Wireless/Inductive Charging will NOT work!!

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

I am an old Palm Pre user, and bought a Galaxy S3 SPECIFICALLY because you could hack it with wireless charging using the Palm Touchstone. I have a bunch of touchstones all over the house in my car, and didn't want to give this awesome feature up.

However, upon purchasing the phone with an optional wireless charging back cover, the phone WILL NOT charge with the wireless charing back cover.

Heres the fun part: i tried the same wireless charging back cover on my friends Galaxy S3 and it works great.

My S3 is refurbished, and to be honest I was a bit confused as the phone came with a very basic version of Android. There were no apps installed, I even had to download the Google Maps and Google Voice Activation. I assumed that came standard.

Of course, I buy a refurbished phone and the ONE...ONE thing that doesnt work is the one thing I bought it for. Le Sigh....

Can anyone offer any tips, help before I return this thing, If they will let me return it.

Maybe I am just not realizing I need to change a setting on the phone or something.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try the battery from your friend's S3 in your phone? I'm guessing that there's something odd going on with the battery you got in your refurb.

Regarding all the other stuff that you're inquiring about:
- what model/carrier/firmware do you have?
- have you tried to perform a software update yet?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
They gave me two batteries with the refurb luckily.

I just tried the other battery at your request, did not work.

I am updating the firmware to 4.2.2 as we speak.

I do not have my SIM card in the phone yet, as I need to get a microSIM, will this have an effect on the phone?

Will things not work without the SIM that isnt related to carrier/data?

I assumed everything will work normally except SIM related stuff, but maybe not having a SIM card is doing this??

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Heh heh - yeah, no SIM = no activation = no software updates.

Are these batteries genuine Samsung batteries with NFC?

If you hadn't mentioned that it worked on your friend's S3, I would have thought that you got a charging back that supported the Qi standard, rather than your Touchstone charger.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
not only does the charging back work with my friends, but when I place the charging back on the Touchstone by itself, and use a volt meter connected to the two leads on the back cover that connect to the phone, I get a voltage reading.

So the back cover is absolutely working with the Touchstone.

Oh and they are Samsung Batteries

They say Samsung in big letters on them

installed SIM card, wireless charging still does not work

Yes I know, I have purchased a Touchstone Compatible charging back from here:

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger Charging Set for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, Marble White Back Cover + Touch Stone Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

- - - Updated - - -

Not all models of the S3 are set up for wireless charging without modification. For using the Palm Toucstone >Samsung Galaxy S3 wireless charging from the Palm Touchstone - YouTube.

Yes I know, I have bought a compatible Touchstone charging back from here

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2904879

So far the device wont work on a wireless charger, the Magnetic Compass is broken, and the device will not connect to Kies or Odin on 2 different computers when my friends S3 will do all of these things on all of these devices.

Something tells me this device is a lemon.

There are red marks on the inside of the unit, was it possible this was a water damaged unit?

my phone is in "Factory Mode".... is this the problem? How do I get it out of "Factory mode"

When I power up my phone into Recovery Mode, instead of getting the recovery mode that I see online, I get this:

fWhSLg2.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Something tells me this device is a lemon.

There are red marks on the inside of the unit, was it possible this was a water damaged unit?
I'd agree with your assessment that your device is a lemon: the compass isn't working; the wireless charging back doesn't work; looks like you have some kind of Factory diagnostic firmware on there rather than the stock firmware (that's certainly not the standard Recovery mode screen).

It is normal, however, to have a red-on-white crosshatch patch on the inside of the battery compartment, right next to the 4 pins where the battery makes contact with the phone. There should also be a similar crosshatch pattern on the battery itself, usually on the lower edge but on the end away from where the contacts are (if that makes sense).

Hopefully you bought that POS from somewhere that you can get a refund/replacement.

Oh, and make a Nandroid of that Factory Diagnostic firmware before you send it back. ;-)
Edit: feel free to send me one of those extra Touchstone chargers to test with :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Is your friend's S4 on Verizon? Is yours? I believe only Verizon S3s have the contacts in the phone to connect to the charging back. Non-verizon phones need to be modified, I think, to connect the terminals on the back to the battery.

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I am from Canada

the one I bought is an unlocked International I-9300 S3

My friends is a Bell Mobility Galaxy S3

Is your friend's S4 on Verizon? Is yours? I believe only Verizon S3s have the contacts in the phone to connect to the charging back. Non-verizon phones need to be modified, I think, to connect the terminals on the back to the battery.

From what I have observed, the Verizon phones removed the typical charging contacts, and had their own special contacts added in a different place, so that people could only buy the proprietary Verizon charging back

This is what I bought and it does say specifically:

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger Charging Set for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, Marble White Back Cover + Touch Stone Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

Works with ALL Galaxy S3, ALL carrier versions including: I747 (AT&T), I535 (Verizon), T999 (T-Mobile), I9305 (2GB RAM Version)

They are letting me return it, so I am going to try one more refurb before I call it quits and buy a new one.

I might be back haha :p I hope not.

Unfortunately I cannot get the device to connect to a computer with USB so I cannot really grab the Android version on it.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This is very topical because I just bought the 'Pixi kit' and a spare back cover on Amazon.
(Edit; the Pixi - as opposed to the Pre- has the antenna's polarity in the correct orientation)
Amazon.com : Palm Touchstone Charging Dock with Home Travel Charger and Black Inductive Back Cover for Palm Pixi Palm Pixi Plus : Electronics

Meyerweb,
My Sprint phone most assuredly has the charging terminals next to the battery. (even if it doesn't have a SIM slot.)
I wish Samsung had come out with Qi for this phone, but this is going to be my low cost alternative...
I have purchased factory Samsung 2A chargers for car and home, but after replacing TOO many charging & USB ports on portable electronics I hope to avoid constantly plugging my phone in.

It would be nice if the NFC still works with the antenna in place over the battery.
Then I can set it on my nightstand to charge and have it go silent and set the alarm.

Last edited:

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This is very topical because I just bought the 'Pixi kit' and a spare back cover on Amazon.
(Edit; the Pixi - as opposed to the Pre- has the antenna's polarity in the correct orientation)
Amazon.com : Palm Touchstone Charging Dock with Home Travel Charger and Black Inductive Back Cover for Palm Pixi Palm Pixi Plus : Electronics

Meyerweb,
My Sprint phone most assuredly has the charging terminals next to the battery. (even if it doesn't have a SIM slot.)
I wish Samsung had come out with Qi for this phone, but this is going to be my low cost alternative...
I have purchased factory Samsung 2A chargers for car and home, but after replacing TOO many charging & USB ports on portable electronics I hope to avoid constantly plugging my phone in.

It would be nice if the NFC still works with the antenna in place over the battery.
Then I can set it on my nightstand to charge and have it go silent and set the alarm.

Thats odd, because the charging back I bought premade advertises that NFC will still work...

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thats odd, because the charging back I bought premade advertises that NFC will still work...
I'm wondering if they will both work at the same time.
i.e., can I put an NFC tag on the charging base, or will the inductive coil signal interfere with the NFC signal?

I'm thinking of getting an HPTouch tablet base to use as a "pad"
NFC operates at 13.56 Mhz and the Touchstone is at 133Khz with an antenna resonance of 3.105 Mhz.

Sorry to hear you were stuck with a bum phone. :(
I've had mine for a week or so and am really enjoying experimenting with it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"I wonder if this NFC tag will work if I put it in the microwave?" :p
(The darn smilies haven't been working correctly in this latest update to Tapatalk 4)
Just being silly, but I'd think it would be asking for trouble by putting an NFC tag on the charging base. No theory to back it up; just a gut feeling.
Let us know how it goes, once the smoke clears ;-)

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I intend to GSDer!
Looking at the 5th picture in the first post of the XDA 5min hack thread, it seems Android94301 is up to the same thing I am.
http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach.../7/0/6/5/9/5/Charger_with_magnets_and_nfc.jpg

The NFC antenna is in the battery.
The Pixi Touchstone antenna can be mounted down at the bottom of the case, behind the SIII logo.

The charging frequency is pretty low and limited to 5W
Even the NFC/RFID (ISM) frequency is not nearly that high.

I will start my own thread when it all gets here.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude