Totally Frustrated! Can't find fully functioning replacement Headphones

Carl Petersen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone, I mean anyone have ANY 100% confirmation (i.e. used themselves) in regard to replacement headphones, I am SO FRUSTRATED right now, as I ordered some pieces of garbage from amazon, that didn't work (terrible sound quality and microphone would not work, as well as music skipping was buggy at best), good thing they were only like 6 bucks.

Both me and my wife's headphones have basically gone out at the same time (we have owned this phone for exactly 11 months now) doing the scratchy disconnect thing in one ear, SUPER annoying!

Having so much trouble finding anything that has been confirmed to work. I don't mind spending money, but it had better work! I am willing to spend up to 80 bucks for working quality headphones, but I have scoured forums everywhere and can't seem to get any confirmation of anything for sale now that actually is compatible with the Sprint Galaxy SIII

can anyone please help, this is a much needed subject as I expect more people to be having this problem as their devices turn 11 months old too :confused:

KCandroidite

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I too went on a search to replace the OEM headphones. I already had an impressive digital music library but never used it. Then I bought my GS3 and loaded up all my music (16 gig of music on a 32 gig Sandisk from Radio Shack for $17.99 on sale!). Then I tried the stock ear buds...PA POW! My music was back and better than ever. Then, of course, I wanted freedom from my phone. I tried the Plantronics BackBeat Go from Radio Shack (on sale for $59.99) and they we ok but not enough sound. I searched and searched and finally plunked down the $170 ($184 with tax) for the Jaybird Bluebuds X. Trust me, it hurt spending that kind of money but I had to know! They are defiinitly worth the money! I use PlayerPro (with the DSPPack) so I did setup my own equalizer settings (and it makes a WORLD of difference!). The bass is awesome, the treble high, excellent mids and yea....you better turn them down when you first put them on as they will blast your ear drums big time! The BT range is not as much as I expected but I live in a brick home. I can go about 2 rooms. Outside, well, you better keep your phone in your pocket! I also added some Comfy isolation plus foams (TX-500 from memory, the TSX-500 didn't work well at all for me, to round!) and that really made the bass and sound even better. A note on Playerpro, it is so cool to see all the album and CD covers and the artists. PlayerPro is worth the small investment also...for what it's worth...

Carl Petersen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
So can you answer phone calls, change music volume and fast forward songs like the OEM headphones with those?

Also, any cheaper alternatives? remember I have to buy two pairs, and not that 400 bucks is a ton of money to me, it isn't chump change, and I'd rather spend far less if I can!

Last edited:

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I haven't come across any pair of 3-button configuration earbuds that are compatible with android. However, there are some one-button earbuds that work reasonably well with headset control apps (I use jays headset control).

The klipsch s4a are supposedly pretty good, most of the negative reviews are because of poor controls and not due to sound quality. However, from what I've read (no experience with these myself), the issue is with klipsch's control app, and you should be fine using 3rd party apps. Klipsch is well known for sound quality so you can't go wrong with these.

Another option is the a-Jays One +, apparently decent sound but haven't tried.

Urbanears also have android compatible earbuds. Their cheapest is called bagis, but sound quality isn't great. Maybe even after taking price tag into consideration (35 USD). Not entirely sure how good $35 earphones are supposed to sound.

I'm currently using (and highly recommend) Urbanears medis ($50). Sound quality is pretty good for the price, and definitely one of the most comfortable pair I've tried over the years. These are very unconventional in terms of design, the buds are sort of resting just outside your ear canal, as opposed to being shoved into them. The in-line mic is excellent as well.

These are just a few examples (only the ones I've considered and researched). However, you should be fine with any that is listed as being android compatible, so long as you use them in conjuction with a headset control app. I recommend jays headset control. Settings are very customizable, but by default it allows you to pause/play/answer with one click, skip track with double click, previous track with triple click. Single click and hold and double click and hold are supposed to increase and decrease volume respectively, but does not work for some users, myself included. Brings up Google now voice control instead.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KCandroidite

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You can answer phone calls, use Google Now, ff track and rw track but not ff and rw in the track. I should have mentioned I looked ALL over for cheaper alternatives and almost all corded headsets won't work. I researched for 2 months and as I said I tried the $80 BackBeats (for $59 on sale) but they didn't have the volume. I also only got a couple hours out of the BBeats and I get 4.5-6 hours on the Bluebuds...

I bought my Bluebuds from Best Buy so I could take them back. You can buy them directly from Jaybird on ebay and amazon and I would save the money on tax now and get them there with no tax and no shipping...

Robert White1

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Both me and my wife's headphones have basically gone out at the same time (we have owned this phone for exactly 11 months now) doing the scratchy disconnect thing in one ear, SUPER annoying!

If the Scratchy sound is the only problem, and occasional skipping (when the wires move) you might want to invest in a product called
DEOX-IT or an other one called CRAMMOLIN

These products enhance the connectivity in whatever you have that needs to make a clean connection.

Just put some (not slobber it) on the plug, and insert it into the jack on the top of the phone. twist it back and forth so that the coating gets on the inside contacts and pull it out and reinsert a couple of times and try reapplying the liquid and try the same thing as before and see if your connection improves. I'll bet it does.
I used to live right next to a radio station and all the time I'd get to hear the station in the background and could not nake that sound go away, no matter what I was using on the stereo, I'd hear the radio in the background. I finally coated every rca jack in the system and every ground shielding connection, and the sound was as clean as can be! no radio station, and also no HUM, no matter how high I had the volume control. I can attest to the effectiveness of these products as I have had PERSONAL experience using them. I know you will too.
BTW, Just for your info, I am a Certified Electronics Tech, and a retired Systems Engineer..... in case you are not sure I know what I'm talking about. :)
Good Luck! & Aloha From Hawaii

Carl Petersen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

If the Scratchy sound is the only problem, and occasional skipping (when the wires move) you might want to invest in a product called
DEOX-IT or an other one called CRAMMOLIN

These products enhance the connectivity in whatever you have that needs to make a clean connection.

Just put some (not slobber it) on the plug, and insert it into the jack on the top of the phone. twist it back and forth so that the coating gets on the inside contacts and pull it out and reinsert a couple of times and try reapplying the liquid and try the same thing as before and see if your connection improves. I'll bet it does.
I used to live right next to a radio station and all the time I'd get to hear the station in the background and could not nake that sound go away, no matter what I was using on the stereo, I'd hear the radio in the background. I finally coated every rca jack in the system and every ground shielding connection, and the sound was as clean as can be! no radio station, and also no HUM, no matter how high I had the volume control. I can attest to the effectiveness of these products as I have had PERSONAL experience using them. I know you will too.
BTW, Just for your info, I am a Certified Electronics Tech, and a retired Systems Engineer..... in case you are not sure I know what I'm talking about. :)
Good Luck! & Aloha From Hawaii

Interesting! I am going to give this a try and let you know if it solved my issues! I like the $20 solution best :)

Carl Petersen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
GRR! Deoxit did not solve the issue (as I guessed its in the wiring near the plug) no way I can DIY fix it as the rubber surround is glued to the metal plug part. /sigh

So anyway Apparently the GSIII headphones have a 1 year warranty, so PHEW I am close to the cut off there!

Thank goodness because even the accessory department at samsung said the headsets they sell don't even have full 3 button functionality... wtf! And to top it off, you can't even just buy a new headset that came with the phone, apparently they don't make them or sell them except paired with the phone! Talk about stupid!

Carl Petersen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
So finally got my warranty'd earbuds returned to me... yay! I still am floored by the fact that they won't just sell these things, they could make a killing!