[Guide] Disabling apps on Galaxy S3 and Tab 2...No root required

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here is a guide to help those who wish to disable any of the stock apps that carriers place on our devices, for Android 4.0 and higher. The stock apps can run in the background, eat up RAM, and can overall be a headache in general, especially more so if they aren't used. The user does NOT need to have root access. This can be done out of the box.

I will be using my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as a demonstration device, but the steps are the same for the S3.

First, go into Settings, and access the Application Manager.
App%20manager%20figure%201%20(480x640).jpg

Now that that is done, swipe over to all apps. Scroll down to the app in question. For the example, I used Netflix.
App%20manager%20figure%203%20(480x640).jpg

Now, click on the app:
App%20manager%20figure%204%20(480x640).jpg

Since this app was updated, I have to uninstall the update in order to disable it.
[INFO]Note in the photo, underneath the two buttons is a check box for notifications. In this example, if this box is unchecked, Netflix will not notify me of anything.[/INFO]

App%20manager%20figure%205%20(480x640).jpg

This will revert the app back to it's original condition. After this step, you may get rerouted back to the Application list in the Application Manager.
App%20manager%20figure%206%20(480x640).jpg

App%20manager%20figure%207%20(480x640).jpg

Note that the app was exponentially cut in size. This is the indication that the uninstall was successful.
Now, click back into the app to continue:
App%20manager%20figure%208%20(480x640).jpg

This is where the actual Disable step can take place. Once at this screen click Disable to stop the app from it's activity. This action will keep it from starting until the steps are repeated to Enable the app again.
App%20manager%20figure%209%20(480x640).jpg

Click OK to continue:
App%20manager%20figure%2010%20(480x640).jpg

At this point the Disable was a success. The app is still on the device memory, but any RAM that this app was using is now available. You can now exit the Application Manager, or click back to continue the steps to another app.

To reiterate, these same steps can be done again to enable apps in the event that a disabled one causes problems.

Last edited:

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
What about the warning that disabling an app "may cause errors in other apps?"

Sounds pretty ominous, so I've always been reluctant to disable an app because of it.

Please advise. Thank you.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can always reverse the process. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the All apps list, and all your disabled apps are there. Just follow the process above and tap "enable."

But the warning really only applies to system apps. I would avoid disabling any app you don't know what it is (like all those that start with com." but disabling user apps is generally pretty safe.

It should also be noted that not all apps can be disabled this way. The disable button is grayed out for quite a few built-in apps, and you will need to root in order to disable those.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What about the warning that disabling an app "may cause errors in other apps?"

Sounds pretty ominous, so I've always been reluctant to disable an app because of it.

Please advise. Thank you.

Meyer is right in every point. Also, most of the apps I have disabled have had little impact on other apps that I have, but again, I disabled bloatware.

cgm707

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Not having to root my phone is a big relief, thanks for that tip!

I did follow your instructions, Golfdriver. Then I restarted my phone, as it seemed those apps I no longer wanted we're gone. But when I went into the Application Manager, the apps were back. I want to get rid of Google Music, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google+, Media Hub, Music Hub, Muve Music.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean by "they were back"? If they're all the way at the bottom of the list of apps in the Application manager, they should be labeled as disabled. They're still on the phone, but can't run, can't be called by another app, and can't use any resources.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not having to root my phone is a big relief, thanks for that tip!

I did follow your instructions, Golfdriver. Then I restarted my phone, as it seemed those apps I no longer wanted we're gone. But when I went into the Application Manager, the apps were back. I want to get rid of Google Music, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google+, Media Hub, Music Hub, Muve Music.

You are welcome.
Meyer is correct. This method disables, not erases. My reasoning for creating this thread is for those who do not want to root, but instead want to free up RAM for apps that they will use. The only way to eliminate these files is to root and obtain an app that will erase them. However, I highly advise against this.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97 that is about all I can do without rooting which I don't want to do at this time. I wanted to free up space, thanks I accomplished my goal and to all who assisted BIG thanks!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97 that is about all I can do without rooting which I don't want to do at this time. I wanted to free up space, thanks I accomplished my goal and to all who assisted BIG thanks!

Glad it helped.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I find the most annoying apps are ones that cannot be disabled this way. They run a *lot*, and I don't use them, which makes no sense to me. That was one of the main reasons why I rooted my phone, in addition to really being able to back things up. And, as a bonus, I've gotten my "idle" battery usage way down by using a custom ROM and kernel. It takes some time to do all these things, but I find my phone much more enjoyable to use this way.

All you need to do this stuff is to be able to follow directions, since there are lots of those out there *smile*. And be sure to make backups along the way in case you have to revert. Nandroid backups are great.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For those that want to root, that's fine. But there are plenty of people who want to stay stock, and still disable some bloatware. Having options is better that not.

From a SlimROM S3

GardenCaree

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the information on application disabling. In the past few weeks my data usage has gone up exponentially. I took my Galaxy S3 phone in to a local Verizon store and the manager went through and deleted various applications. However, the data usage is still higher than I believe it should be. I live in a remote area and have to use a booster to keep my calls from dropping or voice mails and texting from being delayed (sometimes by several days of my receiving them) and of course to have better internet coverage. The Verizon store manager said that should not affect my data usage. When I had a MIFI I could easily stay between 5 and 10 GB per month with hours of scientific research on the internet every day. Now that I am using my Smartphone as a hotspot instead of a MIFI my data usage quickly passes 10 GB. This last month I had to up my allowable data to 20 GB! I do not play games. I use my laptop to do my internet searches and the downloads are typically word or PDF files (research articles).I have disabled my startpage programs that run in Windows 8. I am reaching out in every direction trying to think of what could be using so much data? I have several text messaging threads I keep on my phone because of multiple projects I am working on, could that be using data? Also, I have used my smartphone to take photos and have many photos or downloaded photos in storage, could that be using data? Does it use more data reading email on a Smartphone versus using the smartphone as a hotspot and reading it on my laptop? I have several thousand emails I must keep until a project is completed, does that use up excess data? I apologize for all the questions, but I am very frustrated because it seems since I switched from a MIFI to using my Smartphone as a hotspot for internet my data usage has gotten out of control. My Settings application says it uses 77 MB. Is there a list available somewhere that explains what all the applications are used for and whether they are necessary for the phone to function or a "main process in use"? Thank you for any help.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the information on application disabling. In the past few weeks my data usage has gone up exponentially. I took my Galaxy S3 phone in to a local Verizon store and the manager went through and deleted various applications. However, the data usage is still higher than I believe it should be. I live in a remote area and have to use a booster to keep my calls from dropping or voice mails and texting from being delayed (sometimes by several days of my receiving them) and of course to have better internet coverage. The Verizon store manager said that should not affect my data usage. When I had a MIFI I could easily stay between 5 and 10 GB per month with hours of scientific research on the internet every day. Now that I am using my Smartphone as a hotspot instead of a MIFI my data usage quickly passes 10 GB. This last month I had to up my allowable data to 20 GB! I do not play games. I use my laptop to do my internet searches and the downloads are typically word or PDF files (research articles).I have disabled my startpage programs that run in Windows 8. I am reaching out in every direction trying to think of what could be using so much data? I have several text messaging threads I keep on my phone because of multiple projects I am working on, could that be using data? Also, I have used my smartphone to take photos and have many photos or downloaded photos in storage, could that be using data? Does it use more data reading email on a Smartphone versus using the smartphone as a hotspot and reading it on my laptop? I have several thousand emails I must keep until a project is completed, does that use up excess data? I apologize for all the questions, but I am very frustrated because it seems since I switched from a MIFI to using my Smartphone as a hotspot for internet my data usage has gotten out of control. My Settings application says it uses 77 MB. Is there a list available somewhere that explains what all the applications are used for and whether they are necessary for the phone to function or a "main process in use"? Thank you for any help.

Emails might actually use less data on a smartphone than a PC.
I do know your phone measures data differently from any carrier.

Perhaps turning your phone off at night may help?
Or another internet alternative as a better solution?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Seun Bollinger

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the Samsung galaxy s3 through sprint but now I have straight talk. Every time I try do download a hotspots app it won't let me use it because I'm not subscribed to sprint hotspots. Is there any way around this. PLEASE HELP!!

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the Samsung galaxy s3 through sprint but now I have straight talk. Every time I try do download a hotspots app it won't let me use it because I'm not subscribed to sprint hotspots. Is there any way around this. PLEASE HELP!!

Posted via Android Central App

Not that I am aware of. Sorry.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

Acoustikarl

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for providing this tutorial. I'm not sure if it is a change with KitKat 4.4.2 on a Galaxy S3 but it now says 'turn on' and 'turn off' instead of enable disable. I had two apps that wanted to update but I don't use them and never intend to (Mobile TV and Beats Music). The warning message was putting me off, though. Now that I've turned them off the update request went away. YAY!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for providing this tutorial. I'm not sure if it is a change with KitKat 4.4.2 on a Galaxy S3 but it now says 'turn on' and 'turn off' instead of enable disable. I had two apps that wanted to update but I don't use them and never intend to (Mobile TV and Beats Music). The warning message was putting me off, though. Now that I've turned them off the update request went away. YAY!

Welcome to the forums. I am glad it helped.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

1rainbowdash7

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Someone accidentally disabled something on my Samsung Galaxy s3, I do not know what he disabled (My friend was playing around) now I cannot access the google play store. Please Help!!! :( :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2