Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Angry Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

I have a Droid Razr and tonight both Maps and Navigation icons disappeared and the new Google Maps was under the Apps. The Navigation component of the new Maps version is horrible! I use my phone all of the time for getting around since I don't have a navigation system in my car, so what were they thinking when they put turn-by-turn directions in a light gray font on a white background!! CRAZY!! How the heck can you see the printed screen in broad daylight on a sunny day!! I uninstalled the update -- went to Settings/Maps/Uninstall Updates -- and got back the old Navigation app with the blue arrow icon, but still have the new Google Maps, which I have no choice but to live with since I can't get the old Maps back.

BTW, when I got the old version of Navigation back, all my Destinations were gone! UGH!! Another bummer! Not happy at all!

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Default Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

I for one am loving the new Maps and navigation. No bugs whatsoever!

I am also on the newest v7.0.1 but still have the navigation app icon and can open navigation with it. I have a Galaxy Nexus, seems like the last two Nexus phones it is still working.

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    How do I get back the old maps and navigation?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Here is the "old" maps ..... for those who want it back ....

... telekinectically tapping, tenaciously traversing the terrain...
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Thank you for this.

The new maps I could tolerate, the navigation they gotta work on. That beta is not ready for prime time yet.

It crashes every time I use it, whereas the other did not. Little things like not offering an alternative route easily. Forgetduhboutit

Quote Originally Posted by lawliz View Post
    I have a Droid Razr and tonight both Maps and Navigation icons disappeared and the new Google Maps was under the Apps. The Navigation component of the new Maps version is horrible! I use my phone all of the time for getting around since I don't have a navigation system in my car, so what were they thinking when they put turn-by-turn directions in a light gray font on a white background!! CRAZY!! How the heck can you see the printed screen in broad daylight on a sunny day!! I uninstalled the update -- went to Settings/Maps/Uninstall Updates -- and got back the old Navigation app with the blue arrow icon, but still have the new Google Maps, which I have no choice but to live with since I can't get the old Maps back.

BTW, when I got the old version of Navigation back, all my Destinations were gone! UGH!! Another bummer! Not happy at all!

I figured this might be the case, but I lost the ability to speak my directions rather than type them, and none of my favorites (or previous locations from before) display? Any way to get back the google talk feature and the previous locations?
    jeanbe#AC likes this.

Thank you very much I lost my Navigation (Blue Arrow) yesterday and couldn't figure out how or why. I just unistalled updates and got it back. It is the best Navigation system and I use it all the time. I have a GPS that I bought years back and have only used my phone. Thank you once again, two days I have been searching the internet for an answer.

great fix, great info, much appreciated

It seems like there's a bit of a learning curve when trying to figure out what's changed in the latest version of Google Maps. I found a good article on some of the changes here:

Thanked by:

The Google Now voice search isn't doing it for me. I just get search results as if I Googled that destination address.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The easiest way to use navigation, for me, is through Google Now. I just say "navigate to ....address...." and away I go. Even cleaner than the separate app icon. Occasionally it won't understand everything I say, and I just type the address into gNow.
    I'm starting to see an unpleasant trend with Google. They update software and the result is less than what they're updating.
    Last edited by Irony58; 07-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Quote Originally Posted by Irony58 View Post
    The Google Now voice search isn't doing it for me. I just get search results as if I Googled that destination address.

I'm starting to see an unpleasant trend with Google. They update software and the result is less than what they're updating.

Indeed!!!!

... telekinectically tapping, tenaciously traversing the terrain...
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....

I say "Google.....navigate to address" or "navigate to place name" (e.g., Hyatt hotel Jacksonville, FL or Morton's restaurant Washington, DC). Works almost every time. The key is to say "navigate to." If you just say "Morton's Restaurant" it's going to do a Google search.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Hi there

Why they messed with perfectly good apps is beyond me. My blue arrow is gone, too. I thought this was the best navigation system I had ever tried. My wife has new Garmins every year that were not quite as accurate. Now, we have to use the not so user friendly google maps app. The blue arrow returns but I do think like it. Are there any other type of apps that are useful?

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

This works perfectly. I use it now.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I say Google.....navigate to address" or "navigate to place name" (e.g., Hyatt hotel Jacksonville, FL or Morton's restaurant Washington, DC). Works almost every time. The key is to say "navigate to." If you just say "Morton's Restaurant" it's going to do a Google search.

I really liked the feature in Navigation where you could have the map following you without a destination set. Does anyone know if this is still available and I'm just missing it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Very important to me in the old Blue Arrow Navigation by Google, was the ability to choose alternate routes.

How do you ask it to show you alternate routes in Google Maps directions?

Edit - I needed to add "Google" to start the phrase, as in "Google, navigate to ...". That will work, but maybe only 75% of the time. With all the proper names in street names, the voice search isn't perfect.

No, I am saying "navigate to ..." and it transcribes correctly. But then it just does a Google search.
    Last edited by Irony58; 07-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

It pops up but I can't get it to come up consistently. That is driving me nuts. I need the alt routes.

I'm in real estate and I drive around all day. I need this fixed!

If you figure out a way please report back.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by koam View Post
    Very important to me in the old Blue Arrow Navigation by Google, was the ability to choose alternate routes.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

It's missing the street or name. If you say it properly it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony58 View Post
    No, I am saying "navigate to ..." and it transcribes correctly. But then it just does a Google search.

Sunil Gajra likes this.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I figured it out. It's on the location (start screen). If you come in Google now you will miss that screen as it starts navigating automatically.

Just go back to that screen where you would manually enter the address and then wait and it shows you the options.

Quote Originally Posted by koam View Post

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehillbilly View Post
    Has anyone tried the now integrated navigation ? ..... is it at least comparable to the "old" navigation ? (As far as accuracy, speed getting a location lock, etc)

.... telekinectically tapped ....
    I actually think it seems a little bit snappier. Took some getting used to from the old one, but it isn't that far off from where it was. It was a little frustrating trying to figure out Howe to enter the destination but once I got that down it wasn't too bad.

sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 with Tapatalk 4

This works perfectly, thanks!!!! I used the "new and improved" app this weekend and it was horrible! The original nav, in my opinon, was the most accurate in describing traffic. The new app didn't even offer that option. I was stuck in traffic for 5 hours, not knowing that other routes were clear. Message to Google: stop messing with tried and true, please?!?!

It worked, thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like people rely on Navigation way too much and need to learn how to read and use a map again. I use directions on Google map all the time when I'm headed to some place I have never been or maybe just been there once or twice. I just like looking at the over head map better then Navigation. But to be stuck somewhere in traffic etc because it doesn't show other routes is just crazy to me. Open up the map and turn on the traffic and figure it out for yourself. It really isn't that hard. This is not bashing anybody just some advice.

I uninstalled the updates & I'm good to go. Thank You!
    This update seems like an epic fail similar to "New Coke". The wonderful blue arrow will become "Nav Classic" like "Coca-Cola Classic".
    If they don't fix this, iPhone users will be stuck using their own mapping apps!
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast