Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Default Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Sounds like people rely on Navigation way too much and need to learn how to read and use a map again.
    You might be right, but I suspect today's school kids will be the last generation where most people learn how to read road maps. Maybe not even this crop of elementary school kids.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

actually go into google maps and in the upper right of the search bar is an arrow touch it it will take you to something more familiar then go from there is not as bad as i thought though missing the blue arrow scared the crap out of me but its just a logo
    of course with google being a bunch of Spying Nazis use at your own discretion

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CCM727 View Post
    This works perfectly, thanks!!!! I used the "new and improved" app this weekend and it was horrible! The original nav, in my opinon, was the most accurate in describing traffic. The new app didn't even offer that option. I was stuck in traffic for 5 hours, not knowing that other routes were clear. Message to Google: stop messing with tried and true, please?!?!
    Same problem I have. The traffic doesn't seem to be as clear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    I for one am loving the new Maps and navigation. No bugs whatsoever!
    Works fine if you enter an address and navigate directly to it. However, if you just want to see where you're at as you drive, like a Garmin, it won't do that right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

I complained above about the navigation under the updated Google Maps app. So I uninstalled Maps and returned the app to the factory-installed version on my Droid Razr. I got my blue Navigation arrow and old Maps back (Hooray!), but within a couple of hours, Google updated me again. I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the old version 10 times! How can I stop the updates? I can't find an option for that under System Settings/Apps/Maps. Is there another way to stop the updates?

Quote Originally Posted by lawliz View Post
    I complained above about the navigation under the updated Google Maps app. So I uninstalled Maps and returned the app to the factory-installed version on my Droid Razr. I got my blue Navigation arrow and old Maps back (Hooray!), but within a couple of hours, Google updated me again. I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the old version 10 times! How can I stop the updates? I can't find an option for that under System Settings/Apps/Maps. Is there another way to stop the updates?
    You have to turn off automatic updates in your Google play store settings.

Tapatalk mofo

There is no such option under the Google Play Store for the Google Maps app. I tried that, and even looked under Google Maps under the Manage Apps. All I can do is Uninstall the Update or Disable the app. I cannot find any option -- as there are in so many other apps -- to turnoff auto updates. So, now what?

ROM
    WOLFPACK V3.3

It's actually together with maps now. There is an arrow at top of maps application when u first start it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

There is no such option under the Google Play Store for the Google Maps app. I tried that, and even looked under Google Maps under the Manage Apps. All I can do is Uninstall the Update or Disable the app. I cannot find any option -- as there are in so many other apps -- to turnoff auto updates. So, now what?
    Load Play Store. Hit menu and select settings. In the settings screen change the auto update setting. Maps will stop auto updating then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Go to Play Store hit the menu button

Hit settings, second one down is auto update apps, hit it

Now pick do not auto update

Tapatalk mofo
    Thanked by:
    L.R.S. 

I didn't realize that the Navigation app was gone until I saw this thread. I used the a Google Maps app over the weekend to get to a party and it worked well. I like the new look so no complaints here. It actually makes sense for them to integrate the two apps. I always wondered why they were separate in the first place.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    TheLibertarian likes this.

I experienced the same thing. It no longer lets you either speak or type the desired location and doesn't pick up recent addresses. And when I try to enter an address, it tells me I have no network connection.

This was very helpful. Thank you.

Sounds like people rely on Navigation way too much and need to learn how to read and use a map again. I use directions on Google map all the time when I'm headed to some place I have never been or maybe just been there once or twice. I just like looking at the over head map better then Navigation. But to be stuck somewhere in traffic etc because it doesn't show other routes is just crazy to me. Open up the map and turn on the traffic and figure it out for yourself. It really isn't that hard. This is not bashing anybody just some advice.
    You're right, I'm going to look for my paper maps right now.
    I think I keep them in the same drawer as my Buggy Whips, and Blinders.

They think texting while driving is dangerous,
    I remember trying to keep up with a paper map, especially in a busy city with poorly marked streets.
    Where are you, and which street is the turn you're looking for.
    I spent an hour or more every night writing directions for the next days service calls.

I spent 30 years navigating 20 or so stops a day with a collection of map books at $25 apiece or more.
    After the first day I used a GPS, I threw all the maps into the trash.

The really old maps make nice wall decorations.

Sent from my M470BSA
    CatB, GBH2 and johnthehillbilly like this.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

+1 on this

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Vieux View Post

I remember trying to keep up with a paper map, especially in a busy city with poorly marked streets.
    I spent an hour or more every night writing directions for the next days service calls.

I spent 30 years navigating 20 or so stops a day with a collection of map books at $25 apiece or more.

Sent from my M470BSA

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    Works fine if you enter an address and navigate directly to it. However, if you just want to see where you're at as you drive, like a Garmin, it won't do that right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app
    That's the feature I spoke of in my earlier post, just didn't know how to describe it. I loved that and I certainly hope that they bring it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the tip. Uninstalled maps and factory nav returned.

Legend!!!

Sent from my M470BSA
    Google maps on your phone, not paper maps LOL.

Google maps on your phone, not paper maps LOL.

I guess my reading comprehension is slipping, sorry.

Sent from my M470BSA

I guess my reading comprehension is slipping, sorry.

Sent from my M470BSA
    No problem, I used to buy Key Maps new book every year. It was a life saver back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I didn't realize that the Navigation app was gone until I saw this thread. I used the a Google Maps app over the weekend to get to a party and it worked well. I like the new look so no complaints here. It actually makes sense for them to integrate the two apps. I always wondered why they were separate in the first place.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    Sigh. As has been said multiple times in this thread, there were never two separate apps. You could always access nav through the maps app. The Nav icon was just an alternative entry point into the Maps app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sigh. As has been said multiple times in this thread, there were never two separate apps. You could always access nav through the maps app. The Nav icon was just an alternative entry point into the Maps app.
    I realized that.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Both icons are still there on my Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4

My Navigation App disappeared from my Galaxy S3 as well! I am quite bummed out about this since I am going on a 5 day road trip and am leaving tomorrow....
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast