Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Why do people keep complaining about Navigation being GONE?

Just enter where you want to go in the Google Maps search bar... then click the little icon of a carwith the estimated time uunderneath... and that's it! Navigation comes up and sends you were you want to go.

Am I missing something here??? I don't understand all these posts about Navigation being "missing" from the latest Google Maps.
    Right? Navigation isn't gone, only the shortcut from the app drawer for it.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Exclamation Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Actually, the navigation app was a separate app in itself, just like the Places app...it was not an entry point into the navigation. Yes they are all linked together, but why remove an app that is the most benificial Google maps takes you through many more steps to start navigation, and it is very inaccurate. I have never had a problem with using navigation (meaning I always get to where I need to go). Navigation through Google Maps is much more tedious, and does not give me reliable real-time directions, as the Navigation app did. I KNOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BETA APP, but there was never a problem until this update. I could go to navigation, type or speak a location, address, or intersection, and get there. Now, Google Maps provides the weirdest directions, and sometimes cannot determine where you are, constantly rerouting you to streets that are no where near you.

I'll try to uninstall this update like a previous user stated, and see if it works.

LG Spectrum II

I uninstalled Google map updates, but my Blue navigation arrow still has not returned. Is there another app that I would need to uninstall updates to ?

Thanks for any info.

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Quote Originally Posted by lem6611 View Post
    I uninstalled Google map updates, but my Blue navigation arrow still has not returned. Is there another app that I would need to uninstall updates to ?

Thanks for any info.
    If you are rooted, w/custom recovery, go into recovery and wipe/clear cache and/or dalvik cache..... reboot

If not rooted.... go into stock recovery... clear cache..... reboot....

... telekinectically tapping, tenaciously traversing the terrain...
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....

I updated and my navigation app disappeared as well. I tried to uninstall the updates to retrieve the app but that did not work. The new integrated version with google maps is not comparable to the old navigation. So I went to the playstore and downloaded Scout Navigation. There are three or four different navigation apps that are free so I've been trying them out. So far I like Scout the best.

It's just going to take some time for people to get used to the new features. I had read quite a while ago that there were changes coming so no surprise. We have to be prepared for change in life and not rely on one source for something. Play with it before you need it and maybe it won't be so bad.
    crester likes this.

I am having the hardest time finding the "uninstall updates" option. Can you please post a step by step way to get to this?

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Jesus Christ... THE NAVIGATION APP HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED... IT'S JUST NOW ACCESSED THRU GOOGLE MAPS. BEFORE THERE WAS AN ICON THAT WAS A SHORT CUT TO IT... BUT NOW INSTEAD OF CLICKING THE NAVIGATION ICON... CLICK GOOGLE MAPS. IT'S THE SAME THING!
    Thanked by:
    mssca likes this.

Yes this happened to me to two days ago. I had just begun using it and absolutely love the turn be turn style. I can't find it, a replacement, ofr any thing lik it...any suggestions? I've got the HTC Droid DNA.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Offending posts have been deleted. Please be courteous in your sharing of information. Thanks.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Last edited by Jennifer Stough; 07-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Michael Vieux likes this.

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm not sure how the new process is harder than the old process:

Old Process:
    5 Steps

Open Navigation Icon > Press Search Bar > Press Voice Button > Speak Address > Click Navigate.

New Process:
    3 Steps

Open Google Now > Say, "Google! Navigate to (Speak Address) > Click Navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    As you illustrate, I don't think it's harder but just...different. I've been messing with the new Maps on and off today and I really like it despite my initial doubts. The look and feel integrates well with the new desktop version of Maps, which I guess was the whole idea.

if you lost navigation app from your s3, pl go to setting and uninstalled the map update, then you will get it back both Local & Navigation.

Hello I have a Samsung note2. I have the same issue.
    I have the icon but turned into a weird look and it locks up
    And says beta and program has stopped. It doesn't even work
    Anymore.
    How do I undo update on this phone. I didn't see maps in settings. Please help. Thanks

Been trying to use the new Maps/Navigation. When I try to use the microphone icon to input a destination the new App CRASHES every time.
    Also, I am not seeing an icon or menu choice to use my google contacts as a destination.
    Obviously, the developers have moved, hidden or just removed the ability to use contact addresses for navigation.
    Has anyone figured out how to use contact addresses in the new Maps?

For now, I have uninstalled the app since it appears to be unstable. Not being able to input destinations via voice commands or from contact addresses makes the new maps/navigation app utterly useless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post

Old Process:
    5 Steps

Open Navigation Icon > Press Search Bar > Press Voice Button > Speak Address > Click Navigate.

New Process:
    3 Steps

Open Google Now > Say, "Google! Navigate to (Speak Address) > Click Navigate.
    Again this is wonderful if you're sitting in your living room.
    Try it in the car in city traffic (have to use hands free in DC) , or on the interstate.
    And it's nice if you know all the addresses you want to go to.
    Why can't I just say navigate to Jill Smiths (it's in contacts) ? Doesn't seem to work in new version
    And it's nice if the voice recognition understands the entire address.

So touch input is still very necessary.

Sent from my M470BSA

Worked great thanks. I like this app. I use it all the time.

Mine updated automatically and its gone. The Google maps nav sucks... and I don't mean in a good war. Was lost for hours on the back roads of Wisconsin. Thanks Google.

I have an EVO on Sprint.

Don't hold you breath for Google to respond to user feedback.

-edit-
    Removed text. This should've been a reply to a question.

Why do people keep complaining about Navigation being GONE?

Just enter where you want to go in the Google Maps search bar... then click the little icon of a carwith the estimated time uunderneath... and that's it! Navigation comes up and sends you were you want to go.

Am I missing something here??? I don't understand all these posts about Navigation being "missing" from the latest Google Maps.
    Unfortunately no:
    1. Can't turn off voice assist (annoying if you only use maps for live traffic info)
    2. Can't use addresses of contacts
    3. Your place on the map is a vague dot (in Navigation you're a clear arrow)
    4. In Navigation, you can easily zoom out to view the entire route, or zoom in to your position with 1 push of a button. That's gone now.
    5. A series of basic settings was easily accessible in Navigation. Now, you can only change settings by going into a menu and then sub-menu items,
    6. The traffic colors were shown in a clear thick line on roads in Navigation. Now, they're 'subtle' colored lines. This is not ideal for a car navigation system, where you want to quickly see the status on your map instead of really having to look on the map instead of on the road.
    Bottom line: if you're using Navigation (frequently) avoid this update until Google takes car navigation seriously again.

Jesus Christ... THE NAVIGATION APP HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED... IT'S JUST NOW ACCESSED THRU GOOGLE MAPS. BEFORE THERE WAS AN ICON THAT WAS A SHORT CUT TO IT... BUT NOW INSTEAD OF CLICKING THE NAVIGATION ICON... CLICK GOOGLE MAPS. IT'S THE SAME THING!
    I guess people react like this because.... THEY CAN'T BELIEVE GOOGLE HAS MUTILATED THE NAVIGATION FEATURE SO HORRENDOUSLY THAT THEY WANT THEIR OLD NAVIGATION BACK. THIS NEW "INTEGRATION" IS NOT THE SAME THING!

Yes, same here. Found out today when trying to use Google Navigation it was missing. As you mentioned, a new Google map app had been installed.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Navigation needs to be brought back as a separate application; the two apps were integrated in a way that they shared some of the same data (the maps), but they were independent applications. The old Maps/Navigation were more of a program suite, a la MS Office; so trying to act like they were the same app is like saying that word and excel are the same application just because they are both part of MS Office.

The new maps part could be the best in the entire universe, and I still would never use them because it lacks the Navigation app.

And to the person who suggested posting a review to the Google Maps app; well I will get right on that as soon as Google removes the stupid requirement of having to use the junk that is Google+ to comment on apps which are in the marketplace.

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliaila View Post
    Navigation needs to be brought back as a separate application; the two apps were integrated in a way that they shared some of the same data (the maps), but they were independent applications. The old Maps/Navigation were more of a program suite, a la MS Office; so trying to act like they were the same app is like saying that word and excel are the same application just because they are both part of MS Office.

The new maps part could be the best in the entire universe, and I still would never use them because it lacks the Navigation app.

And to the person who suggested posting a review to the Google Maps app; well I will get right on that as soon as Google removes the stupid requirement of having to use the junk that is Google+ to comment on apps which are in the marketplace.
    I think what they mean by they are the same app is that they are both part of the Map's application. In the Play Store, there never was a Navigation app that was receiving separate updates, or that was downloadable independent of Maps. It's better to think of it maybe as an add-on to the Map's application, but you couldn't download one without the other and Navigation was only updated via the Map's application. Downloading the APK for Maps included Navigation by default. Rather than the Excel vs Word it's more like Excel and Office. You download office, it comes with Excel. You update Office, that updates Excel, etc.

crester likes this.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast