samsung galaxy s3 ever get repaired/replaced? was it free or did you have to pay.

many thanks because my phone has the same problem

GEOYERR

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
no my phone couldn't do anything. all it did when it was turned on was load the Samsung logo, and then got stuck on it.
I have sent my phone away to Samsung, do you think they could fix it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995