Samsung Galaxy S3 charging issue

zee991

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
100% USB cable problem.
Had it with Samsung Galaxy Nexus ... Tried lots of repairs and stuff and in the end turned out to be USB.

Now my S3 has started doing the same.

Looking for a replacement charger now. It's really frustrating that such an incredible phone is shipped with such a poor charger.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
100% USB cable problem.
Had it with Samsung Galaxy Nexus ... Tried lots of repairs and stuff and in the end turned out to be USB.

Now my S3 has started doing the same.

Looking for a replacement charger now. It's really frustrating that such an incredible phone is shipped with such a poor charger.

If it's a cable problem, as you suggest, why do you need to buy a new charger (instead of just a new cable)?

Vivek Jadohn

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is with the charger of S3. Same problem i was also facing, so i tried charger of other phone having same mini-usb charger. Now its charging as expected. So in my suggestion leave your S3 USB charger and start using other charger which is direct, no USB connection in between.

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been through 2 USB cables and 1 mains plug adaptor in the last year or so, even though I don't move either the plug or cable away from where it's plugged in by my bedside table. I think the accessories (especially the ones that come with the phone) are pretty crappy in quality.

Stefan Kolaric

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! Blow the hole solution worked for me... Due to dust accumulation in the usb socket the phone does not charge properly... a very weird solution .. but just blow the hole and it works- that is if you can charge it via pc but cant via charger

Derek_TC

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue, I went to Samsung's chat support, this is what I was told, and this was actually the name of the person I was chatting with.

Shaniqua: Please perform the below steps:
Shaniqua: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
Shaniqua: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
Shaniqua: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
Shaniqua: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
Shaniqua: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the 'wipe cache partition' option and press the Power key to select.
Shaniqua: 6. After user data deletes, press the Power key to reboot system now.

Shaniqua: As we have performed with wipe all cache, I request to charge the device upto 100% and observe the device, if the issue persists, you can get back to us, we will be glad to assist you 24/7.

I hope this works, my phone is currently charging up to 100% and it seems to be fine so far.

billythegoat

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife is using S3 and have problem charging her S3. After changing the charger adapter, problem still persist. So I change the charging USB cable, and the problem solved. It is charging fast and properly as per specification. When I bought S4, I decide to bring the S3 original USB charging cable to office, and the same charging problem repeat again on my S4. Plus it couldn't comm with my PC. So I conclude it is the charging cable issue.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've used three different cables and plugs and had the same problem. I have a Samsung OEM charger for my truck, the desktop dock at my desk, and the original charger at home. All three I have used and experienced odd charging behavior. It will be discharging battery percentage even though the red light is on and it says charging. Last night I went to sleep with it plugged in at 57% and woke up to it at 38%.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got the phone and have ordered Sammy 2A chargers for both car and home.
I'm using a Blackberry cable with my old iPhone cube for now, and seem to have no problems.
Hopefully the supplied cables are good for both charging and data.

afobisme

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having slow charging issues as well... but i think my issue is beyond the cable. Its randomly beeping and vibrating while im charging. I bought this phone 2nd hand last week and the previous owner has a history using a cheap battery from ebay (as backup). Also, after i plug the cable in and turn the phone screen off, the phone sometimes turns itself back on.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm certain it's the USB port being defective.. could be flint, but i don't see any. how much would that cost to replace? I think it's soldered onto the motheboard.

Last edited:

Am1067

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I am having slow charging issues as well... but i think my issue is beyond the cable. Its randomly beeping and vibrating while im charging. I bought this phone 2nd hand last week and the previous owner has a history using a cheap battery from ebay (as backup). Also, after i plug the cable in and turn the phone screen off, the phone sometimes turns itself back on.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm certain it's the USB port being defective.. could be flint, but i don't see any. how much would that cost to replace? I think it's soldered onto the motheboard.

I have been doing some research on this as well and what you describe sounds like spyware aka cell phone tracker software has been installed on your phone. I would research that possibility especially since you purchased it second hand. I read somewhere that if you reset the phone to factory settings you can wipe it off the phone. I also have an S3 with charging issues (charging very slowly...like 10+ hours) but the screen is not turning on and off and no vibrating or beeping issues. Good luck...hope this helps.

Bender Moolman

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi
same problem on my side, S3 charge, then stop charging, changing apps from lets say subway surfer to a desk clock.
but the biggest problem is the charging and then not charging.. its charges like for a few seconds then stops, then starts again..

its frustrating...!!!!

and I love my S3 but this is just to much, can only charge when the power is off...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Bender,
Have you tried a different charger/cable?
Does it charge normally if you power off the phone while it's charging?
Your problem sounds like it might be an issue with the microUSB connector (charging port) but it's hard to say. Does it behave differently if you wiggle the cable connector when it's plugged in?
If it turns out to be a problem with the charging port, your best bet might be to go with a wireless charging kit.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Your problem sounds like it might be an issue with the microUSB connector (charging port).
If it turns out to be a problem with the charging port, your best bet might be to go with a wireless charging kit.
And this is why I intend to do the Pixi back mod to my phone from the start.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone just over a week...
The package with a spare back and Touchstone+Pixi is on it's way from Amazon.
Amazon.com : Generic Battery Back Door Cover Replacement for Samsung Galaxy S III S3 i9300 - Pebble Blue : Electronics
Amazon.com : Palm Touchstone Charging Dock with Home Travel Charger and Black Inductive Back Cover for Palm Pixi Palm Pixi Plus : Electronics

I have changed too many USB's and charging ports in portable electronics over the years from constantly plugging them in and/or bumping the plug.
The thread over on XDA inspired me to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781