Change the firmware to another country?

ShrewLlama

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased a Galaxy S3 from overseas (well, from a retailer that resells overseas stock), and it came installed with Hong Kong firmware, version I9305ZHBMD1 (after I updated it to 4.1.2).

Anyway, bits of the firmware are in Chinese, and I can't select "English (Australia)" (where I live) because the language simply does not appear in the settings - so I was wondering if it is possible to re-install an Unlocked Australian version of the firmware...?

But - I don't want to root/flash the phone or anything like that - as I just got it, and am new to Android - and I don't want to risk bricking it... So, is it possible to do through Kies? Or even without keys, can I do it without rooting/flashing, as I just don't want to risk bricking it...?

Thanks. :)

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually the GT-I9305 is the LTE version. You may be able to use any of the International versions that are for the LTE variant.

ShrewLlama

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually the GT-I9305 is the LTE version. You may be able to use any of the International versions that are for the LTE variant.

Ah, yes - it is the LTE version with the Quad-core, Exynos 4412 processor and 2GB RAM - though according to Samsung it is called "Samsung Galaxy S III 4G" (at least where I live).

So; what ROM exactly can I run, can I install it without rooting/flashing the phone, and will I lose my data (not a great deal, I've only had it for a few days, just I would like to know)?

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. That said you may need to be rooted to use a different International rom. Not sure which one you would use.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone just needs to be in Download mode (with the phone turned off, press the Home, Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously, then release them all once the logo appears) in order to be ready to have a ROM loaded. You'll need Odin, and of course the correct drivers loaded on a PC.
Your best bet is to look in the rooting sub-forum for the International version of the phone to get the necessary steps, although you won't actually need to root for this purpose. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the ROM that you'll need to load, although I have read threads mentioning Australian phones/ROMs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

ShrewLlama

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The phone just needs to be in Download mode (with the phone turned off, press the Home, Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously, then release them all once the logo appears) in order to be ready to have a ROM loaded. You'll need Odin, and of course the correct drivers loaded on a PC.
Your best bet is to look in the rooting sub-forum for the International version of the phone to get the necessary steps, although you won't actually need to root for this purpose. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the ROM that you'll need to load, although I have read threads mentioning Australian phones/ROMs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your help - and I will do just that - but I just have one more question regarding this - Is it totally safe, or is there a chance that I could stuff my phone up?

And - if I did stuff it up would it be gone, or could I recover it - say if I loaded an incorrect ROM to my phone would it be gone completely?

Being fairly new to Android - I don't really want to take chances...

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon