Issue with Galaxy S3

Jon Curry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm becoming somewhat agitated with my Samsung Galaxy S3, as of tonight, every time my phone either times out, or I hit the power button to shut off the display, when I try to turn the display back on, it's unresponsive. The phone is still definitely on, I receive texts, the LED flashes, and the back and settings button still illuminate. I've had to rely on keeping my display on for 10 minutes just to insure I am able to use my phone. The only fix is to take out the battery and put it back in, in turn restarting the phone. I have restored factory defaults, whiped the cache, and there are and were no new apps installed on my phone that could have made this occur. Phone is in excellent condition, hasn't been dropped, there is only one very, very miniscule scratch on the bottom right of the display, this happened back in around December when I first got the phone, hasn't been an issue since. The screen works fine, there are no marks, scratches, cracks, and it is completely responsive, same with the Power buttons, home buttons, volume rockers, etc. It only happens when i turn off the display. Does anyone happen to know what the deal is? I'm on the newest OS for sure, and I'm under AT&T, I haven't had the phone over a year, so if I end up having to have it replaced will it be a ridiculous amount on my part?

I'm on OS version 4.1.1

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm becoming somewhat agitated with my Samsung Galaxy S3, as of tonight, every time my phone either times out, or I hit the power button to shut off the display, when I try to turn the display back on, it's unresponsive. The phone is still definitely on, I receive texts, the LED flashes, and the back and settings button still illuminate. I've had to rely on keeping my display on for 10 minutes just to insure I am able to use my phone. The only fix is to take out the battery and put it back in, in turn restarting the phone. I have restored factory defaults, whiped the cache, and there are and were no new apps installed on my phone that could have made this occur. Phone is in excellent condition, hasn't been dropped, there is only one very, very miniscule scratch on the bottom right of the display, this happened back in around December when I first got the phone, hasn't been an issue since. The screen works fine, there are no marks, scratches, cracks, and it is completely responsive, same with the Power buttons, home buttons, volume rockers, etc. It only happens when i turn off the display. Does anyone happen to know what the deal is? I'm on the newest OS for sure, and I'm under AT&T, I haven't had the phone over a year, so if I end up having to have it replaced will it be a ridiculous amount on my part?

I'm on OS version 4.1.1

Welcome to the forums!
When you wiped the cache, what method did you use?

Jon Curry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I held down Volume Up + Power + Home, and then selected the option for wiping the cache there. It only took a few seconds, the phone rebooted, and it was to no avail. Right now I am using an app that keeps my display on constantly, which I don't want to keep having to do. Thanks for the welcome!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I held down Volume Up + Power + Home, and then selected the option for wiping the cache there. It only took a few seconds, the phone rebooted, and it was to no avail. Right now I am using an app that keeps my display on constantly, which I don't want to keep having to do. Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry it isn't under better circumstances....You have done everything that I would have suggested to try. I am led to believe that the problem is physically in the power button. However, you should be able to wake the device with Home.

Jon Curry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Home isn't seeming to work either. The display just refuses to turn back on altogether now it seems. I see the samsung logo and that is it.

Jon Curry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I left it plugged in the charger for a while, it's been 75-88 percent all evening, I picked it up and tried hitting the power button and the display turned on again, now I'm too afraid to turn it off, or anything. I don't understand, it works sometimes and then other times it just doesn't at all. So it isn't anything software?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I left it plugged in the charger for a while, it's been 75-88 percent all evening, I picked it up and tried hitting the power button and the display turned on again, now I'm too afraid to turn it off, or anything. I don't understand, it works sometimes and then other times it just doesn't at all. So it isn't anything software?

I am not inclined to think so. Always possible. Did you get any new updates?

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't happen to have Chrome installed, do you? I remember reading a bunch of posts about black screen issues, and they ended up root causing the problem to Chrome - once it was uninstalled and the phone was restarted the problem went away.

You may want to check the two separate settings for screen lock behavior, just to be sure everything is set correctly. One controls how long the screen can be on before it'll turn the screen off (Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout) and the other controls how long the screen can be off before it'll lock the phone (Settings -> Lock screen -> Lock automatically).

Do you have Settings -> Lock screen -> Lock instantly with power key enabled?

Finally, you didn't just happen to add a screen protector or new case, did you?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Jon Curry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Checked all of those, and yes, I did here recently. And it went on fine, but I took it off when this started happening because I was afraid it had something to do with it.

I don't have Settings > Lock Screen > Set power

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance