Samsung Galaxy S3 charging issue

djuncos

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have gone through seven chargers in four months, even after T-Mobile replaced my phone. My girlfriend bought the same phone at the same time as I did, and still has her original charger. The only discernable difference, besides our providers, is that I have an Otterbox Defender on mine and she has a much smaller, sleeker case.

Has anyone notice a correlation between charger problems and the size and bulkiness of the case?

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I have gone through seven chargers in four months, even after T-Mobile replaced my phone. My girlfriend bought the same phone at the same time as I did, and still has her original charger. The only discernable difference, besides our providers, is that I have an Otterbox Defender on mine and she has a much smaller, sleeker case.

Has anyone notice a correlation between charger problems and the size and bulkiness of the case?

The only possible correlation between the different cases (and this is a slim possibility) is that your thicker case keeps more heat encased in and around your phone making your phone hot, and therefore somewhat less efficient at charging. But thats the only thing I can think of and thats only if you suffer from slow charging, not just not charging at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Laerthas

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have similar issue as you:

My S3 suddenly stopped charging I tried following:

I used different cables (same S3 charger, HTC charger, Sony charger) - no effect
I used charging via computer - no effect
I even tried wipe - no effect
Unplugged the battery and plug it again - no effect
I even tried yelling and screaming at it - no effect :)

I will try to use different battery and post the results here. As far as I've been able to troubleshoot this problem it seems that the USB connector on the device is faulty.

Laerthas

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I found out that if I plug the original charger with a little finesse (after several attempts) it start to charge again. So my problem is definitely USB connector on phone, I also run a check just to be sure with antivirus and cut the phone from the world (wifi and data, push notifications). Hope this helped someone at least to order their thoughts.

Cheers

Kevin Packard

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying this is a charger/cable issue, but it isn't (at least it isn't just that). It seems to be either a hardware problem with the battery or a software problem with the way the phone charges. On two separate occasions I've had two out of three chargers stop working correctly at exactly the same time. Moreover, the behavior that begins at that point with both chargers is identical and very specific. They give what seems to be a 1/3 or so charge rate up to a point, then stop charging at all. The point they stop charging at is continually reduced while the phone remains on. Getting it to charge more requires leaving the phone off for charging (which takes forever).

There is no way this specific behavior could be the chargers or the cables. It's an issue with the phone itself, not the chargers, and it needs to be addressed. I'm about ready to demand a replacement and make a permanent switch from Samsung.

FYI - in both cases the chargers that stopped working correctly simultaneously were a car charger plugged into a 9 vlt and a wall charger that was not a USB cable. The charger that continued to work correctly was a wall charger with a USB cable. Also, I was able to plug the USB cable from that charger into the car charger and it worked fine.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
FYI - in both cases the chargers that stopped working correctly simultaneously were a car charger plugged into a 9 vlt and a wall charger that was not a USB cable. The charger that continued to work correctly was a wall charger with a USB cable. Also, I was able to plug the USB cable from that charger into the car charger and it worked fine.

The bolded phrase would seem to indicate a problem with the USB cable you had in the car, wouldn't it?

xephyr417

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I am fairly convinced it isn't the charging cables. I have tried 3 separate ones. They all work perfectly for my headphones, other phones, and anything else I can find that charges via microUSB.

I have also tried using other chargers, headphone chargers, BB chargers, etc all with the same effect.

Interestingly, I am sometimes able to get it to charge normally if the cord is in a certain position. It is usually only briefly and if I jostle it at all it will stop. This has lead me to think that it might be a defect in the charger port itself. It is the only thing (that I can think of) that fits all of these cases. I think the charging port just has a tendency to become defective... I want a new phone.

Kevin Packard

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The bolded phrase would seem to indicate a problem with the USB cable you had in the car, wouldn't it?

In a vacuum, possibly, but you willfully ignored the contextual information providing evidence to the contrary. I just confirmed today - It's some sort of bug that lies in the interaction between the battery/charging software and certain chargers. I used the partition cache clearing measure mentioned earlier in this thread this morning and then charged it up to 100% using my good charger, and now all 3 of my chargers are back to working normally. I ordered a new battery too, just to be on the safe side.

For anyone having this problem who is not so sure the cable is to blame (it's probably only sometimes that), try that method that was mentioned in an earlier post (power up your phone with Vol. up and home pressed and then clear your battery cache). It did the trick for me, for now at least.

acebolt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 charging issue SOLVED (worked for me, may not for you) !

Hey Guys ...
I was experiencing the same problem. My S3 would just show the initial empty batter stack whenever I made a fresh contact with a charger & disappear within a second or two. I feared I might have to change the battery or worse, may be send it to the repair centre. However, I just tried replacing the connector. Fortunately, It worked when I replaced the Samsung connector with the Nokia one, after three two futile attempts. I had a couple of spare Samsung chargers from my previous Samsung phones which were hard-bound to the the charger on one end. I don't know why my S3 wouldn't respond to them :p However, I just connected the Nokia one & plugged it on to my laptop. Well, it seems to work fine for now.

Try changing your connector. That could be a likely source of problem. Good Luck with your resolution bid guys ! :)

nickb13

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have found a solution to this problem. It seems this is caused by the Samsung S3's USB CHARGER. Do NOT replace the charger for a new one, instead, BUY/GET another official Samsung mobile wall-plug charger, I found the Samsung S8000 Jet's charger works PERFECTLY and charges the Samsung S3 to 100% in less then 2 hours.

FlowerChild21

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been experiencing the same problem, if I put my phone on the charger and try to use it while its on the charger it wont even charge sometimes I have to turn it off completely to get it to charge, I found out that if I use a charger that is not of Samsung my phone charges faster than it ever did I believe the problem is the chargers my phone is only 4 months old so I doubt my battery is run down.

Sharvil Pradhan

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am also facing the same problem. It takes about 6-7 hours to charge from 10% to full when switched off. This is terrible. I use 1 amp original charger. This should take just over 2 hours to charge a 2100 mah battery of S3. I am pissed off and feels like I have been cheated after spending so much of hard earned money. Its not even two months since I bought this new phone.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I am also facing the same problem. It takes about 6-7 hours to charge from 10% to full when switched off. This is terrible. I use 1 amp original charger. This should take just over 2 hours to charge a 2100 mah battery of S3. I am pissed off and feels like I have been cheated after spending so much of hard earned money. Its not even two months since I bought this new phone.

I had the same issue. It is slow charging issue. I went to Samsung Service Centre and they found the USB faulty. Since my phone was under warranty they replaced it for free. I saw at least four S3 users there and they had the same problem - slow charging.
So either you visit service centre and replace ur USB if it isn warranty or get the new one. Dont buy any local cord as it can be hazardous.

Sent from my GSIII

Matlov

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The problem with my phone simply that the connector was bent. I took a tooth pick and just forced the connector . Problem solved. Just don't bend it too much, because then it will "connect" to the docking station. /Matlov

Pavol Obrusnik

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
hey guys

there is lot of forums around but l did not find anything what did the job.
my problem is only fully charging if the phone is off.just to mention my phone is galaxy note 7000 but you find most galaxies forums the same problem.
l tried so far :

new battery, nothing
new chargers bought, nothing
cleaned all kind of parts inside the phone,nothing
moved the central pod in usb port once up ,nothing, then later moved it down, nothing
tried lg charger and other samsung charger , nothing
i bought and installed new usb port on phone and i found little progress here:
if i connect to laptop it is being recognised but still not charging, while with the old usb port connected to the laptop it wasnt recognised at all.
so new usb port in and still not charging,
then i did the above mentioned cache wipe, and at this point am not sure if did it right or not. because it was done in something like 3sec or less.
then reboot the system, the phone is on, and not charging again
some guys saying charge it to full100% but i only can charge it now with phone being s/off
so waiting now to be charged fully. if it works, i let you know in couple of hours.
( I doubt it anyway ):-\

the last option is an old good hammer.

update:

still the same, no difference.
I think over again and maybe the usb port i got is not genuine, i ordered another one today, clearly stated as oem (original equipment manufacturer) with GH59-11676A code it costed me 3times more as one before around 23pounds in uk. i do update later. see what happens.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Pavol,
First off, yes, the cache wipe in Recovery mode only takes a few seconds.

It sounds like when you replaced the micro-USB port things improved, so that was a good go.

If you leave the phone turned on (with the screen off), what level will the battery charge to before it stops?
And if the phone is turned on (again with the screen off), how long does it take to reach whatever that level is?
What size battery is in your phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

adam mcintosh1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
i need to inform you that sending your phone to EE wont happen as I have a Samsung galaxy S3 the charging port on mine has broken i rang EE up they said they will send a bag to our postcode on monday. that bag hasn't arrived and its now thursday i rang up EE again Saying that there not doing there job and that i am going to end the contract. they said I cant end the contract and if you do end the contract its a ?300 fine we are still awaiting if anything happens. quick warning get out of your contract as soon as you can.

swaggy1216

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
cleaning samsung galaxy s3 - YouTube
check this video out

sometimes moisture can get in the port of the phone and just needs simple cleaning. This works for some but sadly not all. I tried it and it didnt work but we think my contacts in the port are bent or broken due to the charging cord being yanked out. We have found the parts for like 4 bucks on ebay so we are just replacing it ourselves
(contacts are the little bronze things )

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhuINWng3Y
check this video out

sometimes moisture can get in the port of the phone and just needs simple cleaning. This works for some but sadly not all. I tried it and it didnt work but we think my contacts in the port are bent or broken due to the charging cord being yanked out. We have found the parts for like 4 bucks on ebay so we are just replacing it ourselves
(contacts are the little bronze things )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos