1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default "Restrict Background Data?"

As I understand it, this option allows/forbids background syncing from happening on mobile data. A couple of questions:

1. The prompt says restricting will stop "some apps," which, to me, implies there are some that won't be restricted. Which ones get restricted, and which ones don't?

2. Can I choose to un-restrict or restrict some apps that may be in respective categories?
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3

Default Re: "Restrict Background Data?"

I believe you can choose

My name is Soundtrack to Chaos, and I have a fetish for external chargers, big batteries, power outlets and extension cords and surge protectors... I need help
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

How would I do that? All I see is a single check box for restrict/allow BG data

Settings / Mobile data

Scroll down below the graph and you'll see a list of all the apps that can access the network. Tap on one, scroll down, and check the box next to "Restrict network data."
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by 2:
    GSDerraino 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Settings / Mobile data

Scroll down below the graph and you'll see a list of all the apps that can access the network. Tap on one, scroll down, and check the box next to "Restrict network data."
    Thanks. At first I couldn't find this check box, but when I unchecked the universal "restrict background data," the per-app option came back.

How is RBD different from "auto sync data?" Is the latter network+wifi restricted?
    Last edited by raino; 05-16-2013 at 03:43 PM.

I believe unchecking "auto sync data" prevents all data syncing, even when on WiFi. RBD only limits it while on cellular data, and allows background syncing when connected to WiFi.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3