Slow Tether Speeds

apel69

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Through my carrier I have unlimited data and tethering. When I run a speed test on my phone I can get anywhere from 10-14 Mbps. When I run a speedtest on my tethered computer I am lucky to get 4 Mbps. I called my carrier to make sure there wasn't any sort of speed limiter for tethered devices and they said there was not. I've reset the card, software and a number of other things with no luck. I was running a Netgear WPN311 which is wireless g which should be sufficient and decided to upgrade to an ASUS PCE-N15 which is wireless n. It actually made it worse because now I can't even get 2 Mbps. One test I was only getting .5 Mbps. Has anyone ran into a similar situation? If this isn't the appropriate place for this please kindly let me know.

Phone
Samsung Galaxy S3

Computer
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3600+
2 GB Ram

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. Are you using the phone as a wireless hotspot, or are you using USB to tether the computer to the phone? Or something else? Guess I'm not sure what your router has to do with either of the configurations that I listed.
You didn't differentiate between the upload and download speeds that you normally get on the phone, nor what the upload/download speeds were on the client - just lumping them all together doesn't tell us where the bottleneck is.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

apel69

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about that. It all sounds good in your head as your writing it but of course I knew what I was trying to say. Most times I give too much information for people to wade through.

I am using my phone as wireless hotspot. The speeds I provided are the download speeds. The speeds on the phone are 10-14 Mbps down and 5-7 Mbps up. The speeds on the tethered computer are .5-2 Mbps down and .5 Mbps up. My phone is rooted on a stock ROM.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok. How is the PC getting a wireless connection to the hotspot? Does it have a wireless card/USB dongle? Or is it hardwired to the router, and then you have some kludge configured to get the router to see the hotspot?
If the former, your router could be interfering with the hotspot signal - you should try turning the router off just to see if that's happening.
Edit: I'll check my phone and hotspot client speeds and let you know what I get.
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

apel69

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The PC has a wireless card that connects directly to the phone via the tethering option. The info about the card is in the original post. I currently have the ASUS wirelss n card in and the speed is slower than my old Netgear wireless g card.

At soccer this morning I borrrowed a friends S3 and tethered it to my phone. I was able to get around 10 Mbps on their phone which matched the speed I was able to get on my phone.