Convince me to get a S3!!

Bballbenb

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello Android Nation,

I currently have a iPhone 4S and I am happy with it, but I always like trying out new tech and have never had a android phone before. I do use google products and like them though. I also am pretty excited for iOS 7, but I am thinking of trying out a S3. What is everyone's thoughts on them? Also does Google have a new OS coming out soon? I know jelly bean is still kinda new, but with iOS 7 due in the fall, just feel like Google will do something to match it.

thanks for all of your opinions!

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello Android Nation,

I currently have a iPhone 4S and I am happy with it, but I always like trying out new tech and have never had a android phone before. I do use google products and like them though. I also am pretty excited for iOS 7, but I am thinking of trying out a S3. What is everyone's thoughts on them? Also does Google have a new OS coming out soon? I know jelly bean is still kinda new, but with iOS 7 due in the fall, just feel like Google will do something to match it.

thanks for all of your opinions!

Yes Google will have a new version of Android that will come out probably around fall but, most likely, the GS3 won't see 4.3 or Key Lime Pie(5.0). Besides that though the GS3 is a nice phone but if you want updates to the OS like Apple does for the iPhone then get a Nexus phone or the newer GS4 which will have a better chance of receiving the latest updates.

I'm assuming you are getting a GS3 through a carrier.

Sent from my HTC One

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree, if coming from the iPhone, the Nexus with it's straight from Google updates will most likely give you the best experience. That may depend on your carrier though, since the Nexus 4 doesn't run on CDMA, which leaves you with ATT or T-Mobile to choose from.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro...

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't convince someone to buy an old phone, get an s4,note 2 or stick with ios and get an iPhone 5

No point getting a phone that it'll probably stop receiving updates in the coming future, when u can get a brand new phone that's likely to atleast get 5.0+

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

DavidsTech

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting a new high end Android smartphone if you can. The htc one or Galaxy S4 are two great smartphones. Each offer something you may like more. The Nexus 4 is great device especially at the price but with it also being over half a year old I wouldn't get it either.
Some like to say if you wait you will just wait forever since something new is always coming. It's not about waiting. It's about not getting a device over half a year old and just getting the new more powerful model instead.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes Google will have a new version of Android that will come out probably around fall but, most likely, the GS3 won't see 4.3 or Key Lime Pie(5.0). Besides that though the GS3 is a nice phone but if you want updates to the OS like Apple does for the iPhone then get a Nexus phone or the newer GS4 which will have a better chance of receiving the latest updates.

I'm assuming you are getting a GS3 through a carrier.

Sent from my HTC One

Totally disagree if the s2 has jellybean the s3 definitely is gonna c klp. How u figure it won't?????

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agree with everyone saying S4 instead of S3 if you want a Samsung device. That or the Note 2. But there are plenty of awesome non-Samsung devices too. I'd play with a lot and see what you like. They all have difference strengths, some on battery life, some on features, etc.

Also, Jelly Bean is a year old .. not sure about the perception that it's kinda new; but yes there are more updates expected this year, with the largest expected in October or November.

I fully expect the S3 to get a KLP update, approximately late summer of 2014, while I'd expect it late Spring or early Summer on the S4.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 kills the s3, from specs to price tag, you'll feel a lot happier with the Nexus

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The transition from an iPhone, to a nexus, a phone with 0 features, probably won't work our well for him

If he wants 'stock Android', he simply can disable features he doesn't want and then download a launcher

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the S3. Had the Nexus. Great phone,fragile, not a great camera. Had the HTC One. Another great phone but wasn't happy with some of the things on it. ( lack of customization on notification light is 1 thing) Just sold my iPhone 5. Great phone but smallish when used to the all the phones I've mentioned. Strobe light notification ???? and on the back ??? I picked up the Note II in the store and it was just too big for me. The GS3 "only" has a dual core processor but for my needs that's plenty. No full HD display? Again for me I don't watch a lot of videos or game so the HD display would just be a drain on the battery. The GS3 has lots of ram,great camera,perfect size,very good display and durable.

PriyankT3i

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 kills the s3, from specs to price tag, you'll feel a lot happier with the Nexus

Yes... I see you are using a NexuS 4... Both Samsung Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4 are awesome device and I would say that it totally depends upon your personal preference, so stop killing my GS3 for no reason... but any ways here goes:
No Card Slot... Pathetic Battery... Plus if your are in India LG does not have their dedicated Service Center for Mobile. All service center are third party. So I bought a Samsung GS3 to save on
my A.S.S (After Sales Service) of the device. Price difference 16GB of Nexus 4 = Rs. 25,000/- and 16GB of GS3 = 27,500/- (for only 2,500 more I get expandable memory plus a SuperAmoled HD screen plus way better Camera both front and back plus removable battery option plus better earphone bundled)

LG Nexus 4 E960 vs. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S3 - GSMArena.com

Samsung Galaxy S3 Vs Nexus 4 - Top 9 Comparison

q3xiw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That might need explaining. Other than watching your eyes or Jedi gestures, what is a Nexus not doing .. and doing faster than TouchWiz?

That's exactly it, it's a stock phone, there's nothing special about it. Coming from an iPhone to a completely stock phone may not be the experience he is looking for, not to mention that he never stated he was interested in a nexus. It seems he is only interested in the galaxy line. U may see those features as gimmicks, and I see some of them as gimmicks as well, but, what is a nexus doing that he can't get on a Samsung phone?

If he wants to stock phone, just download a stock launcher and disable the features he doesn't like

If he wants a stock phone, it takes 2 seconds to root and rom his phone.

But it's a lot easier to purchase a phone with actual features and see if he likes it first, and if he doesn't disable them, then to just buy a plain old stock phone that does nothing but deliver the stock Android experience and 'receives the latest updates' (all of which he would get buy rooting and roming)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Not to mention that unless u have a case on, I hear the back shatters when dropped

No removable battery, so unless u plan on being able to charge your phone multiple times daily, u may not get much use out of the phone depending on you usage

And as far as accessories are concerned, I'm sure there won't be anywhere near the selection as compared to the s3, due to the Nexus line lack of popularity to mainstream America in comparison to Samsung

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar