Galaxy S3 dropped - broken screen and digitizer?

Charles Tucker440

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
that could have been the end result, but I did try to separate them in stages well before it got as hot as it did, so I'd have to go with probably not.... of course, just guessing

Lana Lane1

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I broke my screen today, right below the home button, there's a few hairline cracks and a small chip of glass has fallen out and now there's a hole..
But the home button, lcd and everything are working normally, it's just the crack.
How much would it cost to get the glass replaced? I heard getting the lcd and digitizer replaced costs at min $200, but since those aren't broken :\
I really need to get it fixed ASAP before my parents find out
And I also don't know how it broke.. I didn't drop it :p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that the LED, digitizer, and glass are all glued together, and it is apparently (I've never tried) very difficult to separate and reassemble them without causing further damage. A few people have posted here that they had that repair done, and the digitizer never really worked correctly afterwards.

As far as how much it costs, I'm afraid I don't know. You'll have to call around to some phone repair shops, I guess.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I heard getting the lcd and digitizer replaced costs at min $200
The going rate for a complete screen assembly is about $130
http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

As the previous poster mentioned, trying to replace just the glass (the outermost layer) is hit or miss - you can find videos online showing you how to do it, so obviously it's possible, but I've never had luck with that sort of thing. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S3 ,I dropped my phone and now I cannot see anything. Just a white screen with purple,black,green lines. But before it blank out it wasn't recognizing my finger touch. Any idea on how or what to repair. I want to save my phone so I can backup all my data.

Screen is got a small crack on the lower right part of the screen
-the colors are all messed up
-cant press anything
-can be turned on and can hear the starting sound
-can still receive calls and text

Please help...

Leigh_Marie

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
so i dropped my galaxy s4 and cracked the screen. Everything still works so fine, so would i need a new glass screen or still would i need a new digitizer screen

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Everything still works so fine
If everything still works fine I guess you don't need either, unless you just don't like the cracked glass staring back at you, in which case you could try to replace the glass.

I must warn you that the likelihood is pretty high that in trying to replace the glass you'll end up damaging the digitizer or the AMOLED display - I normally suggest that people replace the complete screen assembly. Here are a couple of sources for replacement screen assemblies (these links are for the S3 - you may be able to find the S4 also):

http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

finch104

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I've got sort of the same problem I dropped my phone and the screen is cracked it is not displaying anything on the screen however I can still answer phone calls and receive messages do I need to replace just the screen or digitiser as well?? Please help image.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
do I need to replace just the screen or digitiser as well?
Did you read posts #18, #19 & #23? You need to replace the complete screen assembly.

Cassie Weatherspoon

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I need help also. I dropped my phone earlier today and it hit a million things on the way down. I didnt think anything of it and when I went to look at it because I heard a notification the screen was black and wouldn't turn on. Although I was able to turn it off and on, which was noticeable by the little light at the top and by the sounds, I assumed it just needed to be charged. Soon after I realized something was wrong, I gave it to my husband and he replaced the screen because he assumed that was the issue. We keep a few handy because we have had small cracks here and there. Once he removed the screen the silver "thing?" under the screen had a couple dents in it. He went ahead and put the screen on and I did not help. It now just looks silver not black. I can not use any of the touch functions but It has received calls that I cannot answer, notifications, and texts. I just cant see them nor can I even work the touch screen. What do I need to replace, if its able to be fixed? Thanks for your time :)

Alkeria Keys

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S3 dropped - broken screen and black

Hey so my screen is severely cracked and will come but the screen is totally black....and I was wondering will it work again if I get the screen fixed or buy a whole new phone??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 dropped - broken screen and black

Welcome to the forums!
Hey so my screen is severely cracked and will come but the screen is totally black....and I was wondering will it work again if I get the screen fixed or buy a whole new phone?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'and will come', or what led to the screen being all black, or if it makes any of the normal sounds when you're turning it on. Depending on your answers it may be that all you need is to replace the complete screen assembly.

It may be a better investment to put that money towards a newer model phone (Nexus 5; Moto X or Moto G)...