Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Default Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Can't use addresses of contacts? Sure you can!

In the search bar on the Maps app, if I start typing the name of a contact (e.g., "Steve"), by the time I get to the "v" I see a list of every name in my contact DB that starts with "Stev". If I keep typing it narrows the list down. When I see the contact I want, all I have to do is tap it and the address is populated into the maps search bar, the location of that address centered in the map, and a navigation icon at the bottom right of the screen.
    Thanks, that's one of the many things I left off my list

Sent from my M470BSA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Vieux View Post
    This is still available in the new Maps.
    Tap the top info bar that shows the next turn.
    An arrow ">", appears on the right hand side.
    As you tap that arrow the map jumps to the next turn, so you can go through the entire route by continually tapping the, >

Sent from my M470BSA
    I noticed this too while fiddling with Maps the other day. I was hoping you could use the Step-by-Step list to access arbitrary waypoints and use streetview to get an idea of what you'd be seeing at that point on your route. The old Map/Nav apps had this feature. I vaguely remember using it a couple of times in an unfamiliar city to take a look at a highway interchange or complex intersection. I just booted up my old Droid Incredible and confirmed that the old apps had this capability.

Hopefully Google will add this feature back.

thanx

Uninstalled update... Life is good now.. Sometimes change is not a good idea

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    trd 4rnr likes this.

I just noticed my Navigation is gone. I used it frequently and really miss it.

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Patterson View Post
    I just noticed my Navigation is gone. I used it frequently and really miss it.
    IT'S NOT MISSING!!! Click on Google Maps... enter your destination... and it will navigate you!

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    IT'S NOT MISSING!!! Click on Google Maps... enter your destination... and it will navigate you!
    It's not missing but it's not as good as it was. I uninstalled the update. Didn't care for the new version, terrible to see in my dock.
    Dee Perlenfein likes this.

I had to go in and uninstall updates on the Googles Maps which is connected with the Navagation app and now it is working great.

I couldn't get the new updated navigation to work at all, so I uninstalled the new updates and it's working fine again

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Can't use addresses of contacts? Sure you can!

In the search bar on the Maps app, if I start typing the name of a contact (e.g., "Steve"), by the time I get to the "v" I see a list of every name in my contact DB that starts with "Stev". If I keep typing it narrows the list down. When I see the contact I want, all I have to do is tap it and the address is populated into the maps search bar, the location of that address centered in the map, and a navigation icon at the bottom right of the screen.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, when I tired to use the updated app the first time I was on a trip and did not have time to play with it so I uninstalled it.
    Now if google would only FIX the app so it would not CRASH EVERY TIME I try to speak the names in my contact list. That would make the app MUCH more useful for me.

UGH! Google Maps just took me to the wrong place. Even after I entered the address. Well, I suppose I could have parked in front of the house, walked through their backyard, climbed a retaining wall to get to my destination which was on a different street.

I was a bit stressed this morning when I tried checking Navigation for the day camp I needed to drop my daughter off at only to find Navigation gone, along with the address I had entered 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had time to get the address and enter it into the updated version (Google Maps), and it failed on getting to destination.

I'll be working on getting the old version back.

Greatly appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone

i feel the same way. google now feels like microsoft; i am a software developer and backward compatibility is a golden rule.
    i do not live my life to 'learn' google

by the way even if you uninstall the update it keeps coming back like in a horror story

Red face Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Thank you ...thank you....thank you. Just noticed this am that my blue arrow was missing and freaked as this is the best navigation system I've ever used. I followed your instructions to uninstall updates and its back. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by nanjil View Post
    by the way even if you uninstall the update it keeps coming back like in a horror story
    You have auto update set to on, in Google Play settings.
    Go to Google Play, open settings, and Auto Update on/off are on the first page.

Sent from my M470BSA

Quote Originally Posted by Barblau View Post
    UGH! Google Maps just took me to the wrong place. Even after I entered the address. Well, I suppose I could have parked in front of the house, walked through their backyard, climbed a retaining wall to get to my destination which was on a different street.

I was a bit stressed this morning when I tried checking Navigation for the day camp I needed to drop my daughter off at only to find Navigation gone, along with the address I had entered 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had time to get the address and enter it into the updated version (Google Maps), and it failed on getting to destination.

I'll be working on getting the old version back.

Greatly appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone
    Barblau.
    When you open Maps, tap on the Head & shoulder icon in the search bar.
    Every address you have ever used is listed there.
    Every search you've ever done is there.
    They are in order by Time, newest first.

First card is Recently saved places
    Second card is recently accessed places
    If it doesn't show up on either of those cards, tap view all at the bottom of the cards.

Sent from my M470BSA
    Last edited by Michael Vieux; 07-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.

ROM
    Kernel 3.0.31-1016990

Am I right in thinking that the integration of this Beta navigation into Google Maps isn't real-time while in motion like the old blue navigation icon app was?

And if this is the case then for Google to put out a beta which doesn't have the real-time navigation is plain stupid, having said that was the old Navigation application from Google or was it nothing to do with them? I am sure that on my phone it was pre-installed.

Edit:

The un-installing the Maps updates didn't help for me, all it did was to remove the original map icon and in it's place were 2 Android icons, the first one if hit on took me to a message about the new beta and I had the choice of opening it which I refused, and the second similar android icon would open the previous version of maps only, so this for me anyway didn't put back the older nav icon with the blue arrow. I use the Samsang Galaxy Ace 2 which I just upgraded to JellyBean yesterday.
    Last edited by fablis; 07-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Stupid question, I know.

How do you clear the new map? I used the "navigation" feature and now I can't get rid of that destination at the bottom of the map.

worked perfect thank you. navigation is back thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by knwachter View Post
    Stupid question, I know.

How do you clear the new map? I used the "navigation" feature and now I can't get rid of that destination at the bottom of the map.
    Tap the Back Button, or icon on your phone, then,
    Tap the X in the search bar

Sent from my M470BSA

Quote Originally Posted by fablis View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the integration of this Beta navigation into Google Maps isn't real-time while in motion like the old blue navigation icon app was?

And if this is the case then for Google to put out a beta which doesn't have the real-time navigation is plain stupid, having said that was the old Navigation application from Google or was it nothing to do with them? I am sure that on my phone it was pre-installed.

Edit:

The un-installing the Maps updates didn't help for me, all it did was to remove the original map icon and in it's place were 2 Android icons, the first one if hit on took me to a message about the new beta and I had the choice of opening it which I refused, and the second similar android icon would open the previous version of maps only, so this for me anyway didn't put back the older nav icon with the blue arrow. I use the Samsang Galaxy Ace 2 which I just upgraded to JellyBean yesterday.

The Navigation is in real time just like the old version, my wife uses it every day.
    Are you saying your location icon didn't move as you traveled?

All Google apps are Beta.
    When you first open any version of Maps, (new or old) and start to use Navigation.
    You got a pop up box telling you it was Beta, you could not continue until you agreed, you could also check a box to not show this info again.

Perhaps it's been awhile since the first time you used whichever version you were used to.
    But the Beta message was there.

Sent from my M470BSA

The Navigation is in real time just like the old version, my wife uses it every day.
    Are you saying your location icon didn't move as you traveled?
    I think the feature referred to here is the moving Navigation map with no set destination. It's not a big deal to me but I could see how some would miss it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sixty_four View Post
    I think the feature referred to here is the moving Navigation map with no set destination. It's not a big deal to me but I could see how some would miss it.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I've never used that feature, and I never saw a need for it.
    But I know everyone uses their tech differently, and just because I don't see a need, doesn't mean there isn't one.

PS. I had to go out and drive around to see what you were referring to.
    I still use version 6.14.2 on my phone.
    Version 7 on my tablet, and wife's phone.

Still trying to see what I prefer

Sent from my M470BSA
    sixty_four likes this.

Still trying to see what I prefer
    I've got version 7 on my S3 and Nexus 7 and 6.x on my old Droid Inc. There's a few things I miss from the old maps (mentioned above so I'll won't beat that dead horse) but I like the look and feel of the new version.

For my purposes, I would be happy with either version to be perfectly honest.

Not exactly intuitive. Thanks...it was driving me crazy.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast