Please help!! Switching to straight talk....can i use my current phone with the new provider?

jamieoz

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am desperately hoping someone here can help answer some questions for me, I am very torn if switching is a good idea and if I can "unlock" my Samsung GS3 from US Cellular to make it work with straight talk service. Recently, the sprint network bought out US Cell, which is the main carrier in my area along with Verizon, and I have been beyond unhappy with all the changes. Some family and friends have switched to straight talk and love it so I am considering doing the same since it would save me about $80 a month with no apparent changes in reception, speed, etc. I am in no way very tech savy and wanted to ask some of you "experts" if this would work. I have the S3 from US Cell and was told that I could find out online how to unlock it and then apply straight talk service to it? I don't want to assume that would work and nobody at straight talk wants to give me an answer so thats where you all come in :) Also, will I lose all of my info if I do that to the phone? Any help or info you guys can pass along would be so appreciated!

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
prepaid is the way to go.

no your phone will not work with straight talk. they sell a s3 with lte on sprint and have several phones on verizon and a new program where you can buy an older verizon 3G only phone and activate it.

i will tell you as a longtime user that staright talk is not fair and is losing lots of cutomers but that is another story. they no longer sell ATT sims but do sell tmobile. you can buy sims off ebay and use att but you will not last long.

if you need att use the sister company net10. and i am sure your s3 is a no go

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am desperately hoping someone here can help answer some questions for me, I am very torn if switching is a good idea and if I can "unlock" my Samsung GS3 from US Cellular to make it work with straight talk service. Recently, the sprint network bought out US Cell, which is the main carrier in my area along with Verizon, and I have been beyond unhappy with all the changes. Some family and friends have switched to straight talk and love it so I am considering doing the same since it would save me about $80 a month with no apparent changes in reception, speed, etc. I am in no way very tech savy and wanted to ask some of you "experts" if this would work. I have the S3 from US Cell and was told that I could find out online how to unlock it and then apply straight talk service to it? I don't want to assume that would work and nobody at straight talk wants to give me an answer so thats where you all come in :) Also, will I lose all of my info if I do that to the phone? Any help or info you guys can pass along would be so appreciated!

Gonna give this one a try, don't hold me to any answers.

First call Straight Talk and see if the phone is compatible on their network. Next, I would call US Cellular/Sprint. They can give you the unlock code, and I believe will help you through the procedure. If you do obtain a code without carrier consent, that is illegal. Call Straight Talk again, and they should help you with the set up procedures.

I don't believe this should have any impact on your phone. I would ask first, before doing anything.

EDIT: I just caught something I didn't on the first read through. The fact that the reps at Straight Talk didn't want to give you an answer doesn't sit well with me. I know you are upset with Sprint, but it's best to stay where you are now, and ensure what you are doing is the best thing. I would do a little more research on the satisfaction of the company before going further. I recently ran into this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ot...throttled-life-straight-talk.html#post2833998

I am not bashing this company. I have no dealings with them whatsoever. What I have heard has been mixed across the board from awesome to awful.

jamieoz

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I was afraid it was a no go but wanted to get another opinion first. That is disappointing to hear straight talk is going downhill :( As far as decent pre-paid services here in WI it is pretty much the only option. A lot of the other national carriers are pretty bad in this area such as ATT and T-mobile....nobody has them....its either verizon or US Cell. The changes and issues I am seeing with US Cell are just things I am not willing to accept......12 years of loyal service and it means nothing.....prices are going up out of control, all the perks earned for paying on time and being with them so long are suddenly taken away...i could go on and on. Ugh, well, I will just have to keep looking then. I am currently borrowing a straight talk phone and using that network while I decide if I want to renew with US Cell but it looks like I need a little more time. Thanks for all of your help :)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I was afraid it was a no go but wanted to get another opinion first. That is disappointing to hear straight talk is going downhill :( As far as decent pre-paid services here in WI it is pretty much the only option. A lot of the other national carriers are pretty bad in this area such as ATT and T-mobile....nobody has them....its either verizon or US Cell. The changes and issues I am seeing with US Cell are just things I am not willing to accept......12 years of loyal service and it means nothing.....prices are going up out of control, all the perks earned for paying on time and being with them so long are suddenly taken away...i could go on and on. Ugh, well, I will just have to keep looking then. I am currently borrowing a straight talk phone and using that network while I decide if I want to renew with US Cell but it looks like I need a little more time. Thanks for all of your help :)

I'm just curious what part of WI you're from. I used to live near La Crosse, and I know from experience that US Cellular is pretty much the only viable option there. I had stellar coverage with US Cellular, but I had Verizon the last couple years I lived there and the service was spotty at best. I moved away a few years ago though so I don't know if it's improved. If I lived there again I would probably use US Cellular and suck it up... as much as I would hate to.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

All of the carriers are changing. Coverage, sometimes pricing, etc. Perhaps Verizon may have signal boosting in the next few months.

Look at it this way...better to find some of this out now, as opposed to a few months from now. There are many prepaid services to go with. Tmo, verizon, virgin is owned by Sprint.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

InterstateCowboy

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is terrible in Wisconsin, especially around Eau Claire and La Crosse. I'm a trucker, and I go through there on a weekly basis (as I go into the Minneapolis, and Deluth areas from Chicago). So, no, the coverage hasn't changed much. ATT is terrible too. US Cellular is probably the best, as you stated, because I have had several carriers through that region, and none seemed to work all that well.

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I am with my wife on straight talk with an att phone and sim and have not had a problem once. I dont think us cell will work, but if you can find an att sim and them save up for a phone. you will save lots of money. I been able to find refill cards for as low as 31 a month on ebay (it was a while back).

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
As I was told the other day, as well as stated on ST byop page. CDMA 4g phones are not able to work on ST. Ran into this issue when a buddy of mine wanted to buy a razr from me and ST said no

Joshua Watson1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon droid x2 and I want to try straight talk is there any way the phone could work with the carriers I'd like to know own be for I spend any money and really no one that I talk to knows maybe the world wide Web knows I'd be thankfully of any answers

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon droid x2 and I want to try straight talk is there any way the phone could work with the carriers I'd like to know own be for I spend any money and really no one that I talk to knows maybe the world wide Web knows I'd be thankfully of any answers

Go to ST byop page and enter the info they need. If it says no, you can always talk to someone that flashes in your area. Other wise if the phone still has a clean verizon esn, and you get good verizon service in the area. You can flash it to page plus for free in about 3-5 mins. Its very easy. If that is something your interested in, I can help you out

Furmentor

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
My wife just had this conversation with a ST rep

Rachel: Hello. We are looking at switching providers and are looking at your options. We are currently with US Cellular. Can you verify that it is easy and inexpensive to get a new sim card so we can keep using the Samsung Galaxy III phones we already have?
Icy: I'm sorry, Rachel. Your phone is not compatible with our "Bring Your Own Phone" program.
Rachel: Can we get it unlocked and bring it?
Icy: Due to a new law in the U.S. it is now illegal for a customer to unlock their own cell phone.
Icy: Please be informed that as long as the phone you will be bringing to the Straight Talk service is an unlocked GSM phone, it should work with the BYOP program.
Rachel: Right, but we could have USC do it for us, right?
Icy: I will recommend you to do that.
Rachel: Ok, so if we unlock our SGIII (through USC) and bring it to you, what is the cost to get that phone up and running with your service?
Icy: There is no guarantee that all features will work.
Rachel: Ok. Any idea what features are usually affected?
Icy: One moment please...
Icy: There is a tendency that you cannot send or receive picture messages and you cannot access your browser.
Rachel: But if we purchased the phone from you directly, that isn't an issue?
Icy: No, Rachel.
Rachel: So you say we may have issues accessing the browser - is that just the one that comes on the phone? Or does that include other ones we may have downloaded (ie - Chrome, Firefox, etc)?
Icy: Yes, that includes those since it requires the use of an internet.

I think we may try my phone on ST and see how it works before fully switching. I would like to know what they mean, by things may not work. Something this forum or XDA couldn't figure out.

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just that simple really. Some phones will not get full data related items. Mms, browsing, etc. there are ways of making it work. Also if you bought the phones before late jan/early feb of this year that law doesnt effect you. You can have uscc unlock it if they will. They are a pain to deal with so expect the worst. Otherwise you can find someone to do it for you. The reason why st says its not compatible is because the byop system is for non 4g cdma devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JennyJones7312

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if you would tell me about how bad Straight Talk is getting. My mother in law wants to switch from Verizon but now I think it's a bad idea because my friends phone shut down after a year and she had to buy a new one.... so can I hear some of the bad stuff?

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone:

I have now successfully switched to straight talk from T-mobile on my Samsung Galaxy S4.
I'm loving it!!
I travel for work and it works great in Dallas where my work is based as well as in Central Florida where I live.
T-Mobile was charging our family over $ 200 dollars a month. For me alone, I'm paying $ 45 a month. My husband is next, to say the least. Even though I paid $ 270 to get rid of my T-Mobile contract early (it was through December 2014), you can do the math and see it is incredibly cost effective. Worked great in the hotel. Totally recommend it.
It took me a long time to figure out how to make the switch. Here's my experience.

1) The instructions from T-Mobile were that I could install a non-T-mobile sim card and boom, up would come a screen asking me for the unlock code. T-Mobile provided me the code as I had been paying these extortionate rates for over a year, but I could not get the Samsung to get me to that screen. I went on line and there were all of these tech weenies telling me how to root the phone. Well, if you do so, your phone warranty is void. If there is a problem, your email buddy tech weenie will disappear. Don't do it.

2) I went to the T-Mobile store. I had already shifted my phone number to Straight talk and they said it was an unsupported account. Fine. A nice guy in the store spent 6 minutes making sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes, then told me to call Samsung. Really good advice.

3) I called Samsung. They stepped me through what should have been a way to fix the phone. Of course, the screen still didn't pop up. Samsung told me that the firmware wasn't updated. I needed to send it in. They sent me a free UPS label and told me to box it up and send it to them, it would take 10 days to repair.

4) I got an email from Samsung saying it was not repaired because the warranty was out of date. I quickly responded, gave them the $ 70.00 to renew the warranty over the phone (why they couldn't say that from the beginning remains a mystery), and lo and behold, yet another 6 days later, I received my phone back.

It was working with Straight Talk from the get go, and I was set to go. Since this phone cost over $ 300 I was happy to pay the warranty and get it to where it needed to be.

Moral of the story - Don't mess with the innards yourself. Take your time and don't skip any steps. Find the root cause. When I went to the T-Mobile store that was a necessary step to ensure that I hadn't somehow not followed the directions sensibly. Along the way I had to use my friends sim card to make sure that the fault was not just a bad sim card from Straight Talk. There are no short cuts but a MUCH cheaper alternative does await !!!

One caveat - make sure that your internet usage can be supported by Straight Talk. Straight Talk doesn't allow you to use their cellular phone lines to move data. This means you need to be on a hotel or home network to use the internet. If that doesn't work for you, Straight Talk is not a solution.

:):)

Last edited:

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Curious? This was what type of phone? S4? If so how was the warranty out of date? Phones carry a 1 year manufacturer warranty. If that is the case samsung just screwed you out of $70. Not to mention firmware updates can be done easily at home.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I had originally purchased the Samsung Galaxy S4 via T-Mobile with a required 2 year contract. The phone warranty was for 1 year as you stated but it had expired - I think the phone is slightly less than 2 years old now. Later I had added my husband to the account and at that time T-Mobile slipped, without telling me, another 2 years of contract commitment for us. Then the humungous monthly charges started coming. So even though the phone was pretty old in the Android world in which new models come out every 3 months, I still had a huge number of months at an really expensive rate with T-Mobile.
For those that are not too technical, it is important to let you know exactly what I got when I left T-Mobile. 1) Straight Talk does not have it's own network. [The following is a correction from an earlier post].
Depending upon where you are located (based upon zip code) and what kind of phone you have, they connect and use other mobile networks.
Straight Talk originally sent me - ironically I guess - a micro sim card that was compatible with the T-Mobile network. Not great coverage for me. I called them and they set me up with an AT&T sim card instead. When I was in Dallas for work, the At&T connection was -- Flawless!! AT&T is also super for me at home in Central Florida.
Note - if you are trying to move to Straight Talk and you are bringing your own phone, such as I was with the Samsung, you are limited to the networks that are compatible with your phone. So as a former T-Mobile customer I could only get AT&T or T-Mobile (GSM or phones that have a sim card). If I wanted to move to Verizon, I would need to buy a new phone that was compatible with Verizon (CDMA or phones that don't require a sim card). Note Straight Talk can support either one, but you can't cross over networks without the appropriately compatible phone.
2) As I mentioned earlier, with the other direct carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. you can connect to the internet without a local network by using their voice network. Straight Talk does not support this. If you really need a good way to always have a network at your disposal, you can buy a non-contract Verizon hot spot and pay $ 60.00 per month for almost unlimited data (I think it's 10 GB and you can connect up to 5 devices). Verizon has the most comprehensive coverage for wifi. If you couple that with your Straight Talk at $ 45 per month you have access to everything you need.
Samsung did more than upgrade the firmware, they actually replaced some of the major chips, etc. I think it was well worth to have the peace of mind to give them $ 70.00 to ensure that if I had additional issues switching over to Straight Talk, they would be there to repair it. I'm actually impressed with Samsung even though they didn't communicate too well regarding the warranty and almost cost me more time in sending the phone back and forth as a result.
I really don't support the tone of a lot of these technical conversations in which experienced technical people give out a lot of advice for directly messing with the phones without clearly articulating what could happen if these system steps are not followed correctly. I don't think you mess with the firmware of a $ 300 phone. And I have a Masters in Computer Science. I know this is not the popular view. Just sayin'

Last edited:

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard of a galaxy 4s. The s4 is a newer phone and the warranty wouldnt be up on any of them. As for straight talk i know all how they work. I work with their network daily. They use tmo, sprint, att and verizon towers.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow take a chill pill!!

I did not mean to imply you didn't know how Straight Talk works. This is not a private conversation between you and me.

I corrected my typo - I did mean the Galaxy S4.

Here are the gory details -
Samsung S 4G
Model number SGH-T959V
Firmware version 2.3.6

If you go to the Samsung support page for this phone (link below), the date for information / support is July 14, 2011. So clearly this is not a brand new phone.

Support - T-Mobile Cell Phones SGH-T959V | Samsung Cell Phones

According to PhoneArena (link below), the Samsung Galaxy S 4G was released on January 12, 2011. Plenty of time for my phone to be out of warranty.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Galaxy-S-4G_id5138

As a final note, I did want to answer the question from the original thread on whether or not the information on the phone - contacts, music- could be transferred. In other words, can you keep all of the information that was already on the phone when you switch to Straight Talk. I was able to do this successfully as well through a product called Wondershare MobileGo.

Note that I didn't do an extensive amount of research, nor do I have any idea whether this product is the cheapest and / or the best , but upon a short investigation it was recommended by several websites, and it did work perfectly for me.

Here is the complete process from the start:

1) First, I investigated whether Straight Talk would support my phone model. You can do this right on the Straight Talk website. They step you through it by asking about the type of phone you have right now. As a T-mobile customer I was GSM, not CDMA (they tell you how to make that distinction on the website). I followed the prompts for that particular sim card (T-mobile, micro sim as required by the particular phone model above).
As an editorial note, I think that Straight Talk is more cautious than necessary in telling people it won't work when it might. If you read the rating information on the Walmart website, you can get a lot of good feedback. A lot of them said they were told by Straight Talk it wouldn't work in their area, and went ahead anyway, and they did fine. Since the phones and phone service is so cheap, if you are worried about whether it will work, maybe buy a cheap phone and test it. When I went on today for my zip code, there is one reconditioned phone for $ 39.00 that does not require a service plan. So the total cost to test it out would be $39.00 plus $ 45.00 for first month. If it works, then you could go down the path of switching your phone number to Straight Talk with some confidence.

2) I then made sure I could unlock my phone by talking to my current provider, T-Mobile. I called them and they sent me the unlock code within 3 days as promised, as well as a set of directions on how to unlock my phone (which didn't work until I sent to Samsung for repair, see above). I had heard that others had difficulty getting the unlock code from their providers, but for me, perhaps because I had the phone for over a year already, it was not difficult.

3) Before doing anything to change my service to Straight Talk, I downloaded the Wondershare MobileGo application to both my computer and also the app to the T-Mobile Samsung. I backed up all of my data. Wondershare gives you the option to back up your data on the actual computer so you have individual files that you can see that live outside of the Wondershare application, which I liked. Wondershare has a free trial, but once you've committed your data to Wondershare, you pretty much have bought it as a product. :) They have a "one click" back up function. I personally found it pretty easy to use.

3) I wanted to switch my old phone number to Straight Talk. I bought a Straight Talk card from the website (I recommend you get one at Walmart instead, since StraightTalk ships everything signature required, which for me was a real pain as I'm not home that much due to business travel). Make sure you get the right size sim card - there are the small (micro) and the large - for your particular phone. You can tell by opening up the back of the phone to see what size your sim card is. I think the Walmart Straight Tallk sim cards include both sizes just in case, which is nice.

4) There are two keys to successfully keeping your old phone number. First is to make sure that you don't close off your old account before the switch. It has to be live and in good standing. The second is to make sure that you have your account number and pin correct for your old account. I had to call T-Mobile to get my pin. I think it is some standard like the last 4 digits of your phone number or something like that, but I can't remember. I would think this is one of the more important items to make sure you have correct - you must know your old pin / account number and be sure they are right before you switch if keeping the phone number is important to you.

5) I logged back on to Straight Talk and via the website told them I was switching my phone service. You deal with the new provider, not the old one, for the switch. I gave them my account information from T-Mobile.

6) I inserted the sim card from Straight Talk into my Samsung phone - and that's where I started earlier. :)

Once I got the working phone back from Samsung support, it was easy to plug it in to my computer, download the MobileGo onto the phone that was now on Straight Talk, and do a "one-click" restore, for all of my contacts, music, and even apps.

I would strongly recommend using some similar kind of approach for phone backup prior to doing the switch, because at multiple times in the process trying to get my phone unlocked, factory reset was the next logical troubleshooting step. Factory reset wipes out all of your data, so backing it up is a prudent precaution.

Last edited:

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was not getting rude nor was saying anything bad. If you thought that im sorry. But you did pay $70 to samsung for nothing. You couldve updated the phone yourself. Those phones are out there unlocked and new or near mint for a dime a dozen. Samsung just found a way to make a easy $70 from you.

Straight talk will throttle you after 1.5 gb. If you go over that each month they can and have terminated phones service for it. Since you paid off tmo. You couldve use other carriers like simple mobile, who is a tmo mvno. And no unlock is required. You simply put in the sim and it works.